Is religion responsible for the opposition to peace in the Israel-Palestine conflict?

perennialloner

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 08:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Israel was founded by European Jews on the basis of a European ideology, and these Jews thought they were better than the entirety of the Arab population, Jews, Christians, Arabs, whatever. They believed they were more civilized, and why wouldn't they? Their Arab brothers were Jews, but they weren't anywhere near the same in terms of custom and tradition. I think that maybe European Jews felt more entitled to the land as they were the ones with claim to the Holocaust.

Anyway, there's loads of articles written on the discrimination of Mizrahim by Ashkenazim. That doesn't mean they're treated as badly as Palestinians, and I'd say Israel has been more advantageous for them than if it never had been created, but racism's still there. Ashkenazim is wealthier and more educated. There's also housing segregation, etc...

Then there's the Ethiopian Jews, which is another matter altogether. You might need to clarify your definition of Jew, but to say that there's no unequal treatment of Jews by Jews in light of the black Jews in Israel isn't right.

I'm not trying to diminish the plight of the Palestinian.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 08:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I've been to Israel several times, and have never seen Jews mistreated by other Jews. Please provide evidence of this unequal treatment of Jews by Jews.

There's a lot of things we're likely to overlook as visitors to a foreign country.

BBC: The plight of Ethiopian Jews in Israel

Tablet Magazine: ISRAELI TV SERIES EXAMINES THE LIVES OF MIZRAHIM
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 08:41 pm
@nimh,
Now that you presented information on the Ethiopian Jews, it does ring a bell. I'm sure I've seen some Ethiopian Jews in Israel without giving it much thought.
However, my observations about how Palestinians were mistreated have stayed with me all these years.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 08:49 pm
@nimh,
I'm not too surprised about the discrimination in Israel. Even Japan treats others badly including Koreans and Chinese. Japan is a strange country, because in a city like Yokohama, we visited a Chinatown and ate at a Chinese restaurant. This was back in 1982.

BTW, I have also eaten at a Chinese restaurant in London, and the restaurant had benches and long tables to be shared with strangers.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:59 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
TRANSLATION: The answer to your questions, Glennn, make me uncomfortable enough to cut off communication with you.

I have not been discomforted. I have merely declined to waste my time on nonsense.
oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Why our government feels it has a need to support Israel when they are the perpetrators of atrocities (against Palestinians) boggles the mind.

Tell us all about those Jews and their horrible atrocities.

cicerone imposter wrote:
I've been to Israel, and Palestinians are not treated equally.

Why would foreigners have the same rights as citizens?

cicerone imposter wrote:
Even many Jews are against what's happening in Israel.

Self-Hating Jews are a horrible phenomenon.

cicerone imposter wrote:
Nut'nyahoo is a disgrace to huamanity.

A Jew who is strong and able to defend himself?!? Oh the horror.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What I've seen are checkpoints with armed soldiers where Palestinians are not free to travel. Palestinians have green license plates. There are walls surrounding Palestinian villages.

Why would Israel allow foreigners (who are dedicated to massacring innocent people) to freely enter Israeli territory?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
How Jews are expanding their settlements on Palestinian lands; illegal by international laws.

Good for Israel. Since the Palestinians refuse to make peace, Israel is free to keep the land and use it as they see fit.

Looks like they are putting the land to good use. Well done.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The Merneptah Stele doesn't make reference to culture.
The line where Israel is thought to be mentioned is:
"Israel is laid waste and his seed is not."

Mentioning their culture by name is a pretty clear recognition of that culture as a specific entity.

InfraBlue wrote:
Right. You, however, had conflated Jewish dietary practices with evidence of Israelites. These practices are evidenced throughout the region, so they don't distinguish "Israelite culture" specifically.

Given that the Israelite culture was one of the ones in that area with those dietary practices, these archaeological findings are evidence that Israeli culture was there at this time.

