Business name with apostrophe

Tangy82

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 08:43 am
Hello:

Could you please help me with the correct usage here. I got caught-up on the possessive and apostrophes in these sentences:

A.
In regard to closing Dog Land’s office, the attached memo lists a few outstanding items that require your guidance and direction. Please feel free to add items to this list. Please express how you would like for me to execute the closing of Dog Land’s office.

B.
In regard to closing Dog Land’s office, the attached memo lists a few outstanding items that require your guidance and direction. Please feel free to add items to this list. Please express how you would like for me to execute the closing of the Dog Land office.

Many thanks,
Tangy82

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,477 • Replies: 5

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 08:52 am
@Tangy82,
They are both correct.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 09:58 am

The correct usage would depend on what the business incorporated as. If they were doing business as Dog's Land, then your first example is correct.

Businesses (and cities as well) will sometimes register their name minus an obviously appropriate apostrophe, for such simple reasons as saving space on signs or letterheads. For instance, a nearby town near me is officially known as Taylors Falls, even though it was named after a man named Taylor. So it is futile to attempt to apply proper grammar rules in such a case as yours. I would suggest looking at the official name and use that as your guide.
contrex

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:13 am
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:
If they were doing business as Dog's Land, then your first example is correct.

Nowhere in the example does Dog's Land appear. It's Dog Land.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:45 am
@contrex,
True, but the point is valid. However the business is registered is the correct way to write it.
0 Replies

trinath

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 05:38 am
@Tangy82,
yeah its gud now
0 Replies