Was there ever a time when mothers tried to...

Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 08:16 am
start their child's/children's day with an upbeat/happy mood, so the child/children would hopefully catch the good mood, and have a good/happy day? I sort of think that in the past, prior to the mid 20th century, mothers were too busy to be concerned about a child's mood. And, today it might just be similar, due to the possible norm of being over scheduled? Possibly more "happy mothers" might have existed right after WWII, when the men came home, and women tried to make a "happy home" for the man that had spent a number of years overseas?

I sort of think that many of today's women are on the cusp of "frazzled" from the moment they wake up, and children just have a candid view of a mother with all the moods one can describe.

I also wonder if my thinking might reflect the belief that many of today's women have very little desire to evoke a persona of "charm," as perhaps, they once did?

Just another facet of society going to hell in a handbasket, without even being concerned about the economy, etc., in my opinion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,354 • Replies: 11
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 09:05 am
@Foofie,
You don't know many women, do you.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 09:48 am
I don't buy this whole "society is going to hell in a handbasket" thing. People have been saying this for the past 5000 years, and yet here we are.

In the past decade, we have made great strides in marriage equality, we have elected the first non-White president twice, we have continued increasing our life expectancy and significantly increased the information available to students.

If that is Hell, then please send a handbasket for me.
Foofie

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 05:24 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't buy this whole "society is going to hell in a handbasket" thing. People have been saying this for the past 5000 years, and yet here we are.

In the past decade, we have made great strides in marriage equality, we have elected the first non-White president twice, we have continued increasing our life expectancy and significantly increased the information available to students.

If that is Hell, then please send a handbasket for me.

Well, for some things have gotten better. However, for some of the characters in the Pickwick Papers (Charles Dickens), for example, life today just doesn't afford many men the same degree of respect from others that they once had. It is all based on one's perspective, I believe.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 05:32 am
@Foofie,
you should get a maid...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 06:50 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Possibly more "happy mothers" might have existed right after WWII

you mean the Prozac generation?
0 Replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 07:07 am
@Foofie,
foofie wrote :

Quote:
Well, for some things have gotten better. However, for some of the characters in the Pickwick Papers (Charles Dickens), for example,

life today just doesn't afford many men the same degree of respect from others that they once had.

It is all based on one's perspective, I believe.

if that ain't the truth ! ... Shocked ... Shocked ... Laughing ...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 07:58 am
@Foofie,
As a man, I feel I get all of the respect I deserve (which isn't much, but I will take it).

I like living in the 21st century and I think we are going in a good direction.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:12 pm
Society's been going to hell in a handbasket since the time that we climbed down from the trees and stopped using our hands for locomotion, or some time soon thereafter.
Miller

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Did he even know his mother?
Miller

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 01:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

... stopped using our hands for locomotion...

The "Locomotion" was the dance that really did us in...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 06:30 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Did he even know his mother?

I think she would have liked you, being educated and a girl, and being independent.
0 Replies