Our unemployment is being appealed

llz

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:24 pm
My husband lost his job On Oct. 2, 2012 and we applied for unemployment and have received 2 checks. We got a letter from the state the other day telling us his employer is appoealing.

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:27 pm
@llz,
Your state (and country) would be extremely helpful. Laws differ.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:33 pm
@llz,
You need to consult an employment attorney and not a random internet forum.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:46 pm
@llz,
As others have said, an employment lawyer can be very helpful at times like this.

Laws do vary from state to state, but there is one point that I believe is consistant throughout the US. If you ignore your notification, or don't respond as required within the required time, you have LOST. Do not give the former employer a default judgement.
JPB

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 06:09 am
@roger,
True.

The circumstances of the job and the loss of the job will matter a great deal. I don't know how it's done in your state, Liz, but here the UE office sets up a phone interview with both parties. The employee is allowed to state his conditions of employment (number of hours worked per week, duration of employment, etc. If his answers meet the criteria of eligibility for your state then the appeal will be denied. Did he have multiple jobs? Is he otherwise employed? Is his employer claiming he was dismissed with cause? All of these will come into play.

If your husband lost a full time job with an employer that he'd worked for for longer than a few weeks then chances are he'll be successful in getting his claim. Any employer can file an appeal to a UE claim. It doesn't mean he'll be successful.
0 Replies

shopnoguro

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2013 11:39 pm
@llz,
It is better for you to an attorney to get the proper suggestion.
0 Replies