Non-Family male in relationship with SGA (who left group)

COG-BF

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:00 pm
Hello - I'm a middle-aged man dating a woman who was born and raised in 'Children of God' (she left group and has been living independently since her early teens.) I'm deeply in love with this woman and have been aware of her childhood since before we began our relationship. I am one of a very few she has ever shared her history with... I have tried very hard to not let 'her struggle' define how I see her - and have sought to be a caring and supportive friend above all else. We have been together for many months and I have seen her in her darkest times. My purpose for registering on this site is to seek to gain insight about her challenges (through other past members), as well as meet other 'co-dependents' who find themselves struggling to understand the impact of the pain left by being involved with/raised in this truly damaging organization.

The issues I have observed may be categorized in the following manner:
1) Isolation & destructive 'independence'
2) Addiction
3) Anger & hostility
4) Depression & anxiety
5) Absence of spirituality
6) ...Strength...

At this point, I am merely seeking to introduce myself to the community and seek to identify individuals who:
1) Are themselves ex-members who may relate to many/all of the 'symptoms' I have described and can shed some light on their journey and struggles
2) Are themselves involved with an ex-member who may relate to my situation.

I have done quite a lot of independent research - including (but not limited to) reading available resources, watching many documentaries, watching the Ricky Rodriguez suicide video and even watching the "Law & Order" episode... In her darkest moments, since I've known her, I even reached out to 'cult-recovery' institutions to assist in potentially finding her professional help - with no success - that is it's own disappointing story...

My preference is to make some direct connections here and establish some 'friendships' where I/we might share our experiences and offer direct support to one another - sometimes in Topic threads, other times in direct, private communication.

I'd like to conclude by simply sharing my sincere encouragement to all who may read this. I find myself awestruck by your 'survival' - in light of what I have learned you have endured. I offer my confidential support and friendship to anyone who may seek an interested, informed and sensitive 'friend.' I have no ulterior motives other than to become a better friend & partner to a fellow soul who I see struggle every day...

Irie,
COG-BF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:11 pm
@COG-BF,
You might want to check into this a2k group. http://groups.able2know.org/xfamily/

It's xfamily and all related.
COG-BF

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 05:24 pm
@roger,
Thank you Roger. I'm learning this site and discovered that I posted this in the wrong place. Was attempting to post it in 'xFamily'. Have now done so, and will be deleting this post. Be well.
0 Replies