Kerry of Vietnam Nominated for Secretary of State

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:51 am
Kerry's nomination will sail through the Senate.

It could be worse.

Susan Rice in the seat would likely have politicized a Cabinet position like no one since...well, Eric Holder.

Kerry The Arrogant clearly doesn't worship at the altar of Obama and I doubt he will agree with the president's next claim that he knows more about international affairs than his SoS, when he holds the position.

He'll be as good a soldier as he can be, but for Kerry, it's all about Kerry. (Which is not all that unusal for DC politicians and Senators in particular).

I just don't understand why Obama has picked him.

Easy confirmation?

It's not like this guy actually has a history of success on the international stage.

Maybe Obama figures he'll be satisfied being fetted by potentates around the world and will accept being a low #2 on US foreign policy.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Should be fun.

roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Fun or not, at least interesting.

On the subject, I did have high hopes for Hillary. Ever since, I had the feeling she was being held back so as not to be a strong candidate for president in 2012.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I just don't understand why Obama has picked him.

Easy confirmation?

in spite of few success and little interest in the matter Obama fancies himself to be quite an expert on international affairs. Kerry will do what he is told and will stay out of trouble, which is all that is required, as obama does not need any help in deciding what to do.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:19 am
@roger,
She was held back because Obama is the font of everything in this administration. He'll never play second fiddle to a Cabinet member; on anything.

That is until there is responsibility to take for screw ups.

He takes things personally and he was never going to allow Hillary to shine in the role. There was a political reason to naming her to the job, but it didn't require letting her do it as she might like.

Besides, why should we have thought she would have done it well?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Disagree.

I don't think you have properly gauged the Kerry ego.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Disagree.

I don't think you have properly gauged the Kerry ego.

america aint what it used to be sure, but our ambassadors still get their ego stroked expertly by the majority of world leaders. Kerry will be fulfilled.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:36 am
@hawkeye10,
We'll see.

That's why it will be fun.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
FOR ALL
He will do as he is told just like most of the other sec of states have done or he will be replaced. He is subservient to the President.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:24 pm
@roger,
I have disagreed with Hillary sometimes, and seen her as a user opportunist sometimes, but not until she hoped someone would kill Ghaddafi outright did I dismiss her. A trial would be too much trouble? Primitive response for a secretary of state of the U.S. He died bad, both ways.
Maybe it is about money, the costs of an actual trial.

I have similar thoughts re bin Ladin but am less sure what I think on that.

I'll have to settle in to read all your negs on liberals and Kerry and liberals and liberals.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I have similar thoughts re bin Ladin but am less sure what I think on that.

bin Laden was a clear and direct input from the President, that in finality was his choice to assassinate, and then dump the body in the water. Hillary stating a similar end for Gaddafi isn't that far from how the current administration thinks and when given the chance, operates. She goofed up in stating it out loud.

With Kerry it will be follow the marching orders with the knowledge that if he balks or talks back he will be eliminated and swiftly replaced.

A bothersome part with Kerry is his inability to smile. Is that angry mug really what we want to send out there to interact with world leaders?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:47 pm
@Sturgis,
On the difference, I get that.
But I don't like the hope or contrivance (more likely) that someone, a tribal person or persons, kills our object, that whole type of thinking.

I know that sounds naive, but this was a head of state, however horrendously goofy.
I'm well aware this stuff goes on in some kind of infinite honeycomb.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Sigh,

I forgot to put

@ all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:50 pm
@Sturgis,
Generally speaking, presidents do not like to fire cabinet secretaries. I mean, they really don't like to. Not even lame duck presidents.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've no useful assessment of Kerry by me, except that you can consider the fast boat (whatever) stuff off my radar.
Consider me listening past that.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 02:59 pm
@roger,
Unless they publically give the President the finger.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 03:02 pm
@RABEL222,
That might do it. Or they may just find themselves making repeated goodwill visits to Tierra del Fuego and Kaffirstan.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 03:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

With Kerry it will be follow the marching orders with the knowledge that if he balks or talks back he will be eliminated and swiftly replaced.
I think that's a general truth applicable to them all.

Sturgis wrote:
A bothersome part with Kerry is his inability to smile. Is that angry mug really what we want to send out there to interact with world leaders?
Kerry smiles, but only inwardly ... for the one he loves above all ... .

It's not an angry mug at all ..... just a bit long in the jaw, and highly smug and self-absorbed.

This will be the last political act for both parties.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 03:54 pm
@georgeob1,
I'm not that far on Kerry yet.
Will report.
Alexgrid

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 12:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Hillary is good politician but as a whole I am not satisfied comparatively.The Obama himself is very brilliant with his work and really appreciable.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 02:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You have a lot of gall with this post Finn. Kerry was chosen by the Republicans.Obama only nominated Kerry because the Republicans begged him to (probably because they are lusting after Scott Brown).

It it even more cynical to complain about the fact there are no women or minorities on Obama's cabinet so far after squelching the Susan Rice choice. At least you aren't doing that (as some on your side are).

0 Replies