Mark Sanford wins GOP nod for congressional seat.

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2013 09:04 pm
What a comeback. Can we please lose the term 'family values' now? There's nothing quite as hypocritical as a South Carolina republican.

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 10:24 am
@IRFRANK,
Why did this end up in hysterical libtard ? ( maybe that comes automatically with my username ? ) Is it hysterical to point out an obvious flaw? It seems hysterical to me that anyone would vote for Sanford.

If I appropriated the company plane and flew to Argentina to see my girlfriend and didn't tell anyone where I was going, I think I'd loose my job and probably not get hired back. Even if I did pay back the cost.

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 11:29 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
Mark Sanford wins GOP nod for congressional seat

Who?

I suspect that apathetic voters simply vote for name they recognize even if the don't remember why. There are probably many races that could be won by virtue of being named Charlie Brown.
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 11:50 am
@rosborne979,
I don't think so in this case. Sanford's history was all over the press so you'd have to live in a cave to not know the story here.

Sanford was pretty well liked in SC before his major laspe in judgment changed forever the meaning of hiking the Appilacian Trail. If you are into forgiveness, Sanford might be your guy. He's engaged to his mistress and proclaimed he was motivated by true love even when he was in office and all of this hit the fan. This isn't a Tiger Woods situation or even a Bill Clinton situation so for those who want to forgive rich conservative white guys for affairs of the heart, he is a poster child.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 12:59 pm
@IRFRANK,
And if you had an illicit affair with a young woman interning at your company, and went as far as to engage in sexual acts with her within your office I think you would lose your job too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 01:01 pm
@engineer,
It didn't hurt that his opponent couldn't even vote for himself since he didn't live in the district in which he was running.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 01:56 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
There are probably many races that could be won by virtue of being named Charlie Brown.

Do you think Frank Smith would work ?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 03:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I hadn't heard that nor did I know you could even run for office in a district where you aren't a resident.

Quote:
Bostic himself did not vote in the GOP runoff on Tuesday because he can't.

His residence near Ravenel, S.C., is in the 6th Congressional District, represented by U.S. Rep. Jim Clyburn, about 1,500 yards from the 1st District line. Bostic's law office, other property, church and children's schools are in the district. Under federal law, to run for the House, you only need to be a resident of the state in which the district is located, not the district itself.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 03:48 pm
I thought he was a terrible governor.

Notwithstanding that the state was in the pits relative to every standard of a good life, he worked hard to take funds from the public schools and colleges. Lancaster, SC, which Forbes deemed the most endangered city in the country, relied on its branch of the U. of SC to help out its endangered kids. Sanford tried to get it closed. At the same time, he sent his four kids to a private school.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 03:58 pm
@Advocate,
For the part of the GOP Sanford represents one only needs attitude and rhetoric. Jim Demint was worse in my opinion. Results are not noticed. This state has a history of such politicians, see Strom Thurmond. I don't see that changing any time soon.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 06:21 pm
Quote:
Mark Sanford wins GOP nod for congressional seat.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaah AH ah

Joe(idiots)Nation
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:44 pm
New major story today: Sanford was caught trespassing at his wife's home and she's filed a complaint. He's due to appear in court.
Quote:

The complaint filed by Jenny Sanford's lawyer, Deena Smith McRackan, said Mark Sanford has "entered into a pattern of entering onto plaintiff's property. Plaintiff has informed defendant on a number of occasions that this behavior is in violation of the court's order and has demanded that it not occur again."

In February 2011, McRackan sent a letter to Mark Sanford telling him not to trespass on Jenny Sanford's property. A copy of that letter was also sent to the local police, according to court filings.

The Republican's are pulling their support from his campaign.
Quote:
"Mark Sanford has proven he knows what it takes to win elections," said Andrea Bozek, a spokeswoman for the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC). "At this time, the NRCC will not be engaged in this special election."
Advocate

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:16 pm
@engineer,
I am surprised to learn that the GOP is pulling its support. I thought that the GOP loves sleazeballs.

Sanford will probably say that it was his patriotism that drove him to cheat on his wife and now trespass on her property.
IRFRANK

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:48 pm
@Advocate,
I didn't know patriotism was located in that region.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:53 pm
@Advocate,
You may be surprised that Anthony Weiner is seriously contemplating ruuning again and has launched an "exploratory" effort to see if people in NY still consider him a sleazeball.

The NY Times Sunday Magazine featured a lengthy article on him and his wife. Weiner granted the interviews no doubt to rehabilitate his image.

What was amazing about the article was that not once did Weiner say that he wanted to get back into politics because of a sense that he needs to be in the process of addressing important issues facing NY and the nation.

It was all about his need to be in the game.

Of course he never expressly admitted that all he really cares about is power and the spotlight, but it, nevertheless, came through loud and clear.

Refreshingly honest if it was intentional, but of course it wasn't.

Who knows exactly how it breaks down, but it sure seems that, at least, 98% of the people who run for political office do so for power and the spotlight.

Sorry to break it to you Advocate but the GOP, clearly, doesn't have a monopoly on sleazeballs.

Would you vote for a sleazeball like Weiner?

Sanford is a weird Romantic whose judgment probably doesn't qualify him for public office in the way we would like but rarely if ever get, but Weiner is a true sleazeball.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 03:58 pm
@IRFRANK,
That has to be one of the most idiotic posts this forum has ever seen.

By rights it should launch an avalanche of condemnations about offensive, generalized bigotry, but, of course, it will not.

For some time now I've refrained from commenting on the photo you've chosen as your avatar, but I can no longer do so, as this comment of yours has marked you as the grinning cretin you appear to be.
engineer

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Sanford is a weird Romantic whose judgment probably doesn't qualify him for public office in the way we would like but rarely if ever get, but Weiner is a true sleazeball.

I partially agree with this. Not that Sanford is a selfless guy - I think he is in it for the power like everyone else - but that he is a weird Romantic not in the same class as the run of the mill sleazes like Weiner. According to Sanford (and his actions support this), he met his one and only true love and while he cared greatly for his ex-wife, he had to follow his heart. Of course that makes him adulterous scum but not the kind of scum that is looking for a quickie cheat, soliciting in airport bathrooms or getting oval office blow jobs. I was betting on him being re-elected but stalking his ex is a different story. Of course he claims he was just visiting his son while his wife was out, but he could have invited his son out instead so that doesn't really fly and apparently this is not the first time Sanford has roamed out to his ex's house. Repeatedly trespassing and ignoring warnings to the point that your ex files against you is showing enough lack of judgement to scratch you off of my list for public office.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:14 pm
@engineer,
I'm not an apologist for Sanford.

He's one of the 98%.

He is not, however, a Weiner.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:44 pm
Sanford walked out on his wife, who raised his four kids and worked as his campaign manager. He also walked out on four dependent children.

He was a terrible governor, favoring the rich in all his decisions. He worked hard to take money from public schools and colleges. This is particularly disgusting considering his wife is in the one percent and his kids go to an exclusive private school. Etc.

Weiner sent some nude photos of himself to willing recipients. Big deal. He was a fine legislator who cared about the ordinary person.

I would take Weiner over Sanford any day.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 09:18 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

I would take Weiner over Sanford any day.

And you can have Weiner.
0 Replies