Wi-Fi/audio question

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:26 pm
I'm using my lap-top at the local public library right now, taking advantage of their free wi-fi hookup. A few minutes ago there was some sort of glitch in the library's circuitry and we all got knocked off the web. It happens here from time to time and is nothing to be concerned about; usually service is restored in minutes' time with no damage done. That's what happened today. About five to seven minutes later I was able to log on again.

However, here's what I consider the weird part. The whole time that I couldn't access Google or any other isp, my audio stream continued unabated. I was listening to the local NPR affiliate, Hawaii Public Radio-One, and the streaming broadcast never stopped even though I couldn't access anything visual.

How's that possible? Isn't the audio stream dependent on the same wi-fi as the rest of the service?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Lustig Andrei
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Clearly the wifi wasn't completely knocked out. I bet it was severely congested. You were lucky that the streaming audio is a low bandwidth eater and for whatever reason, the library servers kept it a priority for the remaining bandwidth.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser, as my friend Alice used to say.
0 Replies