Want to Ruin Your Car? Fill 'er Up With E15.

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:23 pm
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/30/aaa-e15-gas-harm-cars/1735793/

Quote:
The AAA says the Environmental Protection Agency and gasoline retailers should halt the sale of E15, a new ethanol blend that could damage millions of vehicles and void car warranties.

AAA, which issued its warning Friday, says just 12 million of more than 240 million cars, trucks and SUVs now in use have manufacturers' approval for E15. Flex-fuel vehicles, 2012 and newer General Motors vehicles, 2013 Fords and 2001 and later model Porsches are the exceptions, according to AAA, the nation's largest motorist group, with 53.5 million members.

A few states have introduced E15 gasoline. I had never heard of it, and neither have many people.

Apparently, in the interest of the "environment," there is now a new gasoline that could potentially ruin a car's engine. Only 2012 cars and newer, as well as a handful of older cars can handle this new blend of gas. It is so serious that many car manufacturers will not honor damage done by this gas in their warranties.

To add insult to injury, cars will get much poorer mileage using this blend. I had noticed that my mileage dropped when 10% ethanol gas was introduced.

I think that this information needs to be gotten out to the most people possible. Right now the E15 is only sold in a few states, but I would bet that you will see it in your station in a short while, unless this is stopped.

What do you think? Have you even heard of E15?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,492 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Umang Kumar

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 08:59 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hello Friends,

The EPA has contended that cars manufactured from 2001 and on can handle E15, the new blend of gasoline made up of 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent petroleum. But AAA warned that only about 12 million of the 240 million cars on the road today have actual approval from the manufacturers to use the fuel.
AAA recently conducted a survey and found that 95 percent of those polled had not heard of the new blend of fuel. The organization found this worrisome due to the fact that many manufacturer warranties do not cover wear and tear from the higher ethanol fuel blend. Using the fuel blend could lead to engine wear and failure, fuel-system damage and false "check engine" lights when used over a sustained period of time, according to AAA.
"It is clear that millions of Americans are unfamiliar with E15, which means there is a strong possibility that many motorists may improperly fill up using this gasoline and damage their vehicle. Bringing E15 to the market without adequate safeguards does not responsibly meet the needs of consumers," AAA President and CEO Robert Darbelnet told USA Today.

Thanks and Regards,
Umang Kumar
0 Replies