neologist

Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:54 pm
@JohnBaner01,
JohnBaner01 wrote:
. . . .Firstly, let me explain what God is. God is not a being nor a person or an entity. God is the force that holds everything together, hence his omnipresence . . .
If God is not a person, why refer to him with a personal pronoun?
Smileyrius

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 02:57 am
@JohnBaner01,
What leads you to think your god is omnipresent my friend? It is always an interesting theory.
0 Replies

JohnBaner01

Mon 30 Mar, 2015 05:21 pm
@neologist,
He is commonly referred to that way.
giujohn

Mon 30 Mar, 2015 06:40 pm
@JohnBaner01,
Quote:
Firstly, let me explain what God is. God is not a being nor a person or an entity. God is the force that holds everything together, hence his omnipresence . . .

No...thats gravity.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 30 Mar, 2015 06:47 pm
@JohnBaner01,
There are a few here who would use either she or it. But using the personal pronoun pretty much trashes your argument.
Also, as Smiley has noted, what makes you believe God is omnipresent?
Why can he not know all things by means of some force or power?

You know. You don't have to be in the TV to know what's going on there.
JohnBaner01

Tue 31 Mar, 2015 09:52 pm
@neologist,
I am simply using the standard terminology that is used in the bible and other religious texts. All I am trying to do is to demystify God which I do not believe is something supernatural. God, in my opinion, is a process, not a being.
Finally, I'd like to point out that God as is used in religious texts, especially the Bible is a metaphor just like many of the stories in the Bible. His attributes such as jealousy, anger etc. all are obviously not characteristics of the real God but are used as metaphors. Thus, the use of 'He' is also metaphorical in the same sense.
FBM

Tue 31 Mar, 2015 09:56 pm
@Groomers123,
Groomers123 wrote:

How do i know God is real? I'm sure many people have been asking themselves this. I'm only 15 years old. Some might say that's too early of an age to actually "believe" in any God, but i choose to. I noticed a change in myself after becoming Agnostic and hanging out with about 4 Satanists. I quickly saw myself going towards the "Dark Side" and Satan became more of a idol to look up to. I have ADHD and iv'e been taking Aderall for it. It help me think about what "higher power" is actually out there. My friends base everything on science, but i still have alot of questions regarding space and the earth itself. Big Bang theory seems like a complete rumor. It just doesn't make sense, who created all of space and everything that we see in space? More space matter and star dust? I need some answers. I ready The Bible last night, till about chapter 2. (Old Testament) and it just doesn't seem logical. Why is this "God" creating us and earth? For what purpose? Was "He" sent here to make earth and everything all around us? Who created God, and who created the God before him? Why is "God's" name "God"? I pray but hear no answer. What do i do? What should i believe?

Very reasonable questions. The good news is that others have asked them before: The Official God FAQ
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 07:50 am
@JohnBaner01,
Quote:
He is commonly referred to that way.

by who my friend?
0 Replies

Ragman

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 11:18 am
@JohnBaner01,
Quote:
... all are obviously not characteristics of the real God ...

How would you, or anyone else, know what the characteristics the 'real God' has?
giujohn

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 12:37 pm
@Ragman,
Because the bible, which is supposed to be the literal word of god, says that god is omnipotent and perfect. The problemn is, in that word, it clearly states that god does express human failings, ie anger, jealousy etc. It NEVER says anything about a metaphor.
If for no other reason, this is why intelligent people should view the bible (the only "proof" of gods exsistance) as nothing more than a faciful story.
neologist

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 02:28 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
Because the bible, which is supposed to be the literal word of god, says that god is omnipotent and perfect. The problemn is, in that word, it clearly states that god does express human failings, ie anger, jealousy etc. It NEVER says anything about a metaphor.
What makes you assert anger and jealousy to be imperfect feelings? If someone were to assault your family, would you not be angry? Would you not guard them jealously? It may be that we humans are prone to misdirect these emotions, but that hardly is an indictment of God, who applies them perfectly.
giujohn

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 03:28 pm
@neologist,
So are you asserting that I am a god as well because I get angry and jealous? Because I gotta tell ya if I was a god there would definately be a lot more smiting going on...starting here at A@K!
neologist

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 04:20 pm
@giujohn,
Well, many of us are gods to ourselves. Is that what you mean?

One moment while I sacrifice this IPA to my belly.

Urrrpp!
giujohn

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:45 pm
@neologist,
Good one neo...but real men drink vodka martinis, not that sissy beer, man.
wmwcjr

Sat 4 Apr, 2015 07:50 pm
@giujohn,
Neo is not a sissy. He was a champion weightlifter when he was young; and he chased women, too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:24 am
@giujohn,
You wouldn't know what real men drink. I'll give you a clue, it's not vodka. That's drunk by people frightened that they might actually taste something. And when it's drowned in vermouth or fruit juice, it's just a glorified alco pop.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:28 am
Quote:
If we can believe the universe 'just is' I don't see why it is hard to believe that God 'just is'

There is no problem with the concept of either the universe or a god being eternal. The problem is with the lack of evidence for this or any god.

Quote:
It is evident that the physical realm perhaps started with a physical bang, so there must be some underlying 'thing' that 'just is' and not just the physical universe; God.

Non sequitur, leading to infinite regress. You'll need to fix that. Your premise doesn't entail your conclusion. Also, it leads to the question of what is the underlying thing that 'just is' that enables your putative god's existence. That's infinite regress. Multiple logic fail. Peace to you, but I hope your idea goes extinct.
FBM

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:48 am
Where did your god come from? By that reasoning, it also must have had a cause, a beginning. Please google "infinite regress." There is evidence for a Big Bang; there is none for a god.
Ragman

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:51 am
@FBM,
What a tricky god...covered his/her/its tracks.
izzythepush

Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:00 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

What a tricky god...covered his/her/its tracks.

Wouldn't that make it more of a tracky god?
0 Replies