http://able2know.org/topic/182157-1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 22 • Views: 5,704 • Replies: 46

View best answer, chosen by BeachBoy
aspvenom

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 07:52 am
To my knowledge, I've seen spam threads deleted, internal contents of the thread deleted for reasons such as OP's request or external links, but never have I seen a locked thread in here.
I'm sure you can go to CONTACT US at the very bottom right corner of this web page under "able2know" to find out if that thread can be deleted or locked.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 09:28 am
@aspvenom,
my thread was locked once. a long time ago.

but it doesn't seem to happen now that there are no rules...
DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 09:34 am
@Rockhead,
They used to lock threads if discussions got overheated, but it ended up just polluting the site as folks would move the argument to a new thread.

The ignore feature works better, IMO.

You can remove the thread from your view, if you want. If you're getting E-mail notifications, you can turn off the notifications, then just thumb down the thread. You'll never be bothered by it again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
@BeachBoy,
Are you the subject of that thread?
BeachBoy

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 09:53 am
@Setanta,
I am not. The subject of the thread committed suicide last night and I didn’t want to see any negative comments posted by the usual troll who's been posting in it. His friends and family will read it.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 09:55 am
@BeachBoy,
my sympathies to his family and friends.

what a year...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:11 am
@BeachBoy,
BeachBoy, I don't know if the mods will consider deleting it, but you can ask by clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of the page and explaining the situation in the space in the form that will show up.

Oh, and my strong sympathy to family and friends too.
0 Replies

jerksru

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:17 am
@BeachBoy,
I hope you are at peace now Thom. I know you have been through hell this past year. Your "true" friends at your former work place are grieving today. I saw you almost everyday, and even talked to you. Just wish I would have told you how I was praying for you all the time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:15 am
@BeachBoy,
Without rising to that bait about a troll, i asked the question because the answer might have some weight with the moderators. At the bottom right of each page is a link, a rubric entitled "Contact us." Click on that to send a message to administration, and tell them the full story. I don't know what they'll do, but i suspect that the information you could provide might have an effect.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:59 am
@BeachBoy,
Wait...the person who was DUI and killed the pedestrian commited suicide? More tragedy. Very sad.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 01:25 pm
@BeachBoy,
I can understand the emotions however there is no real way of removing informations or comments once they are on the web not with google and wayback machine and so on.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 01:32 pm
We just had a situation where the mods removed some posts (not an entire thread) when the original poster requested it. I think the request would have to come from Morgan as it's his thread. And, even then, I'm not sure they'd remove a 158 page thread with over 3000 replies.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 01:52 pm
@JPB,
I've just been rereading some of the thread. I think it is a worthwhile thread, myself, useful for people to read and learn from, re their/our own decision making. And it's tragic in several ways.
Keith424

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:16 pm
@ossobuco,
The boys are in Puerto Rico until Sunday, they probably don’t even know.

I don’t think the mods will delete the thread nor do I think they should. I don’t believe anyone is going to post ill of the dead. It is a worthwhile thread and perhaps make people think twice about drinking and driving after reading it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:38 pm
@Keith424,
(I agree)
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:36 pm
@BeachBoy,
I can't imagine why anyone would want to post negative comments in that other thread now, particularly given this tragic outcome. What would be the point?

Very little of what was posted in that lengthy thread was personally negative toward the driver involved, it was much more a discussion of the general topic, and the laws, than the particular person involved. Most of the people posting didn't know the man, or even the specifics of the accident or the legal case, so most of the discussion had nothing to do with him--his situation, rather than the man, was the subject of the thread.

I can see some value in leaving that thread open. People who did know him might want to comment or express their feelings. Even those who had simply been following the topic conversation, and had only known of him that way, might want to comment and express their feelings.

It did frequently bother me that the man mentioned in the thread was someone who was not a member of A2K, but who was known to some members here, and, for them, he wasn't just another name in a news story--he was a quite real person toward whom they had feelings one way or another. And that man, or others close to him, might even have been reading or following that thread. Some posters seemed to forget they were commenting about a very real person, that they knew next to nothing about, except for the very few dry details of an accident report in a newspaper, and I thought many of their comments, and conclusions, and outright fantasies, about both the driver and the victim in that accident, were ill-considered, and possibly needlessly hurtful to those more closely involved.

I think that other thread served a very useful educational function in discussing and exploring an important topic, which is drinking and driving, But it also included some posters unsubstantiated, and fanciful, and often thoughtless, speculations about the real people, the driver and the cyclist, involved in a tragic accident, and those comments could have had unforeseen real life repercussions, or caused unnecessary emotional distress to the friends of the driver in that accident, since several friends and acquaintances of the man are A2K members. Comments of that sort