Red wine ice cream float anyone?

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 01:31 pm
Red wine ice cream float anyone? Other then vanilla ice cream, what type of ice cream would be great in this magnificent invention? What kind of red wine should be used?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 6,870 • Replies: 20
Topic Closed
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Lustig Andrei
  Selected Answer

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 02:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Have you and BumbleBeeBoogie conspired to do this to us today? First, her history of ice cream thread which made my mouth water. Now with you with the ice cream float which is loosening up my dentures. Stop already!!!
tsarstepan

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 02:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
BBB and Sturgis both inspired this thread. Blame them not me. I am merely a frozen dairy-based vessel.
Sturgis

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 02:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
BBB and Sturgis both inspired this thread. Blame them not me. I am merely a frozen dairy-based vessel.

Yeah; but, you are a well known ice cream fan
http://able2know.org/topic/162311-1
http://able2know.org/topic/153148-1
so it was with that in mind that I first placed the red wine ice cream in front of you. See? I'm innocent, innocent gosh darn it!
tsarstepan

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 02:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Am I an ice cream enabler? Yes! Yes sir! YES I AM!
0 Replies

George

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 04:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Red wine ice cream float anyone? Other then vanilla ice cream, what type
of ice cream would be great in this magnificent invention? What kind of
red wine should be used?
Ruby port
ossobuco

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 05:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Maybe a fruit ice cream, one of the fruits in Sangria. I haven't had sangria in years, so I don't remember..

Adds, the BBB thread has gotten me to be making a cocoa gelato concoction to chill overnight (will add almonds and vanilla). Will report back.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Sat 8 Dec, 2012 05:17 pm
@George,
I'm thinking a merlot.
George

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yeah, reduced just a bit then chilled.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
No red. MD-2020.
George

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Kiss your stomach lining good-bye.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I'm thinking a merlot.

I'm thinking anything other than a merlot!

It's gotta be a sweet red, doesn't it? I'm thinking Lambrusco! Or anything in a jug from Gallo!
ossobuco

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
Lambrusco apparently varies, according to the fellow who lived there, Fbaezer. Me, I dunno. He likely tasted better stuff.

Past that, to me, any wine you add fruit or ice cream to is ordinarily nothing much.

If it is good, I don't quite get it. If it is some supremo port, why would you fool with it.

Still, maybe a pour over ice cream. I remember liking good scotch over good vanilla ice cream, with some bit of espresso grind. Talk about luxurious.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:37 pm
@Ticomaya,
I don't think it's gotta be sweet at all, Tico. You wanna offset the sweetness of the ice cream with something more on the dry side. (But, then, I always hated sweet wines anyway, especially if the sweetness is an add-on in the bottling process.)
Ticomaya

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You may be right, there. I don't know, and don't expect to find out. A red wine ice cream float sounds horrible to me. But then so do french fries and cookies ... but darn it if they don't taste good together!

(I do like merlot ... that's my favorite red.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:19 pm
I'm still saying ugh. It's possible I'd like some venture.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 5 Dec, 2013 08:14 am
I'm thinking mad dog 20/20 or boonesfarm(is that the name?) with maybe a black raspberry flavored ice cream - perhaps the store brand.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 06:35 pm
Back in the 60s, when Ripple wine was the wine of college students, I was given some to drink and thought it tasted like Faygo's Rock n Rye. Think Dr. Pepper if you're not from Michigan. I said immediately that Ripple should be served with either a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a scoop of orange sherbet. I had it both ways back then. The ice cream made the Ripple tolerable.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sat 7 Dec, 2013 06:40 pm
Actually, going with Sangria -- if it is made the genuine way and not the American way full of crap -- is a good suggestion. Put peach ice cream in white wine. I "made" peach wine this year and it was wonderful. It involved putting leaves from a peach tree and a vanilla bean in a bottle of wine for about a month.

I also think citrus sorbet in red wine or cinnamon sorbet in the same or some chocolate ice cream in ruby port or maple ice cream in tawny port might work.
0 Replies

Sanjeev Agrwal

Wed 5 Aug, 2015 01:03 am
Maybe a fruit ice cream, one of the fruits in Sangria. I haven't had sangria in years, so I don't remember.
0 Replies