InfraBlue wrote:
You're presuming what isn't there.
The Tel Dan Stele from that time period says:
Quote:
[I killed
Jeho]ram son of [Ahab]
king of Israel, and killed [Ahaz]iahu son of
[Jehoram kin]
g of the House of David. And I set [their towns into
ruins and turned]
their land into [desolation ...]
other [... and Jehu ru]
led over Is[rael ... and I laid]
siege upon [... ]

Nowhere does it mention Judah.

It is a pretty safe presumption that the House of David refers to Judah's rulers and not to the rulers of some other kingdom.

InfraBlue wrote:
I was referring to your assertion that Assyria recorded its conquest and destruction of the two kingdoms in 722 BC. In the Sargon Inscription, or Prism, it refers to Sargon besieging a town in Samaria, not the conquest and destruction of Israel nor Judah for that matter.
Here's a better translation:
Quote:
At the beginning of my royal rule, I…the town of the Samarians I besieged, conquered (2 Lines destroyed) [for the god…] who let me achieve this my triumph… I led away as prisoners [27,290 inhabitants of it (and) equipped from among them (soldiers to man)] 50 chariots for my royal corps…. The town I rebuilt better than it was before and settled therein people from countries which I had conquered. I placed an officer of mine as governor over them and imposed upon them tribute as is customary for Assyrian citizens. (Nimrud Prism IV 25‑41)

Samaria was the capital city of the northern Israelite kingdom (just as Jerusalem was the capital of the southern kingdom of Judah).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaria_(ancient_city)

Depopulating a capital city was a pretty effective way to destroy a polity given the level of social organization back in those days.

Assyria did not destroy the southern kingdom of Judah. Rather Judah became their vassals, and prospered for a century for having done so.

InfraBlue wrote:
They base their claims of ownership on the legends and myths of the Bible, i.e. they or their ancestors followed a religion with claims to Palestine, therefor they own Palestine. This assertion is complete and utter nonsense.

I suppose there could be someone somewhere basing their claim on that argument.

But there is also an argument based on the historical and archaeological fact that the West Bank is the ancient homeland of the Jewish people.

InfraBlue wrote:
The arguments about the House of David and the House of Omri back in the days of Aram-Damascus and Assyria are plainly irrelevant to their preposterous stance.

A bit more relevant however to the argument that this is their historical and archaeological homeland.

InfraBlue wrote:
Right, it is straightforward logic that they came from their own homeland, i.e. the places the Zionist Ashkenazim were indigenous to, e.g. Central and Eastern Europe.

History and archaeology show that the Jewish people are indigenous to the West Bank.

InfraBlue wrote:
Right, it is reasonable to respect indigenous rights. It is completely delusional to claim ownership of Palestine based on the legends and myths found in the Bible as the Zionists assert, however.

That's why I base the claim on the historical and archaeological evidence that the West Bank is the ancient homeland of the Jewish people.
Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I have not been discomforted. I have merely declined to waste my time on nonsense.

Correction: You are refusing to acknowledge Israel's breaking of a ceasefire with Hamas because it indicates that Israel is actually not interested in peace, which goes against your programming.

You are also refusing to acknowledge the details of Operation Agatha because it indicates the violent nature and character of Zionism, which also goes against your programming. But that really doesn't matter anymore, because by now, readers have already googled information concerning Israel's ceasefire violation and the details of Operation Agatha.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:11 am
@Glennn,
You're wasting your time trying to make him see reason. He lives in a fantasy world, facts don't come into it.
Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:17 am
@izzythepush,
Agreed.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:21 am
@Glennn,
When the changes supposedly come along we can discuss the ME without having to bother with uninformed trolls. Can't come soon enough.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:31 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Correction: You are refusing to acknowledge Israel's breaking of a ceasefire with Hamas because

You have a habit of rejecting reality and replacing it with your own hallucinations. It's kind of funny.

Glennn wrote:
it indicates that Israel is actually not interested in peace,

Your denial of Israel's past peace efforts makes it ok for Israel to keep all the land for themselves.

Thanks for doing your part to legitimize the settlements.

