Disable Java?

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 06:50 am
Heard an article on the news yesterday that says that Java has a security hole so large that the government recommends you should disable Java on all machines. Anyone taking action? Lots of stuff isn't going to work very well without Java. Another link: http://news.yahoo.com/government-warns-java-security-concerns-escalate-160640366--sector.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,646 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 07:02 am
@engineer,
I disabled it a few months ago. Every time I did a java update it screwed up my computer and I had to do a system restore.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 12:32 pm
Are there good alternatives to Java?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 01:08 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Anyone taking action?

I just uninstalled it outright. I figure any fix is going to involve installing a new version, and there is no reason for keeping the compromised one around if I am never going to have it active again.

But I do intend to install the new version of Java once they get a fix in place. I'm not abandoning Java or anything like that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 06:59 pm

Java 7 Update 11 has been released.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 07:55 pm
I installed the Java with update 11 and my computer even works better. Possibly because I deleted three Java installations I already had.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 09:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Java 7 Update 11 has been released.

Looks like it is only a partial fix:
http://www.zdnet.com/security-experts-on-java-fixing-zero-day-exploit-could-take-two-years-7000009756/

I rolled back to Java 6 since they're updating it until the end of February 2013.

If I need to switch back to Java 7 in a month or two in order to keep getting security updates, that will at least give them more time to get a handle on this problem.
0 Replies