Chemistry quiz - What's the correct chemical NAME for water?

Thomas

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
patiodog wrote:
Nothing wrong with it, but how is it to associate with hydroxide? To generate H2O from H- and OH-, we've got to get rid of the two electrons, and therefore must have either a cationic intermediate or two radicals.

Fair enough. But Oxygen dihydride has the same problem. So if you start the name with the Anion, which I admit uncommon, how do you call the H+ part if you don't call it "acid"?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:05 pm
Thomas wrote:
Boring but true answer: None of the ~20 chemists I know say anything else but "water".

The interesting answer is given in the FAQ of the authoritive website on this dangerous, lethal substance, dhmo.org. "Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the unstable radical Hydroxide, the components of which are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol. "

Don't forget that this dangerous compound has been known to indescriminately kill!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 01:05 pm
Thomas wrote:
Boring but true answer: None of the ~20 chemists I know say anything else but "water".

The interesting answer is given in the FAQ of the authoritive website on this dangerous, lethal substance, dhmo.org. "Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the unstable radical Hydroxide, the components of which are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol. "

Don't forget that this dangerous compound has been known to indescriminately kill!
0 Replies

g day

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
No, no pratical joke planned, it just randomly Smile popped into my head a few weeks back!
0 Replies

patiodog

Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
Thomas wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Nothing wrong with it, but how is it to associate with hydroxide? To generate H2O from H- and OH-, we've got to get rid of the two electrons, and therefore must have either a cationic intermediate or two radicals.

Fair enough. But Oxygen dihydride has the same problem. So if you start the name with the Anion, which I admit uncommon, how do you call the H+ part if you don't call it "acid"?

Beats me. Water, I s'pose.
0 Replies

rishi banerjee

Wed 13 Jun, 2012 09:58 am
@g day,
oxidane
0 Replies

Sanctified

Thu 14 Jun, 2012 07:49 am
Hydrogen oxide- reminds one of hydrogen sulphide. I believe this is why h2o2 is called hydrogen 'PERoxide'
0 Replies

raprap

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 08:11 am
@g day,
In the index of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry there's this entry.

Sea Water--See Water, Sea

Rap
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 22 Dec, 2012 08:34 am
@g day,
@ALL

Has it really come to this???
0 Replies

kunal rajput

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 08:07 am
@g day,
Dihydrogen monoxide

Water
Chemical Compound
Water is the most abundant compound on Earth's surface, covering about 70 percent of the planet. In nature, water exists in liquid, solid, and gaseous states. Wikipedia
Density: 1,000.00 kg/m³
Molar mass: 18.01528 g/mol
Boiling point: 99.98 °C
Formula: H2O
Melting point: 0.0 °C
IUPAC ID: Water, Oxidane
0 Replies

MattieSmith

Mon 20 Jan, 2014 07:13 pm
@g day,
Water IUPAC ID
Water Oxidane
Is this what you've looking for? Sorry if this is wrong.

0 Replies

Wilso

Mon 3 Feb, 2014 07:40 pm
I look through my posts from 10 years ago, and they no longer mean anything to me. Use it or lose it!
0 Replies

xwilly21

Tue 8 Apr, 2014 06:28 pm
@g day,
the chemical name for water is dihydrogen monoxide
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 11 Apr, 2014 01:36 am
Quote:
"Dihydrogen monoxide", shortened to "DHMO", is a name for water that is consistent with the basic rules of chemical nomenclature,[2] but is not among the names published by IUPAC[2] and is almost exclusively used as a joke or hoax.

0 Replies