Why are many white people in the US paranoid about looking racist?

ggfy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:07 pm
Let me start off stating that I got this impression during my one year of stay in the US.

I've noticed that some white people are so paranoid about looking racist that they will make it a mission to take offense on behalf of other races in any race-related situation. For example, I remember a while back here there was a discussion between my white friends in the US, by some white person fretting about if they should take a stand against someone's joke about Asian drivers on Facebook even though it sounded like the Facebook post was made as a way of teasing an Asian friend rather than genuine anti-Asian bigotry.
See, that's the problem with white people. Unfortunately, sometimes their sense of humor is as lacking as their melanin is.*

*that was meant to be a joke obviously, but I bet if I hadn't made this disclaimer someone would have gotten all upset over it.

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:21 pm
@ggfy,
I don't get it. What is the problem here?
ggfy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Why are many white people in the US paranoid about looking racist?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Take a look at his first post. Clearly, too much time on his hands - and god knows where those hands have been.
jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:31 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

too much time on his hands - and god knows where those hands have been.

And he doesn't wash them either because he likes the smell Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:44 pm
What does a racist look like?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:20 pm
We just had a race in Houston. Everybody was running, of all colors, but just Bazu Worku and Merima Mohammed overcame cold and wet conditions to take home the 2013 Houston Marathon men's and women's titles.

Mohammed ran the second-fastest time in Houston Marathon history and did so while overcoming a leg problem that hampered her throughout the race.

"I had a problem with my left leg," Mohammed said to reporters through a translator. "It was hurting badly. It was a very painful situation."

Mohammed finished the race with a time of 2:23:27, missing out on the course record by 23 seconds. She was 47 seconds faster than second place Buzunesh Deba.

On the men's side, Worku ran away from the pack finishing in 2:10:17. Teferi Balcha finished in second place, but over two minutes behind Worku. Andrew Carlson and Tera Moody were the top U.S. finishers.

Feyisa Lilesa successfully defended his half marathon title and Mamitu Deska won the women's race. Daska was the 2011 Houston Marathon champ and becomes the first to ever win the marathon and the half marathon race.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:59 pm
@ggfy,
Quote:
Let me start off stating that I got this impression during my one year of stay in the US.

What part of the US were you visiting?

Quote:
...someone's joke about Asian drivers...was teasing an Asian friend rather than genuine anti-Asian bigotry

Is this anything like what some conservative Congressmen believe about rape, that if it is a "genuine rape," the woman can't get pregnant?

ggfy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
New York. Your conservative Congressmen is sick, like his fellow conservative men. I am not a religious at all.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:33 pm
@ggfy,
Why do you think he is sick? Much like your statement, he's making a delineation between "genuine" rape and not "genuine" rape.

How does that differ from your statement about it not being "genuine" bigotry? When would it not be genuine bigotry?
ggfy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
If someone is truly prejudiced, and seriously believes Asians can't drive as well as other races, it's a genuine bigotry.

If it's made as a way of teasing an Asian friend, then it is not a bigotry.

Understand?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 07:10 pm
@ggfy,
Yep, I understand that your logic is just as convoluted as that of the conservative Congressmen.
jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 07:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
And don't dare ask what his favorite smell is Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 07:20 pm
@ggfy,
People in different countries drive with vastly different driving conditions and driving mores among the population. I figure I'd be in trouble within a block in many cities of the world and that people there would make fun of me for being a standing oxen on the road. People in italian cities drove in what to me was a free for all that even I could see had its own rules and I thought after the first shock that the drivers were pretty good, just different than I was used to. People making fun of drivers new to southern california freeways might make slightly more fun of Asians new to the country, but the same freeway system and its rules of the road would also throw some americans for a loop, and they would just be called stupid asses or similar names.

Observation of certain people having difficulty with new places doesn't mean someone is racist.

On the other hand, americans have been racist in the past and present and some of us try to get away from pegging people in race categories. Which brings up that there is no such thing as race except as a social concept. (There are threads about that.)

0 Replies

ggfy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 07:43 pm
@Butrflynet,
Remember the old National Lampoon, back when it used to be funny (tm)? They had lots and lots of grotesquely overt racism... But it was so over-the-top, it mostly came across as lampooning racism itself. It's an extremely dangerous gambit; some people won't see the implied irony, the hidden double-negative, and only see the overt racist content.

Was National Lampoon committing "genuine" racism, or were they involved in a kind of "in your face" consciousness-raising? It isn't an easy question to answer.

(Are "The Vagina Monologues" genuine sexism?)
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 07:49 pm
@ggfy,
ggfy wrote:

Remember the old National Lampoon, back when it used to be funny (tm)? They had lots and lots of grotesquely overt racism... But it was so over-the-top, it mostly came across as lampooning racism itself. It's an extremely dangerous gambit; some people won't see the implied irony, the hidden double-negative, and only see the overt racist content.

Was National Lampoon committing "genuine" racism, or were they involved in a kind of "in your face" consciousness-raising? It isn't an easy question to answer.

(Are "The Vagina Monologues" genuine sexism?)

americans are increasingly humorless dolts who cant take a joke. we also love our victims so much that we must make some victims if we cant find enough, which is a separate problem.
0 Replies