Any refugees from Yahoo wash up on A2K's shores yet?

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 10:17 pm

Yahoo just killed all their messageboards, unceremoniously, and with very little warning or notice.

I pointed a couple refugees in A2K's direction, but I don't know if anyone will show up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 15

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 10:21 pm
@oralloy,
that explains a couple of posts earlier today ... people seemed to think they were the only ones they couldn't post at yahoo and thought they were being discriminated against
Lola

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:34 pm
poor things.........all ready to post and nowhere to go.
oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:37 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
people seemed to think they were the only ones they couldn't post at yahoo and thought they were being discriminated against

No, on the morning of March 2, we were given notice that all Yahoo boards would close on April 1.

On the evening of March 3, all posting links vanished.

Very few communities had the foresight to arrange alternate homes instantly when the news broke on March 2, and were simply cut off for good when posting stopped.
oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:51 pm
@Lola,
Lola wrote:
poor things.........all ready to post and nowhere to go.

Yes. I was all set to rip into a thread about F-35 fighters, and there was no post button.

Mad
jespah

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:13 am
@oralloy,
Not seeing a significant uptick yet, but the day is young. Thanks for laying out the trail of breadcrumbs, and I'm sorry your board was clobbered.
engineer

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:42 am
@jespah,
I'm amazed. I thought Yahoo was one of the premier sites for posting and was one of few bright spots in terms of traffic generation for the company. Is Yahoo Answers still open? (From a quick check it appears it is.)
nydia2013

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 10:43 am
@oralloy,
I know a couple of us have checked out these boards. Thanks for the two links you left, Uzi. It will take some time to accustom myself to this new environment. But at least there are many interesting topics. I'm going to google the internet with a fine tooth comb until I find the right board. Meanwhile, I do need a rest from these message boards and I believe Yahoo has done me favor. I won't be away too long as I have a need to express myself, to release political suppressed energy.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 11:17 am
@engineer,
It is part of the new management's austerity program, along with no work-at-home hours, to try and keep Yahoo! from bankruptcy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 12:05 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
people seemed to think they were the only ones they couldn't post at yahoo and thought they were being discriminated against

No, on the morning of March 2, we were given notice that all Yahoo boards would close on April 1.

apparently True North didn't understand

http://able2know.org/topic/209768-1#post-5270363
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:44 pm
@nydia2013,
nydia2013 wrote:
Thanks for the two links you left, Uzi.

One bit of confusion to preemptively clear up for everyone on A2K, since I defend Israel so vigorously that people tend to think I am not only Israeli, but I must also be a settler:

I created my Yahoo ID just after the Columbine shooting, and people were yammering on and on about gun control just like they are now.

I picked the ID "Uzi_45ACP" to be as in-your-face as possible to the gun control people.

I never realized how much confusion it would cause when I defend Israel. At the time I don't think it even occurred to me that I'd one day be defending Israel.

At any rate, a lot of people have been calling me "Uzi" online for a lot of years. I almost think I'd answer to the name if someone called me that in real life.

So I'm probably going to be called that more than a few times here now.
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:54 pm
@nydia2013,
nydia2013 wrote:

BTW, I think I really tore into you on the Amanda Knox thread. Sorry. Didn't know you were an old friend at the time.

(Not entirely sure which old friend you are. I have one guess, but am not sure if I'm right.)

But you must have known that dangling such a post in front of me was akin to jumping into a cage with a hungry tiger?

Or were you trying to make sure it was really me?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 04:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

apparently True North didn't understand

http://able2know.org/topic/209768-1#post-5270363

He's Canadian. What did you expect?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 04:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

So I'm probably going to be called that more than a few times here now

What? i fell asleep after your first sentence
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
What? i fell asleep after your first sentence

You might see people call me "Uzi", because I named myself after a popular submachine gun just after the Columbine shooting.

But I'm still an American Catholic (with a strong agnostic streak). The reason I strongly defend Israel is simply because it is the right thing to do.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 05:23 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

nydia2013 wrote:

One bit of confusion to preemptively clear up for everyone on A2K, since I defend Israel so vigorously that people tend to think I am not only Israeli, but I must also be a settler:

I created my Yahoo ID just after the Columbine shooting, and people were yammering on and on about gun control just like they are now.

I picked the ID "Uzi_45ACP" to be as in-your-face as possible to the gun control people.

I never realized how much confusion it would cause when I defend Israel. At the time I don't think it even occurred to me that I'd one day be defending Israel.

At any rate, a lot of people have been calling me "Uzi" online for a lot of years. I almost think I'd answer to the name if someone called me that in real life.

So I'm probably going to be called that more than a few times here now.

Maybe toss an abbreviated version of this post into your profile - that might help folks. Idea
0 Replies