How and why stuck in Canada

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 01:05 pm
In another thread one of my links is unusable because

Quote:
dahileman, you keep posting copied-and-pasted links to Google Canada
Con sorry, I had no idea my Google was different from others'

Quote:
that don't work, at least not here in Britain.
Again my most abject apologies, I have not the faintest idea…….

Quote:
I suspect they may not work for very many people.
If that's the case I'd be interested hearing from others on this topic who have experienced the same difficulty; hence this OP

If I am indeed, say, the victim of a hacker who has limited my digital participation to Canadian wherewithal, how to I set things back to normal

….but why would he do it

…though can't help observing how easy hereabout to make enemies; it's as if a2k attracts so many folk seemingly lacking a sense of humor, apparently angry at all times about almost everything, will attack almost anyone else for no apparent reason

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:38 pm
@dalehileman,
http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2898331&rd=1

Location settings
You often want to find search results that are relevant to the area you’re in. For example, if you're traveling and need to find a quick bite, you probably want to find a restaurant near you.

Specify your preferred location

If you're seeing the incorrect location when you search, you can change your location on your computer or tablet.

Click the gear icon then Search Settings on any search results page. [Alternately, you can update your settings by visiting google.com/preferences.]

Click Location on the left side of the page.

Enter a street address, zip code, city and state, or country in the box that appears.

Click Save to update your location setting for this computer or tablet.

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 03:47 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
…though can't help observing how easy hereabout to make enemies; it's as if a2k attracts so many folk seemingly lacking a sense of humor, apparently angry at all times about almost everything, will attack almost anyone else for no apparent reason

And yet we still have the patience to continue helping you with all these new question threads you keep coming back to post.

By the way, out of curiosity, you say that you've been banned from many other forums. Is it possible that rather than being banned from A2K, for the first time you are having to face negative feedback on your posting style? Maybe it isn't anger, just something to learn from so you don't continue to be banned from other forums in the future.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 04:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you But going to all that trouble and I will keep it in mind if I ever decide I need to search locally. Meanwhile do you suppose I might have by inadvertently striking the wrong key entered something there I shouldn't have, accounting for the peculiar Canada attachment discussed above

And if you judge there's any hope for me to follow your instructions, if I had done so how would I correct the problem

Thanks again
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 04:43 pm
@dalehileman,
Follow the step-by-step directions I pasted above. That will fix the problem for you so that any inadvertent keystrokes won't be able to change the default location again.

When you define your location, it changes the default Google site back to the generic USA version of Google.com.

It isn't just for searching locally, it also defines which version of Google you want to use.

As to how it got switched to the Canadian version, you probably clicked on a Canadia Google link and it got saved in a cookie as your default Google version.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 04:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
And yet we still have the patience to continue helping you…….
Yes I know, it's most remarkable

Quote:
By the way, out of curiosity, you say that you've been banned from many other forums.
Alas, alack

Quote:
Is it possible that rather than being banned from A2K, for the first time you are having to face negative feedback on your posting style?
Forgive an old fella But but that q doesn't hold together well [for the Average Clod (me) anyhow]. Are you asking whether facing negative feedback is somehow an alternative to being banned

..and I'm a bit confused by "…for the first time…..". Are you asking whether postings I might have elicited today might constitute my first experience of negative feedback

Quote:
Maybe it isn't anger,
Acrimony then

http://thesaurus.com/browse/anger?s=t

Quote:
just something to learn from so you don't continue to be banned from other forums in the future.
Alas alack But it depends almost entirely on its Admin. At one I was banned for misspelling a couple of words whereas at a2k, I'm most incredibly confounded by its tolerance; anywhere else would have been tossed out eons ago

Thank you however But for the sage advice
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 04:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
I tried to explain that to Dale.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Specify your preferred location
Okay how or where do I enter it

Quote:
If you're seeing the incorrect location when you search,
How would I know it was incorrect if I was unable to specify it in the first place

