Is blood a homogeneous or heterogeneous mixture

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 07:56 am
I do not know whether blood is homogeneous or heterogeneous .please help,different people have different opinion.please help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 9,236 • Replies: 8
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 08:06 am
@Mathscience 55,
I'd vote for heterogeneous because white blood cells and platelets are not necessarily homogeneously distributed throughout the solution in vivo.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:05 am
@Mathscience 55,
Homogeneous mixtures: air, blood, saturated sugar water.

Blood is homeogeneous mixture ... hence the need for a centrifuge to separate the components.

The uneven distribution of white blood cell components is not a proof of hetero or homo. If left on their own, without the help the centrifuge, they'll not adequately separate into an unmixed mixture.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:05 am
@Mathscience 55,
Homogeneous mixtures: air, blood, saturated sugar water.

Blood is homogeneous mixture ... hence the need for a centrifuge to separate the components.
JPB

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:42 am
@Ragman,
That would apply in-vitro (test tube), but not in vivo (within the body).
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:43 am
@JPB,
it all depends at what magnification were inspecting it.
JPB

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:53 am
@farmerman,
That was my first thought too, fm.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:02 am
In general, red blood cells are homogeneous within the plasma. White blood cells, and platelets, OTOH will congregate around areas of infection and/or injury and will not be homogeneously distributed in the plasma in the body. A tube of blood, however, when rocked on a rocker (as is done before performing a CBC, for instance) will be a homogeneous solution.

As farmer says, if you take a small enough sample and look at it under high enough magnification you won't have a homogeneous solution of the components.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:34 am
@JPB,
I stand corrected. I'm emerging bloody but not unbowed.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is blood a homogeneous or heterogeneous mixture
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 11:02:01