JLNobody

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
truth
Wildflower, I know that it is only because of the structure of our language, but I bring to your attention your phrase: "Once dead YOU remain that [way]." I ask you the rhetorical question: WHO remains that way? Is there STILL a you after death? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:44 pm
It's not a function of language, JL, but a belief in continuity that explains that. Even when dead, a person still exists as a memory. Not in terms of semantics, but in terms of a faith we all share.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 11:00 pm
truth
It's both faith and language structure. I suspect the faith is based on the language structure, rather than the other way.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:34 am
So that phrase existed before memory developed? Doubtful.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:31 am
truth
Wha?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:30 am
Mile-O-Phile wrote:
Terry wrote:
Where did people get the idea that a god must be omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, or omni-anything else?

The question was "if God is omnipotent..." - I'd say that's a safe bet on where the idea of God being omni- anything came from; the assumptive nature of the question. Rolling Eyes

Actually the question was, "If God is said to be omnipotent then, ..."

Quote:
God must exist because He can't do otherwise.

That makes no sense. You have to assume his existence to require his existence. The existence of a concept of God does not tell us anything about the existence or non-existence of any actual God.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:38 am
Randall Patrick wrote:
If God is construed as "all-powerful", then there can be no limits to what he can do. Period. What, after all, does human logic have to do with God?

If human beings created God, we can certainly apply our own logic to him and demand that he operate within whatever constraints we assign to him. Smile

Many Gods had human flaws and various limitations. Some could be killed by other Gods and presumably could also commit suicide. The Judeo-Christian God is generally believed to constrain himself not to intervene to save human lives so as not to interfere with free will. (No explanation of why a murderer's free will is more important to God than the extinguishment of the victim's, but Christianity has never been a logical religion. Confused )
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:39 am
Why do people assume God exists in a form we would relate to?

Suicide is a killing of the host body, not the soul.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:15 am
Wildflower63 wrote:

I do believe Jesus lived and was loved by the common person, as most of us are just that. I do not believe that the Bible can be taken literally. I still have a bit of a problem with this idea of a flood and taking a pair of every animal. Like you can really catch them! Very doubtful. It very well may be truth that a man built a boat and tried to salvage animal life.

I always thought the Noah and the Ark story was probably embellished to a great degree!
Quote:
What is God? Could what we see as God be an alien life form of advanced technology that people could not explain? Maybe so. Is there a use for belief in a God, no matter what religion? Absolutely, they do try to bring out the best in humanity and I do feel this is a worthy goal. Did people of the past act in better ways towards other for fear of Hell? If people of today did, the the world was a better place because of it

I believe God is the creator of life. As for who created God....I would say He always existed. He has no beginning and no end. I can't imagine my life without having religion in it. Never praying for others or myself. Having a higher power to lean on in times of trouble or to thank when good things happen. I don't think people act any better because the fear of going to hell has been instilled in them. It's much better to serve and worship God out of Love than fear. It's the same with people. When my son was growing up, I would much rather he behave and follow the rules because he loved me and wanted to do the right thing than to only behave because he was afraid of what horrible punishment I might give him if he misbehaved. I would rather be respected than feared anyday
Quote:
I do not believe that there is any for of Hell beyond life that we live every day. I do not believe that humans possess a soul that my loving dog, who has committed no sin and never will, that will pass to some sort of wonderful afterlife, minus my beloved dog because she has no soul, just arrogant humans. I don't believe there are ghosts. I don't believe in reincarnation of souls to live another life. What's that? Some sort of recycling bin that I do with glass and plastic and put on the curb as garbage?

I believe that dogs (all animals) have a soul. Not a soul exactly like human beings have, but they are little lives that were made by God and each and everyone of them serves a purpose on earth, just as humans do. I have to believe that upon their death, there is a beautiful afterlife waiting for them. And, if there is a special pet that was very loved in life and formed a bond with his/her human, that when both have gone on to the afterlife, those two spirits will be together once again. I believe in ghosts. I have seen two in my lifetime! I think the living and the dead are all here together, operating on different planes and sometimes, for whatever reason, those planes cross over. I don't believe in reincarnation.
Quote:
If I decide to take my own life, it is my life to take, with no repercussions of some imaginary afterlife of punishment or reward. Rewards in life are earned by intrinsic value of helping others with no compensation. Your ills will come back to bite you in the butt.

I don't believe that my life is my own. If I were to take my own life, those who love me would be left to feel the repercussions of my action. I wouldn't want to do that to them. Oft times, people with severe depression or mental illness take their own life. The real tragedy is that people either can't or won't seek help when they need it most. Often times too, family members either are blind to the symptoms or feel helpless to force the person to get help. Sometimes, people create thier own hell here on earth by the things they choose to do and the wrong decisions they make. What goes around comes around.
Quote:
Once dead, you will remain that, as I see it. What ever presence you may think you have probably only exist in the minds of those who remember you. What will they remember you for? Good or bad?

If a person has had children, their genetic material lives on. Men and women can die and leave behind sperm and eggs to be brought to life through artificial means. Death isn't what it used to be I guess. It doesn't mean the end of the line! Everyday we write a page in our obituary. I hope that when I die, my family (even the ones who aren't real crazy about me) and friends will be able to say that I was an honest, sincere, caring, and loyal person. I hope that everyone who knows me or was acquainted with me will have at least one fond memory of me.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 05:37 am
We are not qualified to judge god: even if he killed the Havlock. Its the plot to an episode of Star trek. Basically not even Jean Luc pickard can argue with a gods actions.
He can do what he wants thats why hes a god. (or she-if that's what he chooses to be.)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 07:28 am
@JLNobody,
No so!

If one believes in an all-powerful god, then one has no choice but to believe he can do things that make no sense.

In point of fact, the Christian bible (for example) is rife with such examples.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 02:02 am
If God is all powerful, what possible motivation can he have in meddling in our affairs ( the idea of God the Indifferent is lifted from Kurt Vonnegut jnr. "Sirens of Titan"
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:35 am
@Wildflower63,
god is the laws of the universe imo, not there but they do control everything, dont they?

that means my definition of evil is conciousness.

it cannot kill himself, it is not alive.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:43 am
@OGIONIK,
what greater right does a man have than to his own life?

i decided i wanted to die a long time ago after a "serious evaluation" and an internal philisophical debate.

but im so effing lazy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2009 08:24 am
You are all talking as if God were human. People always seem to transfer human traits and inadequacies to God.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:51 pm
Can we say that since "God" is only an object of belief, when the prevalence of such a belief declines to that extent "He" will be dead.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2009 05:53 pm
Can we say that since "God" is only an object of belief, when the prevalence of such a belief declines to that extent "He" will be dead? If so, we may argue that God cannot commit suicide; he can only be murdered.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 12:33 am
@Intrepid,
A classic hypocrisy given your beloved Christian bible is infested with said anthropomorphisms.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:18 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

A classic hypocrisy given your beloved Christian bible is infested with said anthropomorphisms.

Perhaps you could point out exactly where you find these anthropomorphisms that you consider hypocrisy.

mesquite

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 12:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You are all talking as if God were human. People always seem to transfer human traits and inadequacies to God.

Intrepid wrote:

Chumly wrote:

Perhaps you could point out exactly where you find these anthropomorphisms that you consider hypocrisy.

For starters how about...
in Exodus 20:5 Moses wrote:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;