Do less intelligent people have less refined emotions?

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:15 pm
Do less intelligent people have less refined emotions? And do they find it more difficult to control their emotions?

A deliberately polemical topic, of course.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:18 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'd say no and no, but I'd want a better understanding of how you define intelligence (and then emotion) to be sure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:18 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'm going to say no, but it might depend on what you mean by "refined".
ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:19 pm
@roger,
hahahahahaha

same answer, but we want different things defined

Roger, marry me!
roger

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
My cats have a thing about dogs. Thanks anyway.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 03:39 pm
Well okay, let's say that more refined = a more subtle/nuanced/complex understanding of a situation and the emotions felt in relation to this situation.
If anyone else wants to define emotion I'd be grateful because I just realised I can't at all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:40 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
both Einstein and Beethoven were famous for their tempers. Norman Schwartzkopf was called "Stormin Norman" just because of his violent temper. General GH PAtton too, was always in trouble because of his outbursts.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:04 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'd say absolutely not. Since the discovery of the new class of intelligence in the 1990's known as emotional intelligence where the person might not necessarily be book smart or academically trained yet they intuitively understand their own as well as others' emotional states and how to manipulate or improve the lives of others through emotional strategies.

Bill Clinton was seen as someone who has a high degree of emotional intelligence.

As for your generalized statement asking about less intelligent people having a lesser degree of self control? Maybe persons without a formal education might be disadvantaged in terms of missing out on the different ways of self manipulating and/or understanding ones own emotional state and motivations. That's not saying they're not capable of self analysis or correction but that they aren't aware of the possibilities as someone who had a chance to study sociology, psychology, structured spiritual disciplines, etc....
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:06 am
Perhaps it comes down to "intelligent" people having the vocabulary to express their emotional state.

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 12:49 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

Do less intelligent people have less refined emotions? And do they find it more difficult to control their emotions?

I think you have to distinguish between a person's base level of intelligence and their ability to function intelligently in the moment. Someone can have a high IQ but still fail to process information intelligently if they allow emotions to overwhelm their thoughts. So it's not necessarily that emotional people aren't as smart. It may simply be they are less able to draw on their reserve of smarts at tense times when emotion blinds them.
Mame

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 05:50 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

A deliberately polemical topic, of course.

Okay, from your wording, I'm guessing you're wondering if an ignorant, illiterate person can possibly have refined emotions, and whether educated people have more refined emotions.

Not sure what you mean by 'refined emotions'. Do you mean more refined behaviour (as in "oh dear!" instead of "****!"? Or less emotion showing to the world, aka the stiff upper lip? Or what, exactly?

As far as who finds it more difficult to control their emotions, I think that's largely a matter of upbringing and expectations.

Is this an essay topic, by any chance?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 06:01 pm
@Kolyo,
also, sometimes very brilliant people "Go with their gut" rather than analyze the data. This seems to be a basis for the Meyers Briggs personality categories
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 08:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
As for your generalized statement asking about less intelligent people having a lesser degree of self control? Maybe persons without a formal education might be disadvantaged in terms of missing out on the different ways of self manipulating and/or understanding ones own emotional state and motivations. That's not saying they're not capable of self analysis or correction but that they aren't aware of the possibilities as someone who had a chance to study sociology, psychology, structured spiritual disciplines, etc....

---------------

Has it not struck you as odd, that the argument for the boy who was emotionally adept at comprehending flow of general calm, who later.. For example goes to war or suffers some other life changing experience, might not wish to use your theories on what constitutes intelligence, in order to manipulate himself and others?.

What strikes me drastically about this world is that plain truth and no attempt to emotionally coerce people is met with negativity, you may have won between you, with your gentle lies of killing truth softly, but I assure you that does not make you smarter, or right.

They use that soldier to carve up the world into chunks, what you will ignore and spite, results in where to push the envelope of your own ignorance's, placing a box of your request around you, sure you asked for calm.. You even asked for diversity midst explanations.. But did you really ask for a blinker?.

Emotion is clearly a lockout of all else, even in it's control, across the variances of billions, intellectually.
To lockout and ignore one attitude calmly, still leaves the energy state you are in with a different view to the onus. However you might hide it.

Millions of the billions, if not billions, are ready to smite when given the 'immunity' to do so in scientific tests, in closed situations, the species is so flawed, they have proven it.

All that changes in the view upon such an aforementioned onus, is diverse tactic.

OP:
Refined emotions?
More malleable, do you mean?
Or more diverse?

Or more focused to purity in selected developed sections, less diverse than possible by letting emotion run free across the entire range of energy alterations, RE: accepting avenues of least resistance which make for complex and confusing days, if not halted in numerically lesser quantities of range in spectrum slices?
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2012 08:46 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Here is a little truth for you.

If a Zen Buddhist trains himself to find balance and strength through peace and trials of pain.

That which was used as the sole orchestrator of his pain testing, when presented in the world as a stick which pokes through bars and is ignored as such by the pokers, will be emotionally attacked in justifiable ways to all who know him, primarily because it is not right and it eventually hits the young, not requesting, also worse is the response if he was trained but did not request it, but unjustifiably to the world. In spite of his tolerance ; Thus despite it.

For example, many see my avatar and will thumb me down, merely because of it, despite that may very well be my sailor days in 1972.

What they wish me to say is:
Emotion is the spectrum of light and energy in which we find humanity.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 03:40 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I've always found the definition of 'intelligent' problematic. You often get professors who don't have social skills, or lack common sense in particular areas of life...

I'm sure there is a plethora of people far less intelligent than Einstein who were far more emotionally superior to him.

Yet there are those that have mental impairments whose emotions are 'wild / immature'

Women are generally more emotionally sensitive than men...yet women find it more difficult to control their emotions....where in that mix is intelligence?

Hardness/Coldness is not the same as control

Is refinement preferable, or strength of emotion? It seems that passion wins out over subtle emotions rather frequently.

nothingtodo

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 03:50 am
@vikorr,
Might you allow me the moment to amend the previous:

Quote:
Yet there are those that have mental impairments whose emotions are 'wild / immature'
/Quote

Mental impairment is not the conclusion to be drawn from hostile reactionary actions, when previous life's affairs and pondering have resulted in attitudal 'zealousness'.

If presenting a coin from a foreign land to your Queen that she may learn, take heed dear Lord, for both sides must be explained at that time.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 05:40 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
LOL, been away for years, still I find TPQ asking silly questions non stop.

She's too lazy to read up on basic stuff, and are satisfyed with potential halfbaked unscientific answers.

The only thing she really wants in attention and entertainment.
timur

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 06:02 am
@HexHammer,
Well, you have been away for years and none of those years has improved your own refinement...
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:51 pm
I post this two years ago... and my first comment on it in the title was that it was worded deliberately to spark debate...
Give me a cogent paper to assess and I will be happy with your 'scientific' answers!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:53 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:
and are satisfyed with potential halfbaked unscientific answers..

Incorrect grammar AND spelling. Keep up, genius.