What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 962 • Replies: 10
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:51 pm
(And on an aside - is this really the first thread on the topic, period? There's a thread on a naked Hong Kong newsreader but not on this? 200 people died in a multiple bomb attack, you know. 8 million Spaniards demonstrated yesterday to show their anger.)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:00 pm
This is thread number three.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20427
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20436
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:05 pm
nimh wrote:
(And on an aside - is this really the first thread on the topic, period? There's a thread on a naked Hong Kong newsreader but not on this? 200 people died in a multiple bomb attack, you know. 8 million Spaniards demonstrated yesterday to show their anger.)

Although the interest - it's "international" - seems to be so low that I stopped updating. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:07 pm
No, many of us are still interested, I'v been following the results in BBC and the German and French newspapers, since I don't read spanish without a good dictionary. Sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:09 pm
the Arab World Responds
Quote:
Madrid attacks unsettle Arab press

Thursday's bomb attacks in Madrid are roundly condemned in many Arabic language papers in the Middle East.

But several editorial writers are concerned at what they see as an attempt to pin the blame on Arab terrorism before any hard evidence emerges about the identity of the perpetrators.

The series of attacks on Spain two days ago is truly another crime committed against humanity and the innocent... Regardless of whoever is behind the brutal attacks... they must be condemned.

Saudi Arabia Al-Watan

Are we back in the Stone Age? Is this the law of the jungle, where ferocious wolves attack without mercy?... An act to destroy life is an act of terrorism with neither nationality nor religion.

Commentary by Ahmad al-Rabi'i - London Al-Sharq al-Awsat

What draws our attention is the fact that those who are supporting the Eta separatist movement rushed to conclude that the 'Arab opposition' was responsible for the terrorist act in Spain. This is a clear attempt to brand Arabs with terrorism.

Jordan's Al-Ra'y

It is illogical to accuse al-Qaeda before getting accurate information... The Spanish government was aware of this and moved fast to blame Eta before anyone else. Perhaps al-Qaeda was only used to deceive Spanish and world public opinion.

Saudi Arabia Al-Riyadh

It is very regrettable that some analysts and leaders rushed to link this terrorist act with so-called "Muslim terrorists" without verifying the truth of this insane statement [claim of responsibility by Abu-Hafs al-Masri brigades]... This insane statement has soiled the name of Islam... Islam is innocent of these bombings.

Jordan's Al-Dustur

A mass demonstration was staged in the streets of Madrid in protest against these attacks. However, it reflected the resentment against the Spanish government's policy in supporting the war on Iraq... It is hoped that the Madrid bombings will open the eyes of the coalition, led by the US... so that it can look into its mistakes and find a way to rectify them.

London Al-Quds Al-Arabi

Arabs and Muslims cannot commit such an act. We therefore condemn the act and hope that the Spanish government will be able to find out the truth.

London Al-Arab al-Alamiyah

Terrorist acts everywhere, the latest being two days ago in Spain, prove that containment, not confrontation, will stop bloodshed in this world... the crazy policies being applied in many places worldwide bring more losses, destruction and disaster.

Saudi Arabia Ukaz

The brutal crime in Madrid two days ago confirms that terrorism is still unstoppable in cities everywhere... there are signs that this phenomenon, which has shed blood since the beginning of the third millennium, cannot be fully controlled in the future.

UAE's Al-Ittihad

Whether the bombings were carried out by Eta or al-Qaeda, the reality is that terrorism today is a deadly threat to all human beings... What is needed is prompt action by the UN to set up an international conference to combat terrorism, as well as drafting clauses for an international and comprehensive agreement to combat it.

Egypt's Al-Ahram
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:15 pm
hobitbob wrote:
No, many of us are still interested, I'v been following the results in BBC and the German and French newspapers, since I don't read spanish without a good dictionary. Sad

I certainly wasn't referring to you :wink:
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:18 pm
There has been little new information, so I think most people are just watching and waiting.

Personally I think it is an al Qaeda act. But as someone pointed out on another thread it may be that they are linking up with like minded local talent.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:20 pm

OK thanks Hobit, I didnt see those.

Dunno how to close a thread, but I changed the title as you can see - no need to duplicate the discussion.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:29 pm
It's a shame that we Americans only notice when it happens to us.

This somnambulent selfishness is inevitably going to catch us unaware again, I fear.

Somewhere in the depths of a US/UN/Iraq thread is a poll of the Spanish people indicating that some extraordinary majority of them -- I want to say 90%, but will be willing to be corrected upon verification -- were against the unprovoked invasion of Iraq.

Many millions of Spaniards marched in protest then, as they do so in mourning now.

Of course Bush will claim in coming political advertisements that we (meaning of course US) are all safer now with Saddam in a brig.

I don't think even a majority of Americans buy that any more.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 05:32 pm
PDiddie wrote:
It's a shame that we Americans only notice when it happens to us.

This somnambulent selfishness is inevitably going to catch us unaware again, I fear.

11th September, 2001 ring a bell? Confused

Quote:
Somewhere in the depths of a US/UN/Iraq thread is a poll of the Spanish people indicating that some extraordinary majority of them -- I want to say 90%, but will be willing to be corrected upon verification -- were against the unprovoked invasion of Iraq.

Many millions of Spaniards marched in protest then, as they do so in mourning now.

Of course Bush will claim in coming political advertisements that we (meaning of course US) are all safer now with Saddam in a brig.

I don't think even a majority of Americans buy that any more.

Obviously you haven't read "Dennis" screed, repeated on gods knows how many threads! Wink
0 Replies