OMG! Now I Know What Crabby Snacks Are

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:23 pm
so I heard the line "silver linings playbook" ....“I’m making crabby snacks and homemades!”..... and wanted to know what they are but my google skills failed me.

Quote:
Crabby Snacks (Crab Canapés)
Yield: 48 canapés
Time: About 1 hour, partially unattended
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
One 6-ounce can crabmeat, drained
One 5-ounce jar Kraft Old English cheese spread
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
½ teaspoon garlic powder
6 English muffins, halved

1. Put the butter, crabmeat, cheese spread, mayonnaise, and garlic powder in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread the crab mixture on the English muffin halves. Freeze for 30 minutes.

2. Heat the broiler. Cut each English muffin half into quarters. Transfer the canapés to a baking sheet, and broil until browned and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/02/07/crabby_snacks_and_homemades_recipes_for_silver_linings_playbook_fans.html

fat, fat and more fat with crab broiled onto an english muffin?? O hell ya, I need to make this.

does anyone have a better recipe?

great movie and the first time I have seen Jenifer Lawrence, damn she is smoking hot and a smoking good actress.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 6,591 • Replies: 27
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
lose the cheese. MAke sure the crab mat is LUMP and blue claw. (Dont matter if its Gulf or Chesepeake. The only thing cheese does is hide the delicate flavor of crab, Why ya want to do that? The freezing alone will make it stick together

Try it with no cheese, trust me, its waaaay better
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:32 pm
@farmerman,
Also, mix a little mustard with the mayo and try to keep this as low a percent of the mix as is necessary. It too will **** up the crab flavor if too high a percent.

We used to mget crab cakes with a bit a mayo and mustard iinto the crb , along with garlic, then make into cakes and freeze and fry or broil
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:37 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Try it with no cheese, trust me, its waaaay better

darn, i am a fan of Old English from way back, a family cheesy potato recipe is based upon that and Campbell's cream of potato soup.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
mix a little mustard with

can u be more specific? yellow, dijon, spicy, whole seed.......
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 01:44 pm
Bennet wrote:

First I misread as Crabby patties, thinking Spongebob. I watched the movie too, but I prefer the book over the movie. So what's with the inappropriate but humorous hate tags?

a fair number of people take a dislike to my views, and at least a couple feel the need to launch personal attacks against me because of my views. it will only be a matter of time before hate crime law is sufficiently expanded so that they can be jailed. (see my beard cutting thread for more info).

NOTE: post by Bennet has been deleted but it was a good question.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 02:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
another example of how far A2K has fallen into the gutter:

Quote:
Jesse Jackson Jr Pulls a Modified Giffords
Forums: Jesse Jackson Jr, Hawkeye The Pedophile

http://able2know.org/topic/193596-1

the hamsters should be instructed to clean the place up a bit, and once tried, but no more it seems.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 02:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
I haven't seen the movie but I really liked the book and I wished I could go to their house during a football game just for the eats.

Too funny that you found a recipe. I just might have to try these myself!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 02:52 pm
@farmerman,
Hmmm, my experience with crab is with ocean fresh dungeness? Opinion?
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
dungeness is good but it is enjoyed as a main, like king crab.
Blue crabs are much smaller and some prefer their mild taste. Covering it over with all kinds of stuff llike cheese i painting the lily.
Blue crab has such a nice taste that , like a lobster, it cant really be improved
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
dijon or a "winter spice " mustard is good.
Congresswoman Mikulski (maryland D) has a recipe for her mammas crab cakes which are really a base for any of the crab canapes. If you dont futz with carb meat too much itll reward you with a sublime taste.
farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Congresswoman Mikulski (maryland D) has a recipe for her mammas crab cakes which are really a base for any of the crab canapes. If you dont futz with carb meat too much itll reward you with a sublime taste.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

thanks much...i need to try it both ways...with old english and without but with mustard.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:15 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I haven't seen the movie but I really liked the book and I wished I could go to their house during a football game just for the eats.

Too funny that you found a recipe. I just might have to try these myself!

omg....see the movie. I like very little of Hollywood product now but this was very very good!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 06:18 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
darn, i am a fan of Old English from way back,

Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'Old English?' Are we talking mustard, cheese or marmalade?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 11:28 am
@izzythepush,
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101228195422/recipes/images/f/f9/Old_English.jpg
Cheese American (Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzyme(s)) , Water, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Lactic Acid, Apocarotenal color(s)

izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 11:54 am
@hawkeye10,
I really don't know what to say to that, but thanks for the info.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:11 pm
The crab farmerman is talking about is Blue channel crab. Depending on the water quality, found in rivers and bay areas of Maryland. When supplies are low locally, blue crabs from the Gulf of Mexico work

But I wouldn't put fresh crab meat on bread, it's heresy.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 08:00 pm
If you do make this snack, I would use canned back fin crab meat that comes in those 6 oz cans. You don't need top quality crab for these snacks because the canned cheese, cream cheese, garlic and mayo are mot what you would mix if you were making crab cakes like Maryland natives do, this is a salty but decent party snack that's spread over English muffins, quartered, frozen until ready to serve, then placed under a broiler until slightly browned and bubbly. These are snacks, tasty, but you don't want to waste fine fresh lump crab meat for a party snack.

I think farmerman spent some time in Maryland and enjoys crab meat in a purer form. I differ slightly, and my method is closer to Barbara Milkulski's Baltimore roots recipe. I make crab cakes with lump crab meat, enough real mayo to bind the meat together, I also sprinkle a little old bay into the mayo, let it sit in the fridge for twenty minutes to let the old bay blossom. When you mix the crab and mayo mixture, be very gentle or the lumps will collapse and look and feel like much cheaper back fin. Shape the mixture into balls, gently then flatten into small cakes. Refrigerate again for about an hour. This helps them stay in shape when you heat them. Some people broil them, I prefer to sauté in butter until browned on bottom, then flip to brown other side. (You have to use real mayo, because the lt. Mayo breaks down when heat is applied and the cakes crumble apart, I learned this the hard way)

I love garlic and spicy brown mustard, but not in crab cakes. Also, green pepper, chopped onion, curry and a load of other things ruin crab cakes. It over powers the crab. All of those things are fine, but in other crab meat recipes.
All of this is moot if you are using any other crab besides blue channel crabs.

But, really, if you find a mixture you like, use and enjoy. One of the local old favorites around Baltimore restaurants and rest of the state is crab imperial. I really don't like it, uses way too much mayo and too rich for me. But lots of locals love it.

The crabby snacks should be fine following the recipe you mentioned at the top, enjoy.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 04:16 am
@glitterbag,
Mikulskis recipe is what I mentioned. She does put a small dollop of mustard into the mix and it heightens the flavor. The crab canapés that Hawkee was mentioning had cheese in it and cheese overpowers everything. so, if its worth eating, its worth getting a real crab taste , not some salty gluey mix.

We have often subbed "Jonah Crab" for blue crab and its good .
The "slipper" crabs seem to be displacing the blue crab on the upper bay (Chestertown and North) and these little buggers are inedible, best used for bait.

Those damned Indonesian crabs are not a good substitute, they wash em in chlorine and you can taste that. If you buy canned crab meat lump is the best because they don't use the chlorine dip on such a fine flavored meat. Yeh its more expensive but its crab nd ya cant make anything else taste like it.