Do you make your own Spaghetti Sauce?

jcboy

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:12 pm
I believed I mentioned in another thread that my grandmother on my fathers side of the family was an Italian Jew. Every Sunday she made her sauce. She never gave her recipe to anyone and took it to the grave with her.

When I was a kid my mother would try to make my grandmothers sauce but it was never the same.

My grandmother would make it every Sunday, it cooked all day long. Sometimes she would cook her braciole in the sauce. Now my mom did figure out how to make her braciole but the sauce was still missing so it wasn’t quite the same.

I have never tried making my own spaghetti sauce and I’ve have never quite found anything as good as my grandmothers secret sauce. So post your secret spaghetti sauce recipes, I remember my grandmothers had a sweet taste to it. I need to find her recipe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 6,908 • Replies: 54
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:20 pm
@jcboy,
I always make my own spaghetti sauce.

There are some good italian jewish cookbooks, one name on the tip of my tongue. Not that your grandmother's was the same, but that there might be clues.

So, listen, if you folks ever go to Rome..
jcboy

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:23 pm
@ossobuco,
I’ve been to Italy but I couldn’t find any sauce that was as good as my grandmothers. Now I know my grandfather was Sicilian but she was his second wife so not sure if she was also Sicilian.
boomerang

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:43 pm
@jcboy,
I make my own sauce (using canned tomatoes).

The secret to a sweeter sauce is carrots.

Cook the carrots in a bit of butter in a covered pot (low heat) until they soften up. Grind them up in a food processor or blender and add to your sauce.

I don't know if that was your grandmother's secret but it's the one I use to make my sauce a bit sweeter.
ossobuco

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:46 pm
@jcboy,
Well, I sort of know sicilian cooking (from afar) and roman cooking from being there, and slightly know roman jewish cooking, and do not know about sicilian jewish cooking but am interested.

I still can't remember that book author that was famous back when I was paying attention, but now there are many, and a lot of blogs.

I'll bet it was sicilian sauce, but I'll only bet finny sence.

jcboy

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 05:00 pm
@boomerang,
Carrots? That could be, I remember my mom getting mad because she couldn’t make that sauce like my grandmother, she would say my grandmother just uses Ragu and puts sugar in it.

Of course she knew that wasn’t how she made it.
Ceili

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 05:06 pm
@jcboy,
I use carrots too, but I finely shred them first and I throw them in when the onions are just starting to caramelize.
Did your grandmother roast any of the vegetables, like peppers or garlic? That would make the sauce sweeter too.
Most of the Italians I know do use sugar as well.
It could be any combination of methods.
jcboy

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 05:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I got the idea of cooking my meatballs by frying them first from my grandmother.

I was told by my mother that’s how sicilian’s cooked the meatballs, first fried them then finished cooking them in the sauce. Other places in Italy baked them first and then put them in the sauce.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 05:09 pm
@Ceili,
She did roast veggies!

I can remember being at her house while the sauce cooked all day. In fact I remember my grandfather teasing her about putting sugar in the sauce.
Roberta

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:37 pm
I got a recipe for a sauce from an Italian friend who got it from her grandmother. Sugar goes directly in the sauce.

When it's a meat sauce, the meatballs are fried first.

Carrots aren't in it, but I can see that a grated carrot would sweeten it up. I may try that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 06:45 pm
@jcboy,
Ceili is spot on about roasting vegetables.

If you have a gas stove just sit the pepper over a gas jet and let it char on the outside. It will be deliciously sweet.

And yeah -- you've got to fry the meatballs first.
0 Replies

Mame

Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:16 pm
I add home-roasted red peppers to my sauce for the sweetener. I puree them once they're done and add them in. Yum.
georgeob1

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 01:06 am
@Mame,
My wife makes great spaghetti sauce, but sometimes doesn't like to make it as often as I'd like. I use all the right stuff, and prepare the onions, garlic, red peppers and mushrooms separately before combining. Sadly I appear to lack her sense of balance and proportion in cooking. Mine is very good, but not nearly as good as hers.

However, I have found s sure way of motivating her. All I have to do is go into the kitchen and start assembling the ingredients and announce my intention to make a big batch, right now. Like a flash she's in the kitchen instructing me on how not to make a mess. Soon she gives up; kicks me out and makes it herself. I do get to caramelize the onions and peppers, shred the carrots, and saute the mushrooms, but that and pouring the wine are about it.
Mame

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 07:42 am
@georgeob1,
You're smart! I'm the same when my husband announces his intention to make something Smile But he loves cooking so I just help with the prep work and clean up to keep the disaster at a minimum.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 07:58 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Carrots? That could be, I remember my mom getting mad because she couldn’t make that sauce like my grandmother, she would say my grandmother just uses Ragu and puts sugar in it.

Of course she knew that wasn’t how she made it.

That's not unheard of. The adding sugar to the sauce, not the Ragu charge. I never used sugar but I use whole carrots in my homemade sauce. Then again, I don't want my sauce to be too sweet. I prefer a strong acidy, tomatoey sauce.

I just add a couple of large slabs of carrots which adds a touch of sweetness and a little color.
jcboy

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 02:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's what I thought!

Thanks for all the input. I’ve been checking different Sicilian recipes online. Whichever one it is it’s one where everything is pureed because her sauce was very smooth, no chunks in it all.

I’ll experiment with a few different recipes and do some taste testing while I’m making it.
Roberta

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 02:17 pm
@jcboy,
My sauce is all pureed too. No lumps and bumps.

Do you want the recipe? It's very simple. Nothing fancy.
jcboy

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 02:17 pm
@Roberta,
I would love it, thank you Roberta, I will give it a try!
ossobuco

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 02:19 pm
@jcboy,
Sicilian recipes, be still my heart.. which, you know, tends to make tangents:

my favorite, not for sauce but for a kind of pizza:

http://able2know.org/topic/111460-1#post-3082196
Sfiunciuni con la Conza di Pomodoro e Cipolli
Pearlylustre

Mon 28 Jan, 2013 02:31 pm
@jcboy,
I don't have a good sauce recipe for you but I'm just surprised and sad that your grandmother didn't share her recipe - even with her family. All good recipes should be shared and family recipes should be handed down. Did she refuse to give it out when she was asked or did nobody think to ask her before she died?