Fellow Bostonians: How many of us wished we had an assault weapon last night?

H2O MAN

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

We have a dedicated professional police force that did an amazing job. That was more than enough.

They are awesome... maybe Obama could use them to root out the guys that murdered our ambassador and others in Benghazi.
H2O MAN

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:26 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

People with guns have a tendency to shoot people with those guns instead of working things out.

Car jacking, robbing and general mayhem are not usually associated with the victim having the chance to work things out.
BillRM

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
An how many of your fellow cab drivers had been killed over the years without any need for the robbers to do so and without any resistance by the drivers?

You placed your bet one way or another with your life on the line and my bet is to fight if at all possible.

That may at some future time may cause my death or save my life.

As had been pointed out the man that was carjack by these cold blooded killers was let go but it not the way I would had bet.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The reason I don't own a gun, it seemed more dangerous, not less, having one.

We all feel much safer knowing that you don't own a gun, less than one, none.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:30 pm
@H2O MAN,
That's why you just give them what they want. They'll eventually get caught, and pay the piker.

You can take your chances, if that's your thing.
Quote:
Law enforcement agencies nationwide cleared 46.5 percent of violent crimes in 2003. By offense type, agencies cleared 62.4 percent of murders, 55.9 percent of aggravated assaults, 44.0 percent of forcible rapes, and 26.3 percent of robberies.

JTT

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
that murdered our ambassador

Ho hum, same ole same old. You know by now, h20guy, that when there is trouble in the world, dollars to donuts it's the US that is causing that trouble.

He was committing terrorist acts for the US government, which were resulting in war crimes for which the US is responsible.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're one family; look at the totals.

Over 3,000 children are killed by guns ever year.

Three hundred millions population with over 300 hundred millions firearms in half the homes in the country.
0 Replies

JTT

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
and pay the piker.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 08:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's why you just give them what they want. They'll eventually get caught,

Is that your sheeple mentality at work, or were you born to submit.
BillRM

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 08:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
I have no problem with CI wishing to live his life as a sheep just with him wishing to interfere with the people who prefer not to do so.

Neither wolves or sheep live forever in any case.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:07 pm
I can only speak for myself, but if I was locked inside my home with a murderous bomber on the loose; looking to allude the police, I would feel safer having a gun.

I doubt very much that all who agree with me would want to take that gun out into the streets to find and shoot the villain.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:26 pm
@BillRM,
I'm a 77 year old sheep. I did my battles as a child, because I wore glasses, and learned very quickly that fighting stopped the haunts about my wearing glasses. I also served in the USAF and worked with nuclear weapons for four years. We had to carry 38's when we worked with the weapons on the flight line - to protect ourselves and the weapon.

There's always a time and place in any man's life when we become soldiers, and do what we must as ordered.

I've never been a "chicken" in my life, and never will be no matter how old I become. It surely depends on the circumstances.
edgarblythe

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
These asses are down to taunting, because they have no real arguments, CI.
oralloy

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 12:35 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
These asses are down to taunting, because they have no real arguments, CI.

"Refusing to let a liberal tell you that you should accept being a victim" is hardly "taunting".

And there are plenty of real arguments on our side, starting with the fact that every single one of your silly claims are untrue.

I'd have thought you'd know to quit while you are behind, before your defeat grows even worse yet. Guess not though.

Thanks for the part you played in helping Obama wreck his second term and elect a Republican as president in 2016.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 06:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Both my wife and I are not all that younger then you and both of us have guns as a part of our lives for most of our lives.

My wife before I even met would her carry firearms around with her when she was flying and driving herself alone around the mid-west in relationship to her career needs.

Neither of us have a problem with you not thinking that firearms add to your safety however we both have a problem with what seems like a strong desire of your to interfere with our rights to have that protection available to us.
farmerman

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 07:41 am
@BillRM,
I most often require a sidearm when in the field. We have bears and all sorts of animals who dont appreciate people and we have people who would like to possess what you have. Im not making any excuses.
Im trained and have used my weapon .Its a tool with one purpose.

However, Id like to see a society where I could trust that we wouldnt need them. I dont see a gun as a phallic substitute like some of these guys here. Its a fuckin necessary tool like a drill rig is to me. I would like to see the generational rise of our collective civility do away wth the need to carry or even own, where long weapons would only be used for hunting and sidearms for target practice and the police.

I see that its gonna not happen in my lifetime but I predict that it will and the second amendment will be manipulated into something that evolved away from a wild west culture of wepons .
The old Om Sig (btw , where is the old fart?) chestnut that and armed society is a poilite society is just bullshit. An armed society is a society that will turn to guns to settle disagreements, thats a fact .

The rhetoric used by both sides is tiring and wont be bridged soon . Guys like oralloy see themselves as protectors of some natural "Right" and thats a phony construct sold to him by the gun manufacturers whove got him by the nuts and brains. Anti Gun people are mostly avoiding the entire discussion of the overall utility of guns and their rightful place as a tool of sport and protection . Consequently it seems there isnt any compromise and its turned dirty with assertions flyinmg all over the place.

My 5 point plan of safetyizing our society is based upon points that are equally unacceptable by both sides, like armed guards in schools , but also enhanced checking on owners and widening the National Firearms act, also a modification of the econd amendmenty which is purposely vague (Its the only amendment so )
BillRM

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 07:55 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
We have bears and all sorts of animals who dont appreciate people and we have people who would like to possess what you have

Somehow I do not see my wife viewing a gun as a phallic substitute but as a protection against the most deadly predators on the planet far more deadly then bears.

When she is doing a pre flight check just after dawn at a small general aviation field with zero on site security she have a right to have a firearm with her in my opinion and the hell with the anti-gun crowd.
farmerman

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 08:10 am
@BillRM,
Its a silly argument anyway Billy, whos more dangerous a six hundred pound male black bear or a 200 pound druggie.
I dont usually entertain you because your arguments are more "situationally malleable"
Ive been pretty constant about my feelings about guns. I own em, I use em, I dont necessarily like the fact that everyone can have free access to em. (That to me is insane), AND then we wont fund or allow us to try to determine who may possibly NOT be a responsible gun owner, or whether they are already dangerous.
See then we are ARMING THE BEARS.
H2O MAN

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 08:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

See then we are ARMING THE BEARS.

... a Robin Williams skit
0 Replies

Ceili

Sun 21 Apr, 2013 09:31 am
This is such a stupid question. There were guns all over the marathon site, they didn't protect anyone. Two cops were shot, one killed, both were armed and trained, guns didn't protect them.
One can only imagine the further chaos had yahoos joined the hunt.