How would you fix the Lakers?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 11:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Medina's report suggests that Howard is considering the Lakers, Mavericks, Rockets, Hawks and Warriors as potential landing spots and that he's looking for "the best chance to win championships" with the team with the "best system around him.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/23/4358676/dwight-howard-rumors-lakers-mike-dantoni

that rules out the Lakers. BYE BYE....
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 02:33 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Medina's report suggests that Howard is considering the Lakers, Mavericks, Rockets, Hawks and Warriors as potential landing spots and that he's looking for "the best chance to win championships" with the team with the "best system around him.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/23/4358676/dwight-howard-rumors-lakers-mike-dantoni

that rules out the Lakers. BYE BYE....

and Howard takes the hike to Houston....dont those billboards look pathetic now

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dwight-howard-lakers-billboard.jpg

this club is now a historic train wreck.
Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 06:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Speaking of history, history says that the Lakers are one of the winningest franchises not only in NBA but in all of sports history. This is coming from a lifelong Celts fan.

I predict that they'll make the playoffs. Watch how they rebound (no pun intended). Somehow they'll add a key player and it'll balance out. However I can't wait 'til Kobe and the Lakers meet the Rockets in regular and playoff games. Sparks will fly.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 07:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
dont those billboards look pathetic now
they must've known ahead of time he wasn't staying and hastily took 'em down on wednesday...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:50 am
Quote:
The Lakers announced on Monday that they had signed a two-year contract extension with the star who was scheduled to be a free agent this summer. According to a person with knowledge of the deal, Bryant will be paid a combined $48.5 million for the two seasons in his fully guaranteed deal and, as such, will remain the highest paid player in the NBA. Bryant will be paid $23.5 million next season and $25 million in the 2014-15 campaign

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2013/11/25/kobe-byrant-los-angeles-lakers-two-year-contract-extension/3698463/

this has to end the debate. the only way to fix the Lakers is to change the management, because what they have now is completely incompetent to run the organization.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 09:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Kobe is back, will it help or hurt?

Quote:
The challenge now, D'Antoni said, is convincing players such as Nick Young, Wesley Johnson and Shawne Williams not to become the highest-paid Kobe fans on the planet when he's back.

"They've never played with Kobe, so a lot of times there's a lot of standing around and watching (of him)," D'Antoni said. "And you don't understand — we've been playing a certain way, so we're going to have to guard against that

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2013/12/06/kobe-bryant-return-comeback-achilles-tendon-injury-los-angeles/3897627/

ya, too much love of Kobe has not tended to be a problem. a bigger problem is players being pissed off with him for his "my way or the highway" drill,
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 05:27 am
@hawkeye10,

don't see how it could possibly hurt a 10-9 team to add one of the best scorers in NBA history.

it may take a few games for him to get a feel for his new teammates, and vice-versa...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 10:29 pm

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1017034_638663272847031_535631704_n.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 11:19 pm
@Region Philbis,
that was ugly. Now we know how the lakers can be worse with Kobe playing that they were without him. This seals it for me, Jeanie should be running this team, you dont extend Kobe's contract before he steps on the floor after a potentially career ending injury unless you are sure that he will be ok. Kobe was most certainly not OK.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 01:12 am
@hawkeye10,
The Lakers scored 53 points with Bryant off the court as opposed to 41 with him on the court.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:34 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Lakers lose Kobe Bryant again

Kobe Bryant is expected to miss six weeks with a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee,
the Los Angeles Lakers announced Thursday.

Bryant suffered the injury Tuesday night during the visiting Lakers' 96-92 victory over the Memphis
Grizzlies. The Lakers said Thursday that an MRI showed the fracture.

"All I can do is do the work. And do everything I can to be back at the highest level," Bryant told ESPN.

Bryant will not require any surgical procedures on the knee, according to a source. It's just a matter of
letting the bone heal.

The injury is an undeniable blow to the Lakers, who in late November signed Bryant to a two-year,
$48.5 million contract extension before the 35-year-old had made it back onto the court from a torn
Achilles tendon he suffered in April.

"That's too bad," coach Mike D'Antoni said at the team's practice Thursday. "You hate it for Kobe. He
worked so hard to get back. But he'll be back. He'll be back in six weeks, and we'll deal with it and
weather the storm until he gets back."

The injury news for the Lakers didn't get any better regarding Steve Nash.

The team also announced Thursday that the veteran point guard -- limited to just six games this
season -- will miss an additional four weeks because of nerve root irritation.
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 02:59 pm
Quote:
Lakers: Kobe injury not healed

The Los Angeles Lakers have ruled Kobe Bryant out for the remainder of the season after a re-examination
of the veteran guard's injured knee showed it still hadn't healed, the team announced Wednesday.

