Should the US have a new constitution?

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:11 pm
Please give any ideas pro or con that you may have, however any remarks that are offensive or are overly rude towards anyone will be dealt with

roger

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:19 pm
@Cuterthanpaul,
Dealt with in what way?
Cuterthanpaul

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:41 pm
@roger,
reported
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:48 pm
@Cuterthanpaul,
You could take out the bit about free speech, then anyone who upset you could be 'dealt with' severely.
Cuterthanpaul

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:50 pm
@cherrie,
funny but I keep getting threats on my threads, hence the warning
roger

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:55 pm
@Cuterthanpaul,
That should keep you busy for awhile. The reporting, I mean.

Back to the question. I would probably amend the 14th to eliminate the guarantee of citizenship for anyone born in the country. I would also tighten up the interstate commerce clause so it couldn't be used to justify any and all bright ideas from the federal government.

In a sense, we have a new constitution. We don't throw it out; we amend it as we think needed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:57 pm
@cherrie,
Taking that seriously, that comes down to a 'baby with the bathwater' situation. Your point is taken, however. That's probably why it was written in a way that amending is a slow and difficult process.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 12:07 am
Thomas Jefferson, realizing that times and needs change, thought that every twenty five or thirty years we should throw out the old constitution and write a new one. We're about a hundred and ninety years overdue.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 12:22 am
@Cuterthanpaul,
Do you have a proposal for this hypothetical "new constitution"?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 12:49 am
@MontereyJack,
It ain't written in stone, and the guys that wrote it had a better idea.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 02:25 am
Article V of the constitution reads, in part:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress . . .

Good luck with that.
Cuterthanpaul

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 04:31 am
@Setanta,
I am asking for the hypothetical, not in practice. Most Americans would be dead against a new Constitutional Convention
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 04:43 am
You asked for any ideas, pro or con. My idea is, good luck with that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:38 am
@Cuterthanpaul,
Cuterthanpaul wrote:

I am asking for the hypothetical, not in practice. Most Americans would be dead against a new Constitutional Convention

I beg to differ. Most Americans would be indifferent/apathetic to a new Constitutional Convention. Many might say they're against the concept but they really wouldn't give a damn as long as it doesn't interfere with them watching Real Housewives of _______ (fill in the blank), Hoarders, etc....
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:56 am
@tsarstepan,
Some people would want to repeal the second amendment. Other people would want to repeal the fourth amendment. You wouldn't get consensus. More than anything else, though, you're right that the whole thing would be a petty annoyance to them. They've not read the constitution, and they see no reason to start now.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:27 am
I do not see a problem with the one we have. Why do you think we need a "new one"?
RABEL222

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 11:42 am
Why a new one. We can continue to tweak the old one.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 12:01 pm
@woiyo,
woiyo wrote:

I do not see a problem with the one we have. Why do you think we need a "new one"?

Everything needs a Hollywood reboot... and made into IMAX 3D to boot!
Michael Bay should write and direct the new franchise.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 09:38 pm
I'm happy with the one we have.
0 Replies

wjt47

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 10:22 pm
@Cuterthanpaul,
Better question should the U.S. get a new president before new constitution. Because we all no Obama would change the constitution toward communism is that what are country really wants! I say impeach him before we can even worry about the constitution.