Does the UNIVERSE have a boundary or OUTER LIMIT?

Steve 41oo

Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:51 am
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:

Do you think that our Universe has a boundary?

What would you expect to see if you were to reach this boundary?
the Universe is limited but in dimensions we dont recognise. Like two dimensional beings on the surface of an expanding balloon can understand their "universe" is getting bigger but dont see it as limited in three dimensions as we can. I suspect the view of the universe at its "boundary" will look like everywhere else, and looking back, Earth will appear right at the edge.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Thu 16 Oct, 2008 09:16 am
Can the subjective disallow the objective?

If a beam of light is passed through a prism the beam is separated into a spectrum of colors .... each with it's own boundaries, inclusive of the subjectively invisible .... such as infrared, which I assume would include it's own subjective spectrum complete with it's own objective boundaries.
So yes, this universe has boundaries, an infinite number of.
Steve 41oo

Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:07 am
@Gelisgesti,
Gelisgesti wrote:

If a beam of light is passed through a prism the beam is separated into a spectrum of colors .... each with it's own boundaries
the boundaries are only limits of the human eye to perceive colour. There is a continuous spectrum of radiation from high to low frequency. We cant discern it thats all. There is no boundary for electromagnetic radiation at the "red"/"green" transition.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:54 am
Frankly speaking nobody knows. We have no conclusive data, but we do have a scientific rationale for a 'big bang' followed by our expanding universe consisting of suns, planets, moons, asteroids, comets and other heavenly bodies. It is reasonable to think that we could finally reach an all that there is of that. In other words, it is reasonable that the total content of our universe is a measurable sum.

But is our universe the only universe or is it one of billions or gazillions or whatever?

And if bigger into infinity is imaginable, then how about contracting the scale so that each particle of the universe that we know is in itself a universe on a micro scale we cannot comprehend and each particle in that another smaller micro universe? To them, we would be of a scale of a magnitude that they cannot comprehend.

Since I believe in an after life, I am compiling a list of questions that I want to take with me. Such things as the origin and size of the universe is on it.
Steve 41oo

Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:33 am
@Foxfyre,
I'd just like to know where the tv remote went
SANJUGENIUS10

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 11:36 am
I THINK IN THIS UNIVERSE EVERYTHING HAS ITS OWN LIMIT....
EVEN UNIVERSE ALSO HAS ITS LIMIT , WHAT WE NEED IS HIGH TECHNOLOGY THAT MAKE US ENABLE TO REACH THAT LIMIT...
THE TECHNOLOGY WHICH WE USE SHOULD NOT BE SUPER FAST ,BUT,
IT SHOULD BE VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY SUPER FAST.......

AND I THINK BEYOND THAT LIMIT THERE WILL BE A ANOTHER UNIVERSE (MANY TIMES BIG THEN OUR UNIVERSE) WHICH CONTAINS MANY SUCH UNIVERSE (OUR UNIVERSE).AND IN THAT UNIVERSE OUR UNIVERSE IS LIKE A PLANET.
0 Replies

thilanka

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:04 am
@dyslexia,
thilanka

As a Buddhist I believe the Buddhas sayings about actual world and standardized world. According to lord Buddha, we - humans have some limits on the understanding some problems of actual world, i.e. limit of universe, begging of first universe, started moment of Sansara, etc. some had asked these questions from Lord Buddha, and he explained such as questions which must 'rejected' or 'thapaniya (in pali)'. Ok, simply fist your hand and guess that is the limit fof universe. Then you must ask from yourself, then what is this outer space of the fist, which is larger than the fist. Lord Buddha said, 'don't try to find the end or limit of the universe and some other such things'. But it will be better to your to find and research about yourself, about you 'mind'. In it you will find and beginning of the mind, persistence of mind, what it feed on and how can we stop the mind, i.e. Nibbana. That is what I can say about the limit of universe. FIND ABOUT YOURSELF. Many philosophy's in world religions teach this.
0 Replies

BillW

Mon 29 Nov, 2010 10:54 am
@Steve 41oo,
Quote:
I'd just like to know where the tv remote went

parallel dimension
0 Replies

seeker5544

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 04:18 pm
I'm happy for all the thought on this topic , most can't be bothered . If you start with the premise that this is an unknown , instead of trying to explain it away with soothing ideas of " big bang theories " and math models like space curvature and space expansion , then you'd be on the right track . The huge problem we have is that we think with 3 dimensional brains using our 3 dimensional senses. This " outer limit " would be easy to see , but in a higher dimension than 3 . In such a world : the laws of physics would be as different as our physical laws are amazing....heck , we don't even know what exactly gravity is ! Things like gravity and the infinity of outer space would be quite understandable if we lived in a higher dimension.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 25 Jan, 2011 04:28 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:

Do you think that our Universe has a boundary?

What would you expect to see if you were to reach this boundary?
If the Universe has a boundary,
it must be pretty BIG, to stretch around the Universe.

David
junuine12

Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:07 pm
@husker,
k;nk
0 Replies

junuine12

Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:09 pm
@dyslexia,
so there is no end line or if it is a circle like if you just go on one direction on a circle you will hit the wall right this questions also makes me wonder and think
0 Replies

junuine12

Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:12 pm
@littlek,
if the first bit is out their what is ahead of it is it space if so that space should have end but it has no end sorry for the bad grammar im not got at this language
0 Replies

junuine12

Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:14 pm
@husker,
what do you call it before the big bang what state is it nothingness haha even nothingness is something
0 Replies

junuine12

Sun 17 Apr, 2011 05:17 pm
@fishin,
so whats out their at the end... what lies behind the finite universe
their should be something in their
0 Replies

junuine12

Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:47 am
@Phoenix32890,
so you think there is an end whats behind that end there should be something not just going back to the start
0 Replies

junuine12

Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:52 am
that condense material should have a beginning and where did it explodes and expand. do space exist before it all begone if so when did space begun or maybe what creates space and what creates that who creates it sorry for teh bad English
junuine12

Mon 18 Apr, 2011 10:55 am
@fishin,
its hard to believe for me that nothing exist in their even space or empty space even if its empty it is still something its endless
0 Replies

Stooshie

Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:53 am
"... Black Holes are MATHEMATICAL and THEORETICAL possibilities, but no one has ever detected one in Space ..."

Yes they have. Their is one at the centre of our galaxy.
0 Replies

Stooshie

Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:57 am
@seeker5544,
"... instead of trying to explain it away with soothing ideas of " big bang theories " and math models like space curvature and space expansion ..."

These are not necessarily soothing ideas. They are based on observation, not on how good they feel. If you really seek the truth, you can only do it through observation. Anything else is just plain giving up.
0 Replies