Gay Marriage -- An Old Post Revisited

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 10:36 pm
Hi Guys,
I was browsing this website and this old post from 2011 titled "28 Perfectly Good Reasons to Oppose Gay Marriage" crossed my eyes. Here's the link: http://able2know.org/topic/169514-1

There were a couple of things about this post that did not sit well with me. I'd love for your opinions on this one too, because this is for a school project!

I don't understand what the problem with same sex marriage is. I honestly don't. I mean according to this article, the author makes it seem that there is a concrete definition to marriage as between a man and a woman. Why can marriage not be between two people who commit themselves to each other, both financially and emotionally, for all eternity, regardless of gender?

Yes, I understand that homosexuals cannot reproduce and that reproduction is a key component in the preservation of our civilization. However, there are plenty of straight couples who do not have children of their own. The author proceeds to state that "Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children." There are many things wrong with that statement. For instance, the sentence itself is contradictory, because if there are plenty of straight parents whose sons and daughters are gay. It does not take a gay parent to raise a gay child. Actually, unless adopted, gay couples do not, or cannot, reproduce.

The article also makes this rather bold statement, "Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children." 1) There are plenty of people who turn out "alright" without a parent of each gender at the household. The President of the United States is a perfect example of a child raised by a single parent. The word the author chooses, "forbidden," is a terrible choice. There is no such rule that says a single parent is forbidden from raising a child by him- or herself. If there is such a rule, please enlighten me.

I think i'll stop here, because I think this is enough of an opening statement. Like I said before, please reply to this, whether you agree with me or not, because this is for a school project and I'd love for your input to be included.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,263 • Replies: 5
No top replies

bigkenny

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 10:55 pm
@pavarasra,
hmm... very interesting.. I like especially how you focused on rights of the gay community. When I was growing up, I particularly remember that a lot of my friends were gay / lesbian. Let me be the one to tell you that they were some of the best people to be around, because they are so carefree. They are not bothered by the hatred and harassment that society puts toward them. And I use the term 'society' lightly, because I know that not everyone is freaked out by the homosexual community. With that said, I completely agree with you that people should not put down this community; after all, they are humans too? you know?
MaidOfTarth

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:20 pm
@pavarasra,
The original post is something that has been floating around the internet for awhile now. It's all a joke. I've seen it pop up on LGBT related blogs I follow and websites.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:51 pm
@pavarasra,
The original post is a series of satirical arguments that take arguments to the extreme to point out how ludicrous they can be.

For instance.
It is often argued that homosexuality isn't natural so we shouldn't accept it or allow others to accept it.

The author than makes this argument -
Quote:
1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control.

The author points out the absurdity of that argument by pointing out in a back handed way that we do accept other things that aren't natural.
0 Replies

pavarasra

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:44 pm
@bigkenny,
Hi Kenny, I completely agree with your viewpoints... I, too, have many gay friends with whom I worked and went to school with. They are very flamboyant and full of life. It is not right that society shuns this wonderful community today. That is exactly why I'm writing about this controversial topic: to raise awareness of the gay community and make more people understand... Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
bigkenny

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:37 pm
@pavarasra,
Don't get me wrong; I've seen this article circling around, but it is sad to see that such thoughts (as discussed in this article) even cross peoples' minds. Yeah, it was written by some dumbass but still.... no one deserves to be thought of or talked about like that! (sorry for language) I'm a huge advocate of the "Do unto others as you would have them do to you" and I sure do not want anything like this written about me or my loved ones...
0 Replies