What does "fine and vail" mean?

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:39 pm

Context:
Its market's known far and wide, full of the bounties fine and vail. peaceful and prosperous.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,882 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 08:01 pm
@oristarA,
"Vail means to lower or tip. But I'm wondering if that isn't just the older spelling of "veil"meaning bounties a bit uncertain or tenuous
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 08:31 am
vail can also mean respectful.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:07 am
You only gave a part of the context, omitting the most important. The quote appears to be from the script of a film (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) based on the characters in JRR Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and was preceded by the words "There was the city of Dale."

The apostrophe in "market's" should not be there.

Tolkien used archaic language to give a pseudo-ancient feel to his stories. This technique has been copied, usually badly, in an extremely tiresome flood of books, films and computer games in a genre called "swords and sorcery", mainly liked by Americans.

Vail was a Middle English word. It was a verb used without object and meant "to be of use or profit". Thus the markets of the city of Dale were profitable and full of fine (good quality) goods. I am not sure that the word is used correctly. Is this a quote from the movie script or the book?

timur

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:14 am
@contrex,
It seems that the quote is taken from the movie's subtitles in foreign countries.

Over the internet you can find:

- Fine and vale
- Fine and vail
- Fine and vile

I'd go with the latter..
contrex

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:29 am
@timur,
timur wrote:
I'd go with the latter..

I presume that was a joke? Based on the quality the films? In which case I agree.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:30 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

You only gave a part of the context, omitting the most important. The quote appears to be from the script of a film (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey) based on the characters in JRR Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and was preceded by the words "There was the city of Dale."

The apostrophe in "market's" should not be there.

Tolkien used archaic language to give a pseudo-ancient feel to his stories. This technique has been copied, usually badly, in an extremely tiresome flood of books, films and computer games in a genre called "swords and sorcery", mainly liked by Americans.

Vail was a Middle English word. It was a verb used without object and meant "to be of use or profit". Thus the markets of the city of Dale were profitable and full of fine (good quality) goods. I am not sure that the word is used correctly. Is this a quote from the movie script or the book?

Just the movie script, Contrex.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:34 am
Movie scripts can be full of crap, especially this kind.
oristarA

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:41 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Movie scripts can be full of crap, especially this kind.

Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 10:02 pm
@contrex,
You start out with an extraordinarily crappy book, you can't expect a movie script to save it.
contrex

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 11:40 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You start out with an extraordinarily crappy book, you can't expect a movie script to save it.

As you say, an extraordinarily crappy book.
0 Replies

CasualIntellect

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:06 pm
@oristarA,
You guys are funny. It helps to get the actual quote, in which case you likely wouldn't need clarification. It's amazing how subtitles can help with this. The actual quote: "There was the city of Dale, its markets full of the bounties of vine and vale."

Makes sense now, right? The "bounties of vine and vale" - the grapes from the vines (perhaps also indicating wine fermented from them), the fruits from the harvests grown in the valleys.

Amazingly, no, the movie doesn't suck as bad as a bunch of illiterate whiners want to claim it does.
oristarA

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:09 pm
@CasualIntellect,
Your reply is excellent.
And the movie is hexcellent!
0 Replies