Do you kill lobsters and crabs BEFORE you cook them? And how?

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:26 pm
Yes, Virginia, Crabs Likely Feel Pain, But They're Still Delicious
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/01/17/169443117/yes-virginia-crabs-likely-feel-pain-but-theyre-still-delicious

Me? I've only cooked lobsters before and since I worked in a restaurant during my high school years, I've learned the best way was the knife through the noggin method. So? Do you kill your lobsters and/or crabs before you boil, steam, and/or bake them? If not then why not?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 01:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've not been around lobsters much in my life. One memorable time was at another student's house when she made sauteed lobster to go with our classes' efforts to make our own tagliatelle.. but that lobster was from a market, probably Santa Monica Seafood (far as I know, the largest seafood distributor in the U S).

I've several times bought fresh dungeness crabs from a shack by the water in downtown Eureka - but the guy there steams them for you, before you quickly run home with your treasure. I've no idea if they somehow kill them in a 'kinder' way first or if there is a kinder way.

Of course I remember the Annie Hall lobster scene..

interesting thread, Tsar, I'll be listening.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
NOOOOOOOO JEEZUS CHRISTE. they must be boiled.Always keep a lid on top so you muffle their pitiful screams
Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:19 pm
@farmerman,
I thought hearing the screams was part of the enjoyment later while chomp chomp chomping away on the cooked critter.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:19 pm
@Sturgis,
it is a guilty pleasure
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Can't you just put 'em in head first?
JPB

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:26 pm
Head first plunge into boiling water.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 02:43 pm
@JPB,
I said steamed but I don't remember what I saw, probably boiled.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/crab.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:11 pm
According to actual gossip, they die in fresh water, so you are supposed to put them into fresh water before cooking. I do not know why this is supposed to be more pleasant.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 03:59 pm
I’ve never cooked one before.

How I would cook it would depend on the lobsters temperament, now if this lobster tried to pinch me with its claws then I would slowly lower it into the hot boiling water, just enough to dip his claws in then pull him back out, keep doing that for about ten minutes.

Now if it were a nice lobster I would just toss it in the boiling water as fast as I could to put it out of its misery.
Cool
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 04:16 pm
@jcboy,
Maine lobsters deserve a cooking i cold sea water whichi sbrought up to temperature. That assures that the lobster dies quietly.
Plunhing them into boiling water is, of course, quicker but the oter way is like lulling the thing to sleep.

Whats the best accompaniment to a lobster??
NOTHING
maybe just some butter but a good hard shell doesnt need butter. Never eat a lobster bigger than say, 2 pounds, the bigger they are, the rubberier they taste after being in a pound. If ya gotta eat a big 4 pounder, buy it from the boat as it lands.

Ive actually gone out with my neighbor inEastport(hes a lobstahman) and its work lemme tell ya.( None of those southern "rock" lobsters *which are just big langusta).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:46 am
A lobster dies in the boiling pot.
Oh pity the bluefish, too.
Yet they're quickly gone and they suffer not
Like the ache I bear for you my dear Mary Anne . . .

0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:53 am
@tsarstepan,
Ferk.

Ok this is horrible... I remember so well. Why REMIND ME?

Smile

My grandmother boiled yabbies (simular) on the "river , river boat" I was 11.

Sheez, she put cold water , gas on, check, boiled.... and all of a sudden, we were sitting there and the screeching high pitched voice, never forget as long as I live, off course I am 39 now Smile It was horrible, horrible, horrible........

She mean't for the water to be hot.

Even then, I know it it seconds, but how do you break their friggen necks, no other way I reckon (Aussie talk) ... Boiling hot water.

Can't do it personally.................................................frozen, cope.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:56 am
@FOUND SOUL,
That reminds me of another way to actually do it Found Soul.

I heard that you put the lobster in the freezer for an hour. Supposedly puts the lobster into a coma so it doesn't know what hits him when he hits the boiling water.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yep. Heard of that one too...

This Festive season we bought a lobster and prawns.. What is ironic is they state "FRESH" Lobsters and prawns. Well fresh to me, means, just cooked .

In SA, not sure about other States, you have to cook them and then freeze them now. So, "FROZEN" sounds more like it........

Doesn't taste the same ... Just doesn't......................
Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
My friend's husband is a cray fisherman. She told me to put the cray/lobster in a bucket of fresh water for about 20 mins - you need the lid on! They've been in the business for many years and believe that's the most humane way to kill them - so I trust that.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 04:28 pm
@Pearlylustre,
you need to boil them in seawater, for best flavor
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
Or steam them with a whole lock (?) of seaweed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 06:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just tell 'em my jokes! It kills 'em quickly!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 07:27 pm
@DrewDad,
DD, That's how I learned to cook crabs and lobsters.
0 Replies