How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

CVeigh

Mon 15 Aug, 2016 09:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
But the question is self-contradicting? What makes something a religion, well many things but God would be way up there. If there is a God then all religions are not wrong. I am a damn whiz at logic but not a genius yet this jumps the hell out at me.
Leadfoot

Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:44 am
@CVeigh,
If you want to look at it that way, then none of them are wrong. They all believe there is a God. But is that really enough to make them right? Satan believes in God.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:14 am
It boggles the mind to suppose anything that exists its not right. I firmly believe in the Necessity of each and every thing that exists. A complex ecosystem may be hard to understand...Judgements of right and wrong often are political relative judgements on what parts of the real world we want to accept or exclude due to lack of complete understanding.
reasoning logic

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 06:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
It boggles the mind to suppose anything that exists its not right. I firmly believe in the Necessity of each and every thing that exists.

I do agree with you to a point, meaning that I think I understand some what of what you are saying.

I think that all things that exist have to exist in our subjective reality just as the concept of morality has to exist.

Maybe I am wrong but maybe it is the concept of morality that we seem to care little for that brings into existence these things that boggle your mind to suppose anything that exists its not right.

Advanced as we are in science and many branches of philosophy we still could not care any less than we do to add a PhD college course in moral philosophy.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:03 pm
@AugustineBrother,
If you're going to ask that question, can't you at least define what is meant by that? A being who created the universe? Our galaxy? Our solar system? Our Planet? Just Cheese Whiz?

I can dig you believe in a 'higher' being. A dude, dudette, or thing that is a creator like us, but 'better'. That leaves a lot of room though. Does better mean enough to create just us? The planet and us, the solar system and us etc..?

I can even dig that this being might be able to interface with us. You'll have to make that argument that shows that it can.

But what I cannot abide is that this being took a judeo-christian form. That reeks too much of man-made stuff and not even very interesting stuff until maybe the Christians stole Plato's ideas. Then it gets a bit interesting, but Plato, props to the guy for his prolific writings and attempts at cosmology, made a ton of semantic errors and did not define his terms well and the Christians followed suit.

As an interesting aside on the origins of religion, I believe that it is an inevitable 'side-effect' (if you will) of language, not in our genes. The ability to create concepts. Like throwing your voice, we can 'throw' personalities. Project whatever we want onto whatever we want. Kids at a certain age excel at this. Freud called us polymorphously perverse as we can project our love onto anything. We talk to ourselves, we can talk to others that don't exist. In this view, its a by-product ultimately of our ability to reflect (our peculiar consciousness). Don't know if its true, but it seems viable to me..

Sagan thought that our ancestors looked at the sky and thought the stars were campfires with other beings around them. Then if they were in a fight with another tribe, they would aver that these other beings were on there side and they were, they were...yeah! Much more powerful than all of us and loved our tribe and would mess you up if you screw with us..My God is bigger than your God, culminating in the Hebrew God who was the biggest of them all (biggest..what? I'll be respectful)
0 Replies

momoends

Sat 27 Aug, 2016 09:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
we canĀ“t
0 Replies

clueless7321

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:57 pm
@reasoning logic,
No religion is perfect, I think if your religion makes you feel closer to our maker, then no one should debate that. Do what feels right for you. It is different for every one. I don't care what faith you are, no two people will ever think or believe EXACTLY alike...
catbeasy

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 06:35 pm
@clueless7321,
I agree..no two Christians believe in the same God..
Smileyrius

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 05:23 am
@clueless7321,
I agree with your first sentiment there, no religion is perfect. Do you however believe in a God that has standards? If so, would it not make sense that every religion can be measured against them?
If God, biblical or otherwise does not exist, then all religions have the same fate regardless of how close they make you feel to him/her/it,
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 08:07 am
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

I agree..no two Christians believe in the same God..

I prefer the sentiment that few Christians appear to know the God they believe in.
catbeasy

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 02:10 pm
@Smileyrius,
Good observation. I don't doubt that at all..!
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 02:40 pm
@catbeasy,
Still, 'A few good men' is all God is looking for.
reasoning logic

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 06:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
Does it matter if they are agnostics or atheists?
catbeasy

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 06:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
Is this the biblical God? Because the last time that fella looked for a few good men, global catastrophe! At least now we have scuba..
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:13 am
@Leadfoot,
The free will talk is a good way to dodge "bad design" ain it ?
reasoning logic

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 06:27 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/im-an-atheist-and-this-is_b_11832788.html
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 5 Sep, 2016 07:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Does it matter if they are agnostics or atheists?

Did I say it mattered?
reasoning logic

Fri 9 Sep, 2016 07:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
Does the church care enough about these people to actually change social policy?
Less glamorous churches and more money spent on understanding sociology?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-police-share-chilling-photos-185250993.html

Leadfoot

Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:55 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Does the church care enough about these people to actually change social policy?
Less glamorous churches and more money spent on understanding sociology?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-police-share-chilling-photos-185250993.html

You seem to be blaming 'churches' for all our social ills.

Do I really have to point out that the church/religion in not in control of social policy?

Palatial churches make me sick too but are you suggesting the church should engage in formal sociology research?

And by including that link I suppose you are adding drug addiction to the evils of religions - WTF

There is something very wrong with society and that is something that needs attention. But blaming religion (or drugs) for it is the most ignorant, misguided approach I can think of.
catbeasy

Mon 12 Sep, 2016 04:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
I agree that religions are not the cause of drug problems, stuff goes much deeper than that..

However, I do think that some religious beliefs in terms of ways of dealing with drugs can be counter productive. Of course, I believe our quasi-secular gov't deals with drugs incorrectly as well, so it isn't just religion. So, I think blaming religion for this is barking up the wrong tree.

I think reasoning logic's mindset might have been that many religious ways of dealing with social ills involve a (sole) approach of moral exhortation which often carries with it a condescension and condemnation. I think RL is saying that the observed results of social studies tell us that 'just say no' doesn't really work. At least not by itself and not to any significant degree.

There has to be a host of other interventions not the least of which is providing a safe and non (negative) judgmental environment for the correcting of drug problems. Even then its not guaranteed to work..

I should mention that there are many religious groups that do provide very good counseling for social and psychological problems. But to underscore RL's point, my guess would be that, while not being strictly necessary, most of the people in this category are trained to some degree in sociology.