Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:29 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
RABEL222 wrote:
I think while I am not the smartest person on this site neither am I the dumbest.

I'm sure you think that, but you are unqualified to draw such conclusions.

In fact, you and CI are tied for one of those records.

I apologize. I was being as weaselly and dishonorable as Walter Hinteler.

When I slam you, I should have the courage to be forthright about it.

You and CI are the two stupidest posters on A2K.
oralloy

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
RABEL222 wrote:
I think while I am not the smartest person on this site neither am I the dumbest.

I'm sure you think that, but you are unqualified to draw such conclusions.

In fact, you and CI are tied for one of those records.

I apologize. I was being as weaselly and dishonorable as Walter Hinteler.

When I slam you, I should have the courage to be forthright about it.

And of course my correction and apology would then end up being hidden by the "new page" bug.....

Oh well, bump.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 06:03 am

Heads up! An official report is being issued this afternoon about this shooting incident.

What is being released is more of an executive summary of the report, rather than the full report itself, but it is expected to contain information that the public has not known previous to today.
BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 07:58 am
@oralloy,
I love you getting a vote down for just putting out the information that there is a report about to be release.

Love those types of fools.

PS I put one vote up, so unless there are more fools you should have a one on your votes total on your last post.
spendius

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:32 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

I would have placed an "of the" between "two" and "stupidest".
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 01:12 pm
Quote:
The biggest myth they claim to bust? The idea that mass murder in America is on the rise. Fox and DeLateur specifically challenge a recent Mother Jones project that claimed “a recent surge in incidents and fatalities” from mass shootings. The authors argue that Mother Jones arbitrarily limited its analysis to certain types of mass shootings—ones occurring in public places, committed by lone gunmen with no robbery motive or gang affiliation—and that by limiting the data set the magazine came away with skewed results. By expanding their analysis to include all mass shootings regardless of location or motive, Fox and DeLateur found that the rate of mass shootings has remained steady from 1976 to 2011, at about 20 incidents per year, and that “the facts clearly say that there has been no increase in mass shootings and certainly no epidemic.” I read the Mother Jones piece when it appeared, and I found it tragic and convincing. But Fox and DeLateur also sound convincing when they argue that “including mass shootings in all forms can only add to our understanding of extreme killing.” At the very least, Fox and DeLateur’s findings add nuance to a topic that is often oversimplified.

The authors also dispute the notion that shoot-‘em-up video games and other forms of violent entertainment somehow encourage unstable individuals to commit mass murder, noting that “the ability to document a direct causal link indicating that consuming violent entertainment leads to violent behavior has eluded social science researchers for years.” I’ve written about this very topic multiple times for Slate, usually in reference to the notion that Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza’s fondness for violent video games was causally connected to his real-life crimes. I find this argument unsatisfying, and so do Fox and DeLateur, who write that Lanza’s “gaming may be more a symptom of his personality and temperament than the cause.”

And, perhaps most dispiriting, the authors argue that pretty much every policy proposal intended to reduce mass shootings has been worthless. Increased funding for and access to mental-health treatment? A well-meaning idea, but likely ineffective in preventing mass murder, given that, “with their tendency to externalize blame and consider themselves as victims of mistreatment, mass murderers see the problem to reside in others, not themselves,” and thus would likely avoid all opportunities to receive psychiatric help. Would renewing the 1994 federal assault weapons ban do any good? Probably not: “a comparison of the incidence of mass shootings during the 10-year window when the assault weapon ban was in force against the time periods before implementation and after expiration shows that the legislation had virtually no effect, at least in terms of murder in an extreme form.”

What about implementing stricter security measures in schools and other public places? Actually, “most security measures serve only as a minor inconvenience for those who are determined to cause mayhem.” As an example, the authors cite a pair of Arkansas middle school students who pulled the fire alarm in their school and began shooting people as they came outside. What about expanding criminal background checks for firearms purchasers? “Most mass murderers do not have criminal records or a history of psychiatric hospitalization. They would not be disqualified from purchasing their weapons legally.”

What, then, can be done to stop mass shootings in America? Maybe nothing. “Eliminating the risk of mass murder would involve extreme steps that we are unable or unwilling to take—abolishing the Second Amendment, achieving full employment, restoring our sense of community, and rounding up anyone who looks or acts at all suspicious,” the authors conclude. “Mass murder just may be a price we must pay for living in a society where personal freedom is so highly valued.” Well. Merry Christmas, I guess

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/12/19/mass_shootings_in_america_northeastern_criminologists_james_alan_fox_monica.html

urban liberals are not going to want to hear this, and will ignore it, they think more government can solve every problem. in this case less freedom is the solution, and it is not worth it.

in other news support for more gun control laws is now back down to pre Newton levels.
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 01:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Interesting Hawkeye and mass murders peak in 1929 if I remember correctly the last study on mass murders I had seen and the overall murder rate is at a 50 years low now something you would never know by the news media.

Next the most children killed in a single school attack also happen in the 1920s not the 2000s in the US.

No guns at all then the killers would need to go to the internet to learn how to build bombs with match heads and low voltage light bulbs and dry cells and a metal container.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 02:03 pm
@BillRM,
http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/jwalker/2012_12/MassShootings.jpg?h=270&w=450

1980 population 226,545,805

2010 population 308,745,538

in my mind any mass murder change under 37% increase counts as a win
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 02:06 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I would have placed an "of the" between "two" and "stupidest".

That would also require deleting the "the" that is already there.

But that change would eliminate the absolutist meaning that I had intended.

However, OmSigDAVID speculated today in the Zimmerman thread that CI is suffering cognitive decline due to old age.

