Our son found some money $$$$

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:29 pm
Our son walked to the store this afternoon, and found a "great deal of money."

My wife and son went to the apartment building office where the money was found, and left our telephone number if somebody inquired about the money.

Here are some questions for all you good samaritans.
1. Should we give it to the local charity, or
2. Turn it into the police.

Or, are there other options?

Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Please send it my way. I'd be pleased to help and promise that I will donate to a local worthwhile charity. My address is forwarded to you in PM.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:37 pm
@Ragman,
You "jumped" on this one, didn't you? LOL

Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I try not to miss a golden oppurtunity. Us philanderers...err, I mean philanthropists are an alert bunch.

Seriously, I might ask the local police what the best course of action would be.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have read that the police will hold it for a period of time, then return it to you if nobody claims it. Don't really know that's the truth. Speaking of finding things, I found a nice cell phone on the Lowe's parking lot. I turned it in there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:57 pm
@Ragman,
Good idea. I thought about that, but as an ex-auditor, I find that temptation makes good people into "bad" people.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Amen to that.

Some people might place an ad in the local newspaper under Public Notice.

Of course, if someone replied I'd make the person describe the money including providing the serial numbers of the larger bills.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Turn it into the police. You don't want to find out the money is from a group of unsavory thugs who are upset that they lost their money and thusly have to go around looking where it went.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yea, I just back-tracked from my earlier post, and emailed the local police department on their policy on found money. They're supposed to get back to me within three days. We've already reported the found money to the apartment complex office.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, it's going to be a verry Merry Chri$tma$.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:24 pm
@Ragman,
I hope the rightful owner claims his/her money. They're not going to have a Merry Christmas if they end up losing that much money.
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And it also might be that it's stolen or ill-gotten goods..perhaps?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:57 pm
@Ragman,
No matter; that's not our problem. My responsibility is to try to get it back to the rightful owner.

I know how it feels to lose a lot of money (there's has been a time in my life when I didn't have much money, and I know how difficult it is to live from paycheck to paycheck), and don't want to be a party to someone else's suffering.

I also worked many years as an auditor, and I know the difference between right and wrong.
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 12:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
Wishing good luck with which ever way that turns out .
roger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 01:50 am
@Ragman,
I always figured that if I found, say, a million dollars and it belonged to some poor person like me, I would find a way to give it back. If it belonged to some rich sob, well, finders keepers; losers weepers.
Mame

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 09:06 am
@roger,
A few years ago I was behind a lady at an outside ATM. When she left, I went to do my banking and noticed she'd left the money there. I grabbed it and ran down the street to give it to her. She had disappeared so I went into the bank and gave it to the manager. They'd be able to get it back to her based on the time and withdrawal amount. According to the bank, that happens quite a lot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 09:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
The rightful owner might not be the person who lost (or tossed?) the money, if dealing, etc. is involved.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:00 am
@ossobuco,
Any nefarious reason for the money is not my concern. The bottom line is that the money does not belong to "us." If in the end, the police returns the money to us, I will donate it to Second Harvest Food Bank.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
Good idea.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 02:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I hope your son is rewarded for turning in the $$.