Leadfoot

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:24 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Been there, done that. Grew up in it. I was really comforted by the notion. Was studying to be an Episcopal priest. But after studying the Bible in university, I realized that the odds of it being true are less than that of me winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

And it shows. It is hard making the transition in either direction and after succeeding, it gets increasingly difficult to change your mind. You are defending your current position at least as well as your previous one. Not being critical, that is as it should be.
FBM

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 06:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

And it shows. It is hard making the transition in either direction and after succeeding, it gets increasingly difficult to change your mind. You are defending your current position at least as well as your previous one. Not being critical, that is as it should be.

What would change my mind is evidence. My current position is that there is no credible evidence for a divine creator, and I refuse to engage in the intellectual dishonesty that is faith.
Johnjohnjohn

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:06 pm
@FBM,
Maybe if you seek him accepting his son instead of seeking to prove that he doesn't exist he will show you his existence

Or

http://youtu.be/huIZhzysknI
FBM

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:08 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
I'm not trying to disprove anything. I'm waiting for someone to show some credible evidence to support the god hypothesis.
Johnjohnjohn

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:34 pm
@FBM,
Watch the video
Banana Breath

Thu 10 Sep, 2015 07:39 pm
"God is the infinite part of this complete breakfast."
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/40444/file-14008894-jpg/images/breakfast2-resized-600.jpg
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:16 am
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:

Watch the video

Pass. Unless you can guarantee that it contains genuine, credible evidence to support that god hypothesis, and not just more rhetoric and fallacies.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:38 am
@FBM,
Quote:
@Johnjohnjohn,
I'm not trying to disprove anything. I'm waiting for someone to show some credible evidence to support the god hypothesis.

A scientist does not wait for someone to bring credible evidence. He actively looks for it.
FBM

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
@Johnjohnjohn,

A scientist does not wait for someone to bring credible evidence. He actively looks for it.

I'm not a scientist, but I've been looking for decades, anyway. You got anything?
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 07:57 am
@FBM,
Quote:

I'm not a scientist, but I've been looking for decades, anyway. You got anything?

Of course I do. But this is not a 'one size fits all' kind of thing. You are a unique individual. Mine won't fit you.
FBM

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Then it's not genuine, credible evidence, is it?
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:09 am
@FBM,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Then it's not genuine, credible evidence, is it?

It is when it fits!

I did try on a lot of ill fitting **** first though.
FBM

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
It is when it fits!

Nope. Not unless it "fits" the same for independent observers. That's how science gets done. What you have seems to be a subjective preference that makes you happy. Good for you, but it's not credible evidence unless you can share it openly and independent experimenters can verify the results. Otherwise, anybody's claim is just as good as anyone else's, even when they contradict each other.
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:47 am
@FBM,
I don't mean to say that the basic reality of God is different for everyone, it isn't, but you are trying to make people into interchangeable parts, like a machine. They aren't. It would be very boring if they were.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that finding God IS experimental and it sounds like you have stopped experimenting just because your early attempts failed. People find the same God in different ways. Find your own way.
FBM

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 08:50 am
@Leadfoot,
Not much interested in red herrings here. Do you have any evidence for your god hypothesis that you can share with independent observers?
Leadfoot

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 09:12 am
@FBM,
Nope, gave it my best shot. You're still on your own.
FBM

Fri 11 Sep, 2015 09:17 am
@Leadfoot,
Thank you for being honest.
0 Replies

fresco

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 01:41 am
@FBM,
Note that unless you can define the 'something' you are looking for, all suggestions can be meaningless. Clearly 'science' has nothing to say about the blatantly unscientific 'prime mover' concept despite attempts to establish it in favor of a null hypothesis. We are left with a vague question about 'the meaning of existence' which is fueled by the human cognitive pre-occupation with 'time', 'purpose' and 'planning'. The realization of this in turn has led some to attempt to stand back from cognition/consciousness and try to obtain what amounts to 'a God's eye view' ! And there the path is opened to esotericism and mysticism.

IMO developments in counter-intuitive science (quantum physics and quantum biology) will eventually confine deterministic thinking to the domain of the simple minded. I suggest Einstein's deterministic 'God' represents the limits and the end of the first stage in 'scientific thinking', which let's face it, has had ridiculously short history. The concept of 'evidence' has moved away from simplistic concepts of 'truth' and 'reality' which have their place in the 'courtroom' of social decision procedures, to the more nebulous realm of probability, entanglement, and non-locality.

FBM

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 06:20 am
@fresco,
The 'something' is genuine, credible, ie strong, evidence that can be evaluated by others. Now you'll ask me to define evidence? In this context, I'm not out to push the envelope with regards to semantics, so standard dictionary definitions suffice here.

Just to clarify, I'm not of the illusion that inferential (scientific) knowledge is eternally incontrovertible; obiously it isn't. I only intend to point out that it's proven to be a lot better than going with just anything people claim sans evidence. In the present context, scriptures are the claims, not the evidence.
Amoh5

Sun 13 Sep, 2015 06:34 am
@FBM,
This is only for physics sake not spirituality's sake. If the word god means male immortality, and I said the physique of God the Father is the "Sky" (in relation to Mother Earth) Is the Sky "immortal"?