Locking up an unloaded gun

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:26 pm
Is it required by any law or agency (dyfus) that a registered, unloaded gun (pistol;) be locked up in a lock box? I ask because if the need for protection were to arise, how am I supposed to climb in the attic, undo a combination lock, and load my clip...is this infringing on my right?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 08:36 pm
@jenniferherber411,
That depends on what jurisdiction you reside in. In the USA each states has different laws regarding firearms. (Actually, I know of no state which requires one to keep an unloaded firearm to be under lock and key. I could be wrong on that but I've never heard of such a law.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 10:09 pm
@jenniferherber411,
You have the right to place the lockbox anywhere you wish to inside your home, don't you? If you choose to place it in an attic, you might want to rethink your strategy.

No law can fix that for you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:28 pm
@jenniferherber411,
In any case, if you've kids…..
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:35 pm
@jenniferherber411,
There's alway biometric safes which read your fingerprint to open the door.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=biometric%20gun%20safe&sprefix=biometri%2Caps%2C439

Why keep your gun in the attic unless your bed is there as well? I'm sure that isn't a clause in any gun control law of any western country.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
If someone dangerous has entered your house, isn't the attic a pretty good place to be?
roger

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Sure. Get out the ladder, climb up, open the trap door and climb in. Pull the ladder up behind you and close the access door.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:53 pm
@roger,
You could use the big slipper to deter intruders.

http://patriciachan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/big-monkey-slipper.jpg

Billy explains how it works. It starts about 4.00

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 07:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Locking up your guns does make it harder for your kids to defend themselves.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
harder for your kids to defend themselves
My grownup sons and I go out plinking frequently and so at this stage of their existence I see no no need for such caution, but when in the range 5 to 7 I can't agree they're ready to be so trained
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 03:59 pm
@jenniferherber411,
There is no law that says an unloaded gun of any type must be locked up, nor does the law say a loaded gun must be locked up.
While it is good safety to lock up a gun, or at least keep it out of the reach of kids, an unloaded gun does not have to be locked up.
Locking up a loaded gun is good common sense, but if that isn't possible you need to at least keep it where little kids can't get at it.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 07:50 pm
@mysteryman,
Careful, MM. The OP might not be in the USA. A number of European countries where a civilian can actually get a permit to carry have quite strict laws about keeping a pistol or long gun under lock and key when in the home. And in the USA such laws vary from state to state. For example, I see on these threads people advising a gun be kept locked in the trunk of the car if you decide to not wear it when you leave the vehicle. In Massachusetts that would be illegal. Suppose your car gets stolen while you're gone from it?
roger

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 08:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
On state laws, there used to be a problem on the NC/SC border. In one state, any firearm was required to be locked in the trunk, or otherwise outside the drivers control. In the other, it had to be inside the vehicle and in plain sight.

This is not recent knowledge, but illustrates the difference between one state and another.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:28 am
@jenniferherber411,
jenniferherber411 wrote:
Is it required by any law or agency (dyfus) that a registered, unloaded gun (pistol;) be locked up in a lock box? I ask because if the need for protection were to arise, how am I supposed to climb in the attic, undo a combination lock, and load my clip...is this infringing on my right?

If a gun is on standby for self defense, it should really be in a holster (and loaded) at all times.

As for what the law requires, that depends on what jurisdiction you reside in.

If you are in the US, it shouldn't be more than a year or two until the Supreme Court mandates that Americans everywhere have the right to carry guns when they go about in public, even in our largest cities. But until then, some cities are enforcing oppressive regulations.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:19 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If you are in the US, it shouldn't be more than a year or two until the Supreme Court mandates that Americans everywhere have the right to carry guns when they go about in public, even in our largest cities. But until then, some cities are enforcing oppressive regulations.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dream on, oral, dream on!

(And pls don't reply to this post; I have no desire to engage in conversation with you over this fresh outburst of idiocy.)

oralloy

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 02:44 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dream on, oral, dream on!

There's no need to dream. The case is already working its way through the appeals courts. It's only a matter of time before it hits the Supreme Court.

We're due for the three-judge appeals ruling to come down any day now in fact. I haven't checked for awhile, so the ruling may even have already been released. (I'll have to go check.)

After that, no matter which side wins, the next step will be to appeal to the full panel of appeals judges.

And after they rule, no matter who wins, we're off to the Supreme Court. Time for another majority opinion written by Justice Scalia methinks.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
(And pls don't reply to this post; I have no desire to engage in conversation with you over this fresh outburst of idiocy.)

Pointing out facts about pending court cases is hardly idiocy.

And when you make posts that deny reality, I pretty much have to respond, to set the record straight.
oralloy

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:18 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
We're due for the three-judge appeals ruling to come down any day now in fact. I haven't checked for awhile, so the ruling may even have already been released. (I'll have to go check.)

Yes. The three-judge panel reversed the lower ruling, so our side lost the most recent round in Maryland. But now it's on to the en banc appeal.

Meanwhile our side won the en banc appeal in Chicago. Presumably the city will be appealing to the Supreme Court.

I'd guess that the Supreme Court will wait to see the results of the en banc appeal in Maryland instead of jumping right into the Chicago appeal. But we'll have to see what they ultimately do.
0 Replies