Proof of the pudding is in the eating

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:49 am
I realized this week that I've spent my life not making puddings much. When I used to, I used packaged pudding mix, the variation being whether the packages were 'instant' or not.

I was looking at some website about easy chocolate desserts and came across a recipe for pudding; tried it; liked it a lot.

http://www.oprah.com/food/Warm-Chocolate-Pudding

Here it is:
Servings: Makes 4 servings
Ingredients
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups low-fat or non-fat milk
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
In a medium, heavy-bottomed sauce pan, stir together sugar, cocoa powder and cornstarch. Turn heat to medium high. Gradually add milk and stir constantly until pudding begins to boil and thicken, about five minutes.

Reduce heat to medium low, add bittersweet chocolate and continue heating five minutes more until pudding is completely thickened. Remove from heat, let cool five minutes.

Add vanilla and pour into pudding cups. Eat immediately or refrigerate.

From the book Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen

So, the other day I decided to make it again, this time doubling the recipe.
Plus, for the milk, I used two cups of half and half mixed with two cups of already brewed coffee.
Besides the vanilla, I added some almond flavoring.
Note - both times I didn't add the bittersweet chocolate, since I didn't have any around.

Wow, is that good, and still very easy.

So, I've been looking up pudding recipes.

Soon I'll try butterscotch.............
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/02/a-butterscotch/

and soon I'll be getting chubby again.

How about you? Any favorite puddings or their cousins, custards?

I don't know a thing about christmas puddings. I'd read a recipe at some point, perhaps for a toffee pudding, and at the time it sounded too complicated, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,413 • Replies: 10
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:34 am
@ossobuco,
I'm not much of a creamy dessert eater but both Mo and Mr. B love them.

Your coffee version sounds really good. I'm going to read along for inspiration!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:33 am
@ossobuco,
I haven’t made any types of pudding yet but I wouldn’t mind giving it a try and that one sounds good.

I have experimented with some desserts, like the unside down pineaple cake and a homemade cheese cake, both came out delicious!
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Your recipe sounds good , like your coffee variation. I actually have all the ingredients on hand, except the cornstarch, used instead of powder, is in a bathroom . Need to get a kitchen container. The first thing we ever made in 7th grade cooking class was chocolate pudding. It seemed wasted effort. I loved My-t-fine chocolate pudding with almonds, not the instant. Haven't seen that brand in years. Think I'll try your recipe and throw in some crushed almonds.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 05:06 pm
@nextone,
I think the last time before all this that I made real pudding was in girl scout cooking class, and I would have been twelve.

Anyone else follow David Liebovitz's blog? I enjoy his baking/fooling around with recipes.

Meantime, I think my cornstarch box is at least eight years old. It still worked.. but I think it's time for a new one.
nextone

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Does your cornstarch box have a picture of an indian maid ? Now it comes in a squat plastic cannister. That's progress for you.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 07:06 pm
@nextone,
There is an indian maid somewhat exposed to my left of the company name, and some ranch type guy to my right; both seem to be standing in head high cornstalks. My container is yellow and has a recloseable lid.
0 Replies

hackleeripuseria

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 07:47 pm
@ossobuco,
thats odd, someone milked my dog last night! and I can't get the viscosity I desire at the store anymore, Imagine my chagrin
hackleeripuseria

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 08:32 pm
@hackleeripuseria,
it took me about fifteen seconds to come up with that post, the only inconvenience involved registering which took one or two..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2020 01:17 pm
@ossobuco,
0 Replies

mirSa1

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2021 03:49 am
@ossobuco,
I'll take a note.
0 Replies