I am wondering now if I've been too hard on CI. The ravages of age are something that we all face if we are lucky enough to avoid an early death.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 04:22 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
However, OmSigDAVID speculated today in the Zimmerman thread
that CI is suffering cognitive decline due to old age.

I am wondering now if I've been too hard on CI.
The ravages of age are something that we all face if we are lucky enough to avoid an early death.
Yes; I was considering that.
I now look upon him as having
the functional equivalent of Tourette 's Syndrome;
i.e., that he cannot restrain himself.
His caustic denial that 87 out of 1OO is 87% was a tip off
(to say nothing of his allegation that 87% of whites kill other whites).

If he keeps traveling, he better have help.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 04:31 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I love you getting a vote down for just putting out the information
that there is a report about to be release.

Love those types of fools.
Some people just reflexively vote down supporters of personal liberty.

Its not as if Stalin & Hitler never had ANY support at all.
Some folks don 't like freedom.

( Thay are fast with their fingers, tho; gotta give them credit. )

David
0 Replies

billrandall

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 06:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
the attackers COULD do much more damage with bombs or poison, and get away to do it again, repeatedly. At least, when they use guns, they get CAUGHT.
hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 06:52 pm
@billrandall,
Yeah good point. Punishment is always preferable to prevention.

https://chaos-online.ru/public/style_emoticons/default/facepalm.gif
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 06:54 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Yeah good point. Punishment is always preferable to prevention.

https://chaos-online.ru/public/style_emoticons/default/facepalm.gif

WOW! You (billrandall) are one fucked in the head dick!!

It is way way way better to prevent bad then have bad happend and then punish bad.

The really sad thing is that a lot of Americans as just as sadistic as you are.
oralloy

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 08:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
WOW! You (billrandall) are one fucked in the head dick!!

It is way way way better to prevent bad then have bad happend and then punish bad.

The really sad thing is that a lot of Americans as just as sadistic as you are.

Is there some sort of means to detect ahead of time when someone is going to commit a crime so that we can prevent them from carrying it out?

Routine telepathic mind scans of all citizens?

Tarot cards?
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
My 2 cents is this nation's criminal justice system is greatly flawed. I've said it before. Criminals gets to walk on insanity pleads (temporary insanity?, what a joke!). Rapists let go in a few months of jail time, as long as they register (WTF?). Worst of all even after a death sentence is in effect, it takes decades to actually carry it out and may get changed while on death row.

In many nations when people gets arrested they are assumed guilty until proven innocent. That's a better approach. If someone gets arrested for a serious crime, there are already mounting evidence. So why assume innocent? If you are innocent, then you should be able to prove it. So many murders and rapists get away with it due to technicalities that some how a piece of evidence is inadmissible. If assumed guilty let's see if they'd pull the same "inadmissible" argument.

At least in this type of things, we should copy what China / Singapore does. If you kill someone, it's automatic death penalty. Execution takes place the same day, military style with a firing squad. Your dead body is cremated the same day. It saves money so we don't have to feed those criminals with our tax money. Rapists, armed robberies and illegal possession of firearms or drugs are likely to get death penalties as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 01:08 pm
@Angelgz2,
Angelgz2 wrote:

My 2 cents is this nation's criminal justice system is greatly flawed. I've said it before. Criminals gets to walk on insanity pleads (temporary insanity?, what a joke!).

Your lack of understanding facts is pretty sorry.
Quote:
A: Contrary to popular belief, the use of the “insanity defense”
(i.e., entering a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity or NGRI)
is extremely rare, and usually unsuccessful. In practice, far less
than one percent of all defendants use the insanity defense, and
of those only a fraction are found NGRI. In most cases, successful use of the insanity defense happens when both the prosecution and defense agree on the appropriateness of the plea.

https://csgjusticecenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/advocacy_handbook_all.pdf

Quote:
At least in this type of things, we should copy what China / Singapore does. If you kill someone, it's automatic death penalty. Execution takes place the same day, military style with a firing squad.

Because NO ONE has ever been falsely accused and convicted of a crime EVER? Yep. Nothing could go wrong by emulating authoritarian dictatorships. The Death Penalty is not a legitimate deterrent. Publically executing innocent people is even worse.

Finally? The entire post is entirely irrelevant to the thread at hand.
Angelgz2

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 06:48 am
@tsarstepan,
Watch OJ Simpson's trial and that's epic fail for you. YOU want rapists and murders walking in your neighborhood that's your choice. Good luck with that. Criminals get some pro-criminal justice left wing morons on the jury who sympathizes with the guy and there you go, a not guilty verdict as the case of Casey Anthony, another epic fail. What lack of understanding? So what it's rare, does mean it doesn't exist. Something like this simply shouldn't exist because you lost it and killed a whole bunch of people and all of a sudden you are sane again? WTF again?

Of course it has to do with this post. A legal system that punishes the criminals to the most severe extent acts as a deterrent to crimes. You think take away legal ownership of guns will solve the problem? What about illegal firearms trafficking or use other method to accomplish the same crime? Bottom line is you scare someone enough that something they do will result in severe punishment, they'd think twice about doing it. That will not entirely solve the problem, but will lessen it. That is, you'll have less illegal firearms trafficking, drugs and all the crap out there.

Innocent people die all the time mate. Execute 1000 criminals and you may falsely execute one guy who may somehow be innocent and just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's sad, I give that to you, but what about the criminals YOU WANNA put on the street who goes on and kill / rapes 10 more innocent people -- that's NOT WORSE? Yeah, easy for you to defend them because YOU are not the victim. It's rather pure hypocrisy.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 07:01 am
@Angelgz2,
"It's sad, I give you that"

It's not sad, it's a travesty.
0 Replies