We are all like little children who often say: "Mom, Dad, leave me alone, I want to be on my own".

Leaffan

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 05:28 pm
A few months ago I was travelling on a plane. It was a charter flight, and the plane was full. The people were returning from vacation, talking, laughing, drinking. We had taken off and had been in the air for about 20 minutes when the loud speaker said: "This is the pilot speaking. We are having an emergency situation on board. The air pressure is falling. The airtight system must have been damaged. In a few seconds the gas masks will be dropped. Press them tightly against your face. We are beginning to go down." Dead silence. Then the masks flop out. Everybody grabs a mask and begins to breathe nervously. I feel a sharp pain in my ears, the plane must be descending pretty steeply. Why is it so quiet? I realize that the engines have been turned off. I'm all shaking on the inside. Is that the end? Perhaps, they'll say about the crash in the evening news. Is it really happening to me, or am I in a dream? I look through the window. There are clouds all around. Yes, it's real. If only they could land the plane! I'm beginning to panic. I must pool myself together. I begin to pray. The more I focus on talking to God, the less panic I feel. It all lasted for ten or fifteen minutes but I don't think I'll ever forget it. The crew managed to fix the problem and we landed safely. Let me ask all those agnostics, atheists, materialists, etc., what would you focus on in such a situation? Crossword puzzle? What would you think about at death's door? You don't believe in eternal life, do you? You will, probably, look back over the years you've lived and say: What was it all about?

We are all like little children who often say: "Mom, Dad, leave me alone, I want to be on my own". But when trouble comes they cry: "Mom, Dad, help me!" And that's natural. We are all God's children. Whom else should we turn to in times of trial and sufferings but our Father?

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:33 am
I would "turn" to my loved ones. Call them and tell them I loved them. comfirt someone near me who needed it. Tell the person next to me that I loved him/her.

rosborne979

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 07:37 am
@Leaffan,
There must have been atheists on that plane too. But I don't see them posting little self righteous parables implying that everyone else should be an atheist.

Perhaps as Punkey implied, they were all busy comforting others rather than worrying about themselves or preaching their views.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:11 am
@rosborne979,
There have been plenty of atheists in foxholes.
I would say that when in mortal danger it is better to behave like a grownup than a child.
Below viewing threshold (view)
rosborne979

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:40 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
I would say that when in mortal danger it is better to behave like a grownup than a child.
That would be nice. But inevitably people's behavior is an expression of what they are, they can be no other way.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 12:58 pm
@rosborne979,
True, but it would be nice.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 01:28 pm
@JLNobody,
Yes it would. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 01:30 pm
My response to that "no atheists in foxholes" bullsh*t is that hunkering down in a bunker, clutching one's rifle and saying: "Oh god, oh god, oh god" doesn't make one a theist.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2013 02:53 pm
Some people have been known to cry out for their mothers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:43 am
@Leaffan,
Quote:
The more I focus on talking to God, the less panic I feel.

If that worked for you, so be it. Talking to a "god" in an emergency may be helpful, but does not prove the existence of such a being. It only proves that you are looking outside of yourself for comfort, during a psychologically grueling experience.

Many years ago, I was given a diagnosis of terminal cancer. (the doctor was obviously wrong). I did many things that comforted me. I learned as much about the disease as I could, and without a computer. I joined a self-help group with others who were in similar situations. I decided that I was going to be "the greatest role model", and discussed my condition, ad nauseum, with anyone who would listen.

In other words, in a serious emergency, I looked inside of myself for comfort, rather than outward. It is the difference between praying and meditating.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:27 am
The real problem is that God is a crappy parent. We do better on our own.

I moved out (from God) as soon as I could and I never looked back. By life has been decent ever since.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:38 pm
@mark noble,
Wow, do you feel good about yourself for this vitriol?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:40 pm
Why do non-believers view this as an affront?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:45 pm
@Leaffan,
If there was one person on your plane saying to themselves " I'm OK with dying and will never beg for help from a Supreme Being" that would be one more than we could reasonably expect.

Of course, what people genetically programmed to live do in an impending death situation has no bearing what-so-ever on whether there is a God.

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:03 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
In other words, in a serious emergency, I looked inside of myself for comfort, rather than outward. It is the difference between praying and meditating.

I agree. A few years ago I found out I have a chronic disease that will likely be my cause of death, if I don't get hit by a bus sooner. I have learned to live with it and am relatively healthy for my age. At first I took it seriously, not knowing what I know now, that I may live many more years with it. I am not appealing to God as, if there is one, I doubt he could or would do anything about it. I try to pay more attention to my loved ones and be a better person overall. It's part of life. I just don't accept that there is some higher power controlling everyone's life and death, therefore, praying to God would not affect things one way or the other.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 09:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
But is there anything wrong with praying to God for help?

(Assuming one is not entirely consumed in such an effort, and is unable to appreciate what time one has left)
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 10:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I took offense at the tone of the OP. The idea that adults are "little children" when we choose not to look for help from God is patronizing, particularly for those of us who don't believe in God.

Also the cliche about "no atheists in foxholes" is clearly false. If you don't believe in God, you are not going to be looking for God's help in a crisis any more than I look for Santa Claus to bring me presents at Christmas.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I took offense at the tone of the OP. The idea that adults are "little children" when we choose not to look for help from God is patronizing, particularly for those of us who don't believe in God.

Also the cliche about "no atheists in foxholes" is clearly false. If you don't believe in God, you are not going to be looking for God's help in a crisis any more than I look for Santa Claus to bring me presents at Christmas.

Max, I also do not "believe" in any gods...and the tone of the OP was insulting.

But I had a different take on the title of the piece.

I have often suggested that the only meaningful prayer (for those who do "believe" in gods) should be a variation on: Lord...why not go to some other galaxy and get involved with some other beings. "We humans want to do this thing by ourselves...and we don't want your help."

Somehow, I suspect most of the theists will never buy into that, because as the OP suggests, FEAR is what motivates them.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 06:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No.
I do, nevertheless feel fuckin awesome, in general though.
Do you feel good about yourself (Whatever that means) when you systematically imply your generic standards upon others?