'Ricin' found in letter to US Senator Roger Wicker

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:03 pm
Quote:
A letter containing ricin or another poisonous substance has been posted to a US senator, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has said.

The letter was intended for Roger Wicker, a Republican senator representing Mississippi, Mr Reid told the Associated Press news agency.

It was intercepted at a centre handling post for the Capitol in Washington DC, US media report.

Ricin, extracted from castor beans, is 1,000 times more toxic than cyanide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22178517
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,116 • Replies: 18

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Dammit. But glad it was intercepted.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:31 pm

Now a ricin mailing to President Obama was also intercepted.

I recall how 9/11 was followed up with anthrax mailings.

I guess we know who was behind the Boston bombings now.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:35 pm
@oralloy,
I don't see how that would lead you to any conclusions. The anthrax mailings were considered to be domestic while 911 was foreign.
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:40 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I don't see how that would lead you to any conclusions. The anthrax mailings were considered to be domestic while 911 was foreign.

The 2001 anthrax mailings were al-Qa'ida.

The 2013 ricin mailings are al-Qa'ida.

The 2013 Boston Marathon bombings were al-Qa'ida.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:42 pm
@engineer,
And how to make letters with ricin could quite easily be found out via the FBI-website:
http://i48.tinypic.com/ern77b.jpg
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:59 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The 2001 anthrax mailings were al-Qa'ida.

You need to tell that to the FBI because they closed the case after saying Bruce Edwards Ivins, a scientist who worked at the government's biodefense labs at Fort Detrick was the sole culprit. They even paid out a lawsuit. It's also not believable that Al Qaida went through all that trouble to target news agencies and a couple of Democratic Senators and didn't bother with anyone in the White House or the Defense Department.
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 01:12 pm
@engineer,

I think it has already dawned on them that they are buffoons who hounded an innocent scientist to his death.

engineer wrote:
It's also not believable that Al Qaida went through all that trouble to target news agencies and a couple of Democratic Senators and didn't bother with anyone in the White House or the Defense Department.

I have no trouble believing it.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 01:24 pm
@oralloy,
You believe that Al Qaida
a) Got the Ames strain of anthrax from a US research facility
b) Decided to send them to major US news outlets and a couple of tabloids in the mail instead of going after political targets.
c) Did not decide to go to a major city and just release it to the air where it would have done a huge amount of damage.
d) Chose not to claim credit for a successful attack even though they've consistently claimed credit for other attacks, even failures.
e) Have never repeated the attack.

Any one of those bullet points would eliminate Al Qaida for me. All five of them completely takes them off the table.
oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 02:27 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
You believe that Al Qaida
a) Got the Ames strain of anthrax from a US research facility

They likely got it from somewhere other than a US facility.

engineer wrote:
b) Decided to send them to major US news outlets and a couple of tabloids in the mail instead of going after political targets.

They sent anthrax (and now ricin) to political targets as well as to the media.

And they don't always hit political targets with every single blow. The World Trade Center, for example, was not a political target. It was attacked to massacre civilians in a spectacular way.

engineer wrote:
c) Did not decide to go to a major city and just release it to the air where it would have done a huge amount of damage.

Successfully spreading it widely is easier said than done.

Plus, they might not have had a huge amount to disperse. And making people fear the mail would be something they'd find appealing.

engineer wrote:
d) Chose not to claim credit for a successful attack even though they've consistently claimed credit for other attacks, even failures.

They claimed credit for 9/11. The anthrax attacks were part of 9/11.

engineer wrote:
e) Have never repeated the attack.

They've never repeated flying hijacked airplanes into buildings either.

But in any case, they have repeated the anthrax mailings, with these ricin attacks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:50 pm
@engineer,
Whoever is sending this stuff is an attention seeker, they think they're controlling things, the attempt, despite the substance's toxicity, is not serious.

Let's face it, if you wanted to kill a public official by sending poison through the post the worst time to do it is right after a terrorist strike, when security is at its height.

All this does is use up resources that could be put to better effect somewhere else.

Whoever is doing this, they remind me of Wearside Jack, that faker who wrote letters and tapes, pretending to be the Yorkshire Ripper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wearside_Jack

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 10:33 am
Arrest made:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDYQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-504083_162-57580199-504083%2Fpaul-kevin-curtis-miss-man-arrested-in-ricin-tainted-letter-case%2F&ei=DhdwUfyEH8LA4AO6xoGADA&usg=AFQjCNFntoA3FnO2ZsyCF2DUPjZoOjEynA&sig2=lfxJUE8a-OZC5vXp8cEupw&bvm=bv.45368065,d.dmg
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:14 am
@engineer,
Your link's not working.

Quote:
A man in Mississippi has been charged with threatening US President Barack Obama, after allegedly sending a letter containing suspected ricin to him.

Paul Kevin Curtis was arrested on Wednesday after letters were found addressed to Mr Obama and a senator.

Initial tests on the letters, identified at remote facilities, showed the presence of the lethal toxin.

The FBI has said there is "no indication of a connection" between the letters and Monday's Boston attack.

The letters addressed to the president and Republican Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker were both postmarked Memphis, Tennessee, and dated 8 April.

They read: "To see a wrong and not expose it, is to become a silent partner to its continuance," according to US media citing intelligence sources.

They were reportedly signed: "I am KC and I approve this message."

The FBI said Mr Curtis also allegedly sent a third letter positively identified for ricin to a Mississippi justice official.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22205050
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:37 pm
@engineer,

Let's hope they actually got the right guy and are not destroying the life of yet another innocent person due to their continuing incompetence.
JTT

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:57 pm
@engineer,
God, I hate it when you make perfect sense, E!!!!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 07:53 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Let's hope they actually got the right guy and are not destroying the life of yet another innocent person due to their continuing incompetence.

Oops, wrong guy. Feds drop all the charges.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 01:27 am
@engineer,
He may be the wrong guy, but he's quite interesting. From your link.

Quote:
"I've had several people call me over the past four years and say I'm interested in your book, I've read the four or five chapters you have online, I was captivated, I was on the edge of my seat, it's thought provoking," Curtis said at the press conference. "And I would get into my car and start driving to a hotel, and someone would crash into my car, total my car out, burn down my home, car explode, death threats, it was always a distraction. Always, every single time a publisher would call me, I was distracted somehow."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 01:47 am
@engineer,
Quote:

Isn't that supposed to be the reason for a grand jury - to prevent such fuckups?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 01:47 am
@engineer,
Quote:

Isn't that supposed to be the reason for a grand jury - to prevent such fuckups?
0 Replies