I am injured. Dammit.

JTT

Fri 19 Apr, 2013 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I imagine JoeN's beauteous beloved has stood in that spot at least once.

I was, of course, speaking of mother nature and then all these swarms of locusts turned it into NYC.

You mean the beauteous beloved he cried and cried over and then replaced in a heartbeat.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 19 Apr, 2013 12:36 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/61564_10200213138788383_1081267079_n.jpg
Joe(my knees LOVE these stairs)Nation

Forget the knees. How long do your tires last with streets like that?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:34 am
Roger:
When I moved to the city in 1995, I was a cyclist. I had over 50,000 miles logged on my Carabella roadbike, a nice very light machine with skinny, high pressure tires. (120psi) In Oklahoma, I taught long-distance cycling to hundreds of people over a period of ten years and remembered telling them that the best way to avoid a flat was "Don't run over anything sharper than your tires." Heh. So, avoid potholes, cracks, splits, gravel and the expansion joints on bridges.

I was very good at doing that in Oklahoma, but the streets of New York City???!!

It was like being very good at Level Three of some video game and jumping up to Level Fifty-Six.
I got a fat tire mountain bike. Hated it.
I like riding on the drops of a bike. I live six blocks from the George Washington Bridge, once across it, you can ride North on 9W for sixty miles, if you want. It's a good road, pretty heavy traffic until you get past Englewood, but then it just long winding climbs and some, but not many, views of the river, but I so hated those six blocks, I just stopped riding.
Stopped and never again turned a crank in New York City.

When I am healthy, I run across the bridge with the hundreds of bikers headed for 9W (They have all learned how to ride at Level 56.) and run up the road for about six miles to an entrance to a park, then I run down through the park right on the river. It's a beautiful 13 mile run. I don't miss being on my bike at all.

Joe(I sold them both)Nation
0 Replies