I wonder if, in the future, Israel will erect a memorial of thanks to all the people whose hatred of Israel created a situation where Israel got to keep all the land.

Glennn wrote:
You are also refusing to acknowledge the details of Operation Agatha

No such details have been presented. I don't tend to acknowledge imaginary things.

Thanks again for helping to legitimize the settlements though. It was very helpful.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're wasting your time trying to make him see reason. He lives in a fantasy world, facts don't come into it.

Funny how no one can show any facts that I am wrong about.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
When the changes supposedly come along we can discuss the ME without having to bother with uninformed trolls. Can't come soon enough.

I again note that no one has managed to point out any facts that I am wrong about.

Pointing out truths that are inconvenient for people is hardly the definition of a troll.

And actually people can discuss hatred of Israel without being troubled with facts now. All they have to do is not pay attention whenever someone comes along and posts facts.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:54 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
You have a habit of rejecting reality and replacing it with your own hallucinations.

Okay, now before I give you proof positive that Israel broke a ceasefire with Hamas, I want to hear you say that no such thing has happened. That way, I can quote you telling me that I suffer from hallucinations, and then everyone can laugh at the level of your research capabilities. So, just one more time for the record if you would please.
Quote:
You have a habit of rejecting reality and replacing it with your own hallucinations. It's kind of funny.

What you're really saying is that you haven't googled Operation Agatha. Thank you for exposing your propensity for denial when it comes to protecting your beliefs about reality. And once again, before I give you proof positive that Operation Agatha is not a figment of my imagination, and that it does indeed speak to the violent nature and character of Zionism, I would like for you to tell me one more that it doesn't exist. That way, everyone can laugh at the level of your research capabilities. So, just one more time for the record if you would please.
oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:24 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Okay, now before I give you proof positive that Israel broke a ceasefire with Hamas, I want to hear you say that no such thing has happened.

Normally you'd be out of luck. But maybe you can hallucinate me saying it.

Glennn wrote:
That way, I can quote you telling me that I suffer from hallucinations, and then everyone can laugh at the level of your research capabilities.

The fact that I don't have time for nonsense doesn't mean I have no ability to research.

Glennn wrote:
What you're really saying is that you haven't googled Operation Agatha.

Correct.

Glennn wrote:
Thank you for exposing your propensity for denial when it comes to protecting your beliefs about reality.

I don't recall denying anything.

Unless you mean where I denied that any evidence for whatever-it-is had been presented. That denial was correct. No evidence for whatever-it-is has been presented.

Glennn wrote:
And once again, before I give you proof positive that Operation Agatha is not a figment of my imagination, and that it does indeed speak to the violent nature and character of Zionism, I would like for you to tell me one more that it doesn't exist.

"One more time" presumes that I told you this before. That must have been one of your hallucinations.

Responding to the rest would just repeat what I already said in this post already. That would be redundant and repetitive because I already said it.
perennialloner

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
Have you heard of Naeim Giladi? He's an Iraqi anti-Zionist Jew, who migrated to Israel in 1950 at 20 or 21 years old. He has a really interesting story. It talks about his experiences as an Arab Jew in both Iraq and Israel, the injustices to the Mizrahim and the atrocities committed against the Palestinians.

http://www.bintjbeil.com/E/occupation/ameu_iraqjews.html

0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 10:53 am
@oralloy,
Glennn wrote: Can you tell me what year Israel broke a ceasefire with Hamas?

Oralloy wrote: I expect never. It sounds like the sort of nonsense that Palestinians spout to justify murdering children.

So let's start here. You said that Israel never broke a ceasefire with Hamas. Do you still hold to that idea?

Glennn wrote: What you're really saying is that you haven't googled Operation Agatha.

Oralloy wrote: Correct.

Then my point stands. Operation Agatha shows the violent nature and character of Zionism, and your answer to that is to close your eyes and pretend that if you don't look into it, it never happened.

You're doing a fine job of demonstrating the not so fine art of squirming.