Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 01:37 pm
@farmerman,
Geez, you don't look Jewish.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Oralloy, Time "dilation" would only affect those within the craft itself , the galaxy would be blissfully unaware of any perceived benefit.

The people who would otherwise be cooped up in the spacecraft for hundreds (maybe even thousands) of years are the only ones who really need to benefit from it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 12:20 am
@rosborne979,
Good thinking, Boss, i'm impressed.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 04:42 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Good thinking, Boss, i'm impressed.

Well, I'm glad somebody noticed it, I was beginning to think I was on ignore or something Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 04:48 am
@rosborne979,
I read it, but was unable to post at the time. I like that idea. I read a story when I was in my twenties, I guess, in which a space craft contained a city that had seen some generations in its journey. I doubt if in the beginning travelers could expect there would be a return trip for anybody on board.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 05:26 am
@edgarblythe,
I think I stole the idea from a Star Trek episode from The Original Series, "For the World is Hollow and I have touched the sky" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_the_World_Is_Hollow_and_I_Have_Touched_the_Sky), and extrapolated how I thought that situation might evolve.

I see generational asteroid "ships" like this happening more by chance than as some Grand Plan to inhabit the galaxy. Asteroid mining seems like a plausible economic endeavor for our future, and after asteroid miners go through longer and longer shift rotations the asteroids may evolve into orbiting communities. After a long enough period of time they may find themselves to be self sufficient, and grow tired of listening to Republicans and Democrats blame each other and decide to "fire up the Ion Drives" and go for a galactic Walkabout.

Conversely, such "ships" from other (possible) alien cultures may be out there already, slowly plowing their way through empty space, seeking neither contact or attention and going nowhere in particular.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 05:42 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I read a story when I was in my twenties, I guess, in which a space craft contained a city that had seen some generations in its journey. I doubt if in the beginning travelers could expect there would be a return trip for anybody on board.

True that it would be some period of time before a colony would be able to mount the sort of effort a return trip would entail.

However, given the effects of time dilation, there will probably not be much in the way of return trips ever, even when they have the resources for it.

What may seem a short span of time to the travelers, might see Earth age 800 years over the journey, with another 800 years passing if they were to make a return trip.

Anyone returning to Earth will not be coming back to the same planet that they left behind.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 05:27 pm
Related article from one of our more respected online media outlets:

Meeting Aliens Will Be Nothing Like Star Trek
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 05:46 pm
Only way to know is by experiencing, way I see it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 06:42 pm
@hingehead,
The great thing about this subject is that it is all speculative. Anyone who attempts to declare certitude, deserve the mantle of Supreme Assh*le.

There are far less than crazy notions that the window of life is sufficiently narrow within our universe that the differences will be not much more significant than what Star Trek suggests. Ripply noses, big craniums, and an occasional reptilian sentient.
0 Replies