Will Australia burn down before it dries up and blows away?

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
These areas are facing major floods AGAIN......they've had a terrible time. Looks as though Brisbane is going to flood again.

Moondoggy's area is being hit too.....and he's the next state south....northern New South Wales.

Wondering if too much land clearing is part of the problem.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 04:14 pm
@ossobuco,
El Niño and La Niña are weather patterns......one is thought to bring dry conditions, La Niña to bring wet...to us at least.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_el_nino_and_la_Nina#page2

I have recently seen some doubts raised about this...

We thought we were. Moving back into El Niño this summer, but the world seems to have changed its mind.
hingehead

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Hinge - there is El Nino and La Nina - and I'm not clear on which you were talking about.

Oopsy, I'm guessing you're noting my appalling Spanish grammar rather than the weather concepts. All the Spanish I know is from a 6 week trip in 2006 - So I'm pretty much stuck on 'Dos cerveza, por favor' and 'Dos mas, gracias'.

If it was more than my gender pronoun stuff ups Deb's explanation makes it clear.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:33 pm
Apparently there's no phone or DSL in much of north queensland. I've come into work on a public holiday to figure out what's going on. A telstra cable washed away at Kingaroy. Work's phones are out but thanks to AARNet owning it's own fibre I have web so could see how Mrs Hinge is doing in Brisvegas. She's on the 26th floor of an apartment pondering on whether to go to her sisters if the flood picks up or the power goes. She's been down for months for secret squirrel govt work - I lost internet last night at home and got 'congestion' messages when I tried to call her - it was only this morning I realised I couldn't call anyone. So I came to work and I'm italking to her. She's fine.
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 07:40 pm
@hingehead,
Blimey. So sorry you guys are being hit again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:02 pm
@dlowan,
right, but Hinge called whatever was going on as el nina, so I was confused and didn't look it all up to see which it was but thinking nino, and also sort of remembering what you are saying, re doubts raised.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:04 pm
@hingehead,
Yikes..
but glad she's fine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:29 pm
I didn't realize all that was going on. I better start reading this thread more closely.
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Some water reaching heights never before recorded.....records beginning in the 1870's in some areas. Just watching TV and around bundaberg evacuation is mandatory. Bet lots of people still stay though!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 09:43 pm
@dlowan,
Moondoggy just posted the stay at home warnings for his town. Scary stuff.
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 10:26 pm
@ehBeth,
It's all happening very fast....water levels peaking higher than expected. Seems to be getting worse every minute.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 08:39 am
@dlowan,
Damn.

Joe(got to get out the map)Nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 08:43 am
@dlowan,
Yikes. Every keep your heads... up?

Seriously, stay safe and avoid flood waters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 08:51 am
The Wabbit is south of the flooding--which doesn't make it any easier for her to bear.
0 Replies