Ravi Shankar, rest in peace.

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 08:40 am
Ravi Shankar: Sitar virtuoso and father of the rock benefit concert
Ravi Shankar: George Harrison called him "the godfather of world music." Ravi Shankar helped millions of classical, jazz and rock lovers discover the centuries-old traditions of Indian music.

Quote:
Shankar died Tuesday at age 92. A statement on his website said he died in San Diego, near his Southern California home with his wife and a daughter by his side.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Latest-News-Wires/2012/1212/Ravi-Shankar-Sitar-virtuoso-and-father-of-the-rock-benefit-concert

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 08:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, rest in peace, Ravi.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 09:42 am
@tsarstepan,
Sometimes his music just went on and on like Irish folk songs. I lovedit when these guys (Like Shankar and Bhatt) would collaborate with some of our writers like the Beatles and Ry Cooder to have the SItar and the drums really pepper up a tune

I loved
"A meeting at the River" with Cooder and Bhatt, I believe that many of the pieces were composed with input from Shankar

His daughter, Nora Jones, is a really good jazz singer and pianist.

It was a great ride Dr Shankar
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
@farmerman,
I never knew he fathered Norah Jones. What a great musical family....
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 09:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Ya gotta get through the damn Lacoste commercial and then theres a ditty with the sisters Shankar (Anousht and Norah)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_UKBylLbE
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 09:56 am
@farmerman,
That was jaw-droppingly stunning Farmerman. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Another giant bites the dust.
Rest in peace, Ravi.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 03:41 pm
John, George and Ravi together again...that's going to be quite a reunion.
0 Replies

shogg0th

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 05:23 pm
Ravi and Anoushka were the reason I learned the sitar.. rest in peace..
0 Replies

Hulk

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 05:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
He was to the sitar what Jimmy Hendrix or Les Paul was to the electric guitar. The man put the Indian culture on the map probably more than any other artist, and also aligned it with the breakthrough Western trends of the 60's, giving it mass worldwide appeal.
RIP Ravi Shankar.
0 Replies

rockpatel

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 06:30 am
Ravi Shankar was just one of those masters from Indian ..... and am always going to think of him as the greatest sitarist to ever live. RIP.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ravi Shankar, rest in peace.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:09:44