Garter w/swollen butt!!

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 02:46 am
I have a small garter snake, approximately 16" long, that I rescued from a business in the town where I live in MI. I've had him/her for about 5-6 mos. I've been feeding (let's say "her") earthworms. She eats twice a week. She eats about 5-6 med. sized earthworms at each feeding.
I noticed a few days ago that her "butt-opening" was swollen. I thought she was maybe constipated, so I let her swim in some warm water. She didn't go potty. I examined her butt, and it's not red or is there any drainage of any kind. The opening looks almost like it was "glued". (Don't worry, that is NOT a possibility!!). It appears to be almost "shiny"- looking.
I am not familiar with snakes, other than I used to catch them and then let them go after a day or two when I was a kid.
Would you have any idea what could be wrong?? There are no reptile vets anyplace near where I live, so I'm at loss as to what to do!! Would it help if I sent a picture?? Do you think this requires immediate attention?? I surely don't want anything to happen to her!! She is a very sweet snake and my grand-children have thoroughly enjoyed watching her. She has become a very special part of our family.
I would appreciate ANY info/advice you could/would give me. My e-mail & phone will be listed below.
Thank-You so much!!

Chris Scholten
[email protected]
ph.--616-834-1361
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,264 • Replies: 1
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 11:31 am
@purplefox7777 ,