Bryant has been sidelined since Dec. 17 with a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee. He also
missed the Lakers' first 19 games while recovering from a torn Achilles in his left leg suffered last season.

"Obviously this has been a frustrating and disappointing season, but I appreciate all the support I've received
from the Lakers and the fans and look forward to being back and ready for the start of training camp," Bryant
said in a statement released by the team.

Bryant addressed the media later Wednesday and said he has high expectations for when he returns.

"I don't want to say I'll be back at the top of my game, because everybody is going to think I'm crazy and an old
player not letting go, that sort of thing," Bryant said. "But that's what it's going to be."
(espn)
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 07:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
So he makes $30 million this year for a few games work.

The front office now looks really stupid for agreeing to give him another $50 million for the next two years. If I were a good player I would not even consider signing on to an organization that is this cosmically inept.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 03:53 am
@hawkeye10,
lakers in the bottom 10% of the league? Ya, that sounds right.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 11:29 am
Quote:
Kupchak: Kobe Bryant 'indicated to me that this is it'

Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said star guard Kobe Bryant has told
the GM that the 2015-16 season will be Bryant's last with the Lakers.

"He has indicated to me that this is it," Kupchak said Thursday in a radio appearance with
SiriusXM NBA Radio.

Bryant is scheduled to make a league-high $25 million in his final contract season -- his 20th --
with the Lakers. But there's speculation that Bryant could play beyond next season, and
Bryant said he hasn't ruled out that possibility.

"I think first and foremost, he's on the last year of a deal," Kupchak told SiriusXM NBA Radio.
"There have been no discussions about anything going forward. I don't think there will be."

Bryant will be 37 years old when next season begins, and his past three seasons have ended
early because of injury. He played only 35 games last season before suffering a season-ending
shoulder injury.

"A year from now, if there's something different to discuss, then it will be discussed then,"
Kupchak said of Bryant potentially playing beyond next season. "I talk to him from time to
time ... and he is recovering. He's running. He's getting movement and strength in the
shoulder. We expect a full recovery, but yeah, he's much closer to the end than to the
beginning."
(espn)
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 02:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
I was reading a few weeks ago someone who claims to have talked to a bunch of the guys who said no to the Lakers, asking what was the reason. Kobe usually gets the majority of the blame, they dont want to deal with him and the way that he dominates the organization with management's consent is the theory. The actual reason (it is claimed) that these guys said no was that they dont believe in ownership/management.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 06:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Kobe Bryant says he will retire at end of season

http://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-says-retire-end-2015-16-season-000206946--spt.html

Now if we just get Jeanie Buss running the show we might get a decent rebuild of this team. Watching what Phil is doing in NY is almost a crying moment, the lakers could have had him, Phil wanted to fix the Lakers. For those not paying attention the lakers have won 2 games, only the 76'ers have less. NY is playing almost 500 ball, and they were not supposed to have the talent to do anything this year, it was next year that the genius of Phil was supposed to hit, after he finally had some money to spend.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 06:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The highest-paid player in the National Basketball Association is currently mired in last place among all active players in both field goal percentage (.305) and 3-point field goal percentage (.202). The Los Angeles Lakers are paying Kobe Bryant $25 million to air-ball shots, with impunity, that he once swished with either hand.

Viral vultures gleefully post vines of Bryant’s precipitous decline. NBA fans will pay double and triple face value of tickets for the privilege of saying that they saw the equivalent of Seattle Slew running Tuesday’s fourth race at Santa Anita at the age of 12. Where for more than a decade Bryant, the greatest backcourt player since Michael Jordan, chased a championship trophy, he is now fleeing personal atrophy—but he has already been caught.

On November 29, Bryant, via The Players’ Tribune website, announced he would retire at the end of this season. The statement, titled “Dear Basketball,” was a requiem that was credited to Bryant but read as if it had an assist from the ghost of Robert Louis Stevenson. “ My heart can take the pounding,” Bryant (read: a producer at the site) wrote. “My mind can handle the grind. But my body knows it’s time to say goodbye.”

Try Newsweek for only $1.25 per week

A question for one of the NBA’s top 10 players of all time and a man who was known for never mincing words: Why will it take you so long to say so long?

Bryant should exit now. The 17-time All-Star should have quit before November 30, when he shot four for 20, including an air ball on the potential game-tying 3-pointer, in a 107-103 home loss to the Indiana Pacers. The Black Mamba, as he is also known, should definitely have slithered away before November 24, when he shot one for 14 (tying the worst game of his 19-year career) in a 34-point loss to the Golden State Warriors.

