dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:10 pm
@Z ,
http://able2know.org/topic/209179-1#post-5263618
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:28 am
@dalehileman,
Whether or not it flies depends on AIRSPEED, not ground speed. The wheels would be spinning faster on the belt, so the power would be higher, but it doesn't matter what kind of engine it is. If the airspeed is above the stall speed, it will fly.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 09:29 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
basically to counter rotate at the same speed of the wheels.

Excuse me, I didn't notice this before. I take this to mean the airspeed would be zero? Then no, it won't fly.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 10:44 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
If the airspeed is above the stall speed, it will fly.
Yes, no, sorry IRF if you misunderstood, it happens often. What I was saying is that the air from the props passing over the wing of a stationary airplane mightily slightly lift it, reducing the friction of the tires against the belt thus permitting them to slip

But there's a lot more to this if you'll review my postings. For instance just how fast the belt is permitted to go hasn't quite been established

"basically to counter rotate at the same speed of the wheels."
Quote:
Excuse me, I didn't notice this before.
Perhaps you did but because it doesn't make sense you forgot it. As I mentioned a couple of times already, it's tautological, like saying "Don's age is exactly how old he is"
0 Replies