Cheating wife or lucky husband?

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 01:49 pm
My wife is 44 years old. Our son is in college so we are empty nesters. She was a modest, even boring, dresser for most of her life, either at home, at work or going out. I suggested a few times she could go just a little racier, particularly when going out, but she used to brush me off. Then a couple years ago or so she started trying on new things -not because of me asking, since I had given up a long time ago, she just got started on her own. Make up for work (she used to even attend parties fresh-faced), slightly shorter skirts, jewelry, heels (which she always hated since she is really tall). For a while I was just pleased with the change, I complimented her looks, and she seemed delighted.

And then at some point it began going a little too far, ort at least I felt that way. Makeup became heavy, jewelry became flashy, skirts became mini, heels became really high. I commented on her choice of outfits -calmly, not making a scene or sounding judgmental- and she happily answered that she just feels great, thinks she was too shy for too long and now she wants to enjoy her body while she can (she is in great shape for her age). I have no real reason to assume she is having an affair, she is back home at the usual times, no unexpected urges to go out somewhere on weekends, and her behavior towards me has not changed, she is sweet but neither too much attentive nor snappy or angry. I know her cell phone's password and she makes no effort to hide it, and there have been no surprises with our shared bank accounts. Last time we had friends for dinner I could not help noticing my friend -an old buddy of mine- staring at her, and being embarrassed knowing that I saw him. His own wife -a sweet happy soul who often seems clueless- chirped how great my wife looked, even made her parade a little for us guys, which was downright torture for me. After they were gone I cautiously discussed the night with her, she laughed, called me a silly jealous guy, and pointed out that my friend is not quite the prize (which is true). She says she just dressed like she always does -which is also true these days- and then admitted she notices and likes the attention. But she swore there's nothing else going on.

I have to mention I'm older than her (54) and I pretty much settled down for a bit of a beer belly and t-shirt look, so I admit I feel insecure about the rather obvious contrast with her. She has never said a thing about how I dress or how I look, and for a long time she dressed the same way although she has always been slim.

So where do I stand now? Should I be happy knowing I have an attractive wife who loves to dress up and perhaps be a bit of a flirt, or am I a naive old guy who is losing his wife to somebody else (I can't even begin to imagine who) and is doing nothing to prevent it? Has anybody here (husband or wife)gone through a similar experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,242 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 02:16 pm
@SloppyJoe6412,
If it were me, I'd go to the gym and/or get more regular exercise. Focus your energy a bit on your fitness but don't overdo it. I'd not look at this as a midlife crisis but as a mid-life correction.

Your mutual ages of 54 and 44 is/are not that far apart.

I'd not worry or be paranoid about your wife. This seems to be your self-image issue. Don't be too sloppy, Joe. Be aware that you may be sensing a shifting of power (she's getting compliments). Your ego might be a bit more fragile than you thought that it was.

As a sidebar, I was in a similar situation and I'm 62. I got sporadic exercise and a beer gut or a round belly sprung up over the last 6-8 yrs. Coincidentally, when I saw my doctor, he checked my testosterone level and found it on the low side. After getting a scrip for testosterone cream, it made matters a bit different. Now my beer gut is evaporating over time as I do more regular exercise..etc. This condition and its side-effects is reversible.
SloppyJoe6412

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 03:07 pm
@Ragman,
@Ragman,

Since you mention about a midlife crisis, a little late for me I guess (I don't expect to live to be 108...) Funny, when I was in my 40s I made sure I would not do anything which would look dumb or out of age, as in no new car, no nightclubbing, etc. Only now it's dawning on me that my wife has her own midlife -10 years after mine- she definitely is acting younger and will likely be pleased if I acted a little younger too.

No question hitting the gym is great advice. I'm not sure if I'm being really paranoid or if she really is drifting away, but there's no doubt improving my looks cannot hurt my chances.

Glad to hear the testosterone is working -my libido is still pretty strong, although I do use the blue pill.
Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2013 03:34 pm
@SloppyJoe6412,
Be aware that using the testosterone cream is not just about sexual performance and libido issues. It is very helpful with helping to build muscle, which also can translate to trimming excessive weight around the middle. It also can help with lessening aches and pains, decreasing insomnia and even with mood control.

There is a strong correlation with heart health and diminished testosterone levels, too.

Incidentally, in case you aren't aware of this .... for over year over 50 a man is predicted to lose production of testosterone to the tune of 1 to 1.5% per year.

http://www.peaktestosterone.com/Testosterone_Levels_Male.aspx
0 Replies

claudene

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 07:50 am
@SloppyJoe6412,
She is definitely giving her self a new look for a reason. It might be because she want to draw attention from you? or someone else. Why don't you freshen up your looks as well. She definitely wants attention, so give it to her. Why don't you take her out more for nice dinners and even a holiday and remind her why she fell in love with you. Give her a blast of a good time together, as it sound like you have the time?
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 04:47 pm
@SloppyJoe6412,
44...About the time I left my Husband for good reasons...

My ex also, did not take the time or effort and walked around in tank tops and shorts for the most part... Grew his hair, all sorts...

I think once I reached 40, I still felt young but certainly stepped it up a bit, I mean we are getting older and we want to still feel attractive.

I also recall a few stares, when I went brunette...smiles. This just made me want to dress up even more.... It's called attention and feeling young and beautiful it's our make up.

For your part though, you should start to consider that a woman also likes to see a man ... not a "slob" everyday and please excuse me for using that word however, you pictured it in my mind Wink So, why not try? And, start dating once a week the pair of you, you will both feel like a new couple in love more....
whatever277

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 11:58 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Every woman I have ever known leaves there husband at 44 or cheats on their husband around that age. It is really an uncanny phenomenon
Mazzz27

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:56 am
I say lucky wife. That way she can whine and dine with me. does she like young fit men?
0 Replies

Mazzz27

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 08:44 am
@whatever277,
yea thats what Ive seen from my experience. watch out because those hott and steamy summer nights are upon us and shes not gunna want a fatty bangin her.
0 Replies