Bryant has as much business suiting up for the Lakers as the titular character in Fletch once did. But at least those were dream sequences. These Lakers games are nightmares. “There’s so much beauty in the pain of this thing,” Bryant said after the November 30 loss. Beauty? This is like watching a bloated Elvis Presley playing the Las Vegas Hilton in 1975.

The King looked obese and sloppy in his declining years. Bryant, at 37, still cuts a preternaturally youthful, alpha-alien figure. Having shaved his head midcareer (like another 6-foot-6 first-ballot Hall of Famer), Bryant still physically resembles the aught-era Laker antihero we all loved or loved to loathe. The proof of his decline is not in the photos but on the stat sheet.

Like Elvis, Bryant has always been a solo act. He is the one player since M.J. who is as gifted and relentlessly competitive as M.J., but he never aspired to be like Mike in terms of elevating his teammates. Bryant has always been a solitary creature. A Charles Lindbergh of hoops.

You may be too young to recall Bryant’s first All-Star game, in 1998, when he shooed away Karl Malone as the power forward moved to set a pick for him (something the Mailman was the best in history at doing). Or the toxic bio-dome in which the Lakers’ won a trio of championships at the turn of the millennium co-starring Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal. Tinsel Town was not big enough for the two of them, and so Shaq (another first-ballot Hall of Fame lock), six years older, was exiled.

No longer having to share the marquee, Bryant let his petulance sometimes overshadow his virtuosity. During a 2006 playoff series against the Phoenix Suns, the media chided Mamba for taking too many shots (35 in Game 6 alone, but then again this was a squad on which Smush Parker was a starter). As a retort to his critics—one of whom may have been his coach, Phil Jackson—Bryant, in the second half of the decisive Game 7, did not attempt a shot. He never even drifted below the free throw line extended on offense. The Lakers lost by 31.

Every paean to Bryant that you have or will read will note the countless hours he spent in the gym by himself honing his game. Those same stories may or may not also mention that he has for years been estranged from his parents (his father, Joe, played for the Philadelphia 76ers before playing abroad). Bryant is, and always has been, a loner. Even when he steps onto the court with four other men dressed uniformly in uniforms.

The Lakers have long understood, being proximal to Hollywood, that the audience craves a leading man. Bryant has been that figure for the Staples Center faithful ever since O’Neal departed. And that is why, even as the roster aged and Bryant’s talent began to wane, the team awarded him a two-year, $48.5 million contract in 2013. It was a thank-you, sure, but it was also tacit acknowledgement that the audience demanded its star more than it did a good picture. Dwight Howard, the league’s top center at the time, understood that too, which is why he fled the Lakers after only one season in 2013. (Last week, Howard was asked if he learned anything from Bryant. He smiled, paused and then said, “Next question.”)

And so we have arrived at the Kobe desert. The Lakers (2-14) are in last place in the Western Conference with a nucleus of young talent, including rookie guard D’Angelo Russell, who was selected No. 2 overall last summer. Every minute Bryant spends on the floor is a minute one of the young players does not. Every shot he takes is one less that they do. And yet, last week, Los Angeles coach Byron Scott went all Taylor Swift on the Bryant conundrum, saying, “I would never, never, never [bench Bryant for poor play].” Why not? Isn’t that in his job description?

Bryant has always been both relentless and merciless on the court, to teammate and foe alike. But at least he was always brutally honest. As long as he was the best player on the court and the Lakers were winning, who dared challenge him?

The Lakers are awful now, and so is he. And yet Bryant is still chucking up more shots than anyone else in purple and gold. Only now, as the giant orange orb sets in the Pacific, he is suddenly discovering sentimentality and empathy? Bryant, who is triple pump-faking shots before he clanks them, is doing the same with his retirement.

“Dear Basketball” is not a retirement announcement; it’s a Dear John letter. Bryant wants to remain a friend with benefits with hoops until mid-April. Basketball’s retort? “I’ve found someone new. His name is Stephen Curry.”

http://www.newsweek.com/nba-fans-cant-wait-until-june-kobe-bryant-should-retire-now-399899

YIKES!

being a legendary dick + Sticking around too long ≠ Good Times

I blame Jim Buss
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 09:39 am
@hawkeye10,

how bad are the Lakers this year?

they got beat by the lowly Sixers last night, a team that had lost 28 in a row dating back to last season...
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2015 09:44 am
@Region Philbis,
I was reading that Kobe owes the team and the fans quitting right now, today, and not taking another dime. I agree.

And damn, this is settled now, Jeanie has to take control.