DVD+RW / Incompatible Disk

CDobyns

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 05:35 pm
I've got Panasonic dual videotape/DVD player/recorder, which I've owned for about 7 years, and which has worked very well that entire time. The unit has the ability to record videotape or DVD, either from cable or via dubbing from videotape to DVD and DVD to videotape. I've used the unit to record directly to DVD, using both DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RW disks.

I recently purchased a brand new, 3-disk set of rewritable Maxell DVD+RW disks, and when I tried to initially format one of the disks, I got a message that I was using an incompatible disk - and the standard Disk Setup option was not visible on the Disk Management menu. These disks appear to be identical in type and capacity (2/4/8 hour, 4.7GB) to the Maxell DVD-RW disks that I've used previously, which are recognized and seem to work fine in the recorder. The user manual indicates that DVD+RW type disks are compatible with the recorder. Any ideas or suggestions on what I might want to do/try (besides buy a set of DVD-RW disks)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,437 • Replies: 1
No top replies

CDobyns

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 11:41 am
@CDobyns,
As is one of my favorite exercises (which alternately gives me either the most or the least amount of pleasure . . .), I get the opportunity to answer this question I posted myself.

I went back and re-reviewed the documentation in my owner's manual, while the unit does indicate that it can play a variety of type of DVD (and CDs), in a separate insert I located, in an obscure bottom corner of the back of the insert, there is a notation that this unit can only record to DVD-RW disks, and that it is incompatible with DVD+RW disks. Arrgh!

Well, I guess I can't complain too much, since this lack of capability is stipulated, although I'd say that how it is documented definitely falls into the "read the fine print" category.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » DVD+RW / Incompatible Disk
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 12:28:13