Quote:
you can change your location on your computer or tablet.
Forgive me profusely But, but how can I change it if you haven't yet told me where to find it

Quote:
Click the gear icon then Search Settings on any search results page.
By "search results page" I presume you mean in a Google search. So I accessed such a page but But, found no gear, no "Search Settings"

Quote:
[Alternately, you can update your settings by visiting google.com/preferences.]
Yes, no, I went there too, but wasn't sure how to proceed

Quote:
Click Location …...
Enter a street address……. in the box that appears.
I finally was successful finding the "Search Settings" page and by clicking on "Location" as you advised I got the box for these entries. However it was empty so how would I know whether if at some time in the past I had inadvertently posted one incorrectly, and then how would I delete it

Clearly But you're so far ahead of me in every possible way that I suggest herewith you give up on me, there's not much hope. I won't be offended if you don't reply

However when addressing a newcomer, beginner, or old fella like not up on the latest digital jargon like me you have to be much more explicit (You have to write each instruction as if I were your English teacher). Again my sincerest apologies and thank you profusely for trying so valiantly against such overwhelming odds
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
…..define your location, it changes…. back to the generic USA version……... isn't just for searching locally, it also defines which version. ….you probably clicked on a Canadia Google link…….
It's becoming clear, then, But, that regardless what it now contains I should re-enter my present location. However, from what someone said above, apparently if I enter my present location Google won't respond in its usual global way but will only return "restaurants," etc, in my immediate vicinity--unless I learn, perhaps, how to switch back and forth between one "version" of Google and another….

But again But, please don't feel obliged to respond. My only credentials being a BS in journ and erstwhile writer and inventor, I'm apparently too old to make all the necessary assumptions required to follow instructions of those in the know
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Have you considered taking some of the computer classes offered for free at your local community senior centers?

You might get a lot of benefit from it and you would have someone face to face to walk you through the steps, point at the screen and instruct you.

I just looked up the classes offered by the Apple Valley parks and rec department. They have some computer classes and also some engineering classes. That might satisfy your quest to find an outlet for your consumer appliance design complaints and your thirst for science based discussion.

Here's a link to their activities catalog:

http://www.applevalley.org/index.aspx?page=848
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:56 pm
@dalehileman,
You are over-thinking it, Dale.

Just do it and try it out to see what results you get. If you don't like it, you can always remove the location info by deleting it from the form and saving it as blank.

Changing the location will overwrite the cookie information that Google saved on your computer and it should return to the USA version even if you subsequently remove the location info.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 05:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Have you considered taking some of the computer classes…….
Alas no, but But, until just recently I didn't quite feel the need

Quote:
That might satisfy your quest to find an outlet for your consumer appliance design complaints and your thirst for science based discussion.
Well thank you But for remembering those desires

Here's a link to their activities catalog:

http://www.applevalley.org/index.aspx?page=848

Thank you again most kindly But for that link

But if you ever should wish to discuss The Brew I am Recording Secretary of The Greater Southwest Beer-Tasting Society, [email protected]
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 06:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
However when addressing a newcomer, beginner, or old fella like not up on the latest digital jargon like me you have to be much more explicit (You have to write each instruction as if I were your English teacher). Again my sincerest apologies and thank you profusely for trying so valiantly against such overwhelming odds

I have a similar complaint with your posts, Dale. You shorten my user name to "But" and I often have a difficult time determining if you are using the word as a name or as a conjunction or preposition. It would eliminate confusion if you were to add a few more letters to my abbreviated name, such as butr or bfn.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
"But" and I often have a difficult time determining if you are using the word as a name or as a conjunction or preposition.
Sorry But, but it was a sort of levity, or pun
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 07:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Changing the location will overwrite the cookie information that Google saved on your computer
Thanks Net but it won't accept my address

Yet thanks again for your patience
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2013 09:06 pm
@dalehileman,
Invite one of your sons over for lunch and have them help you with it.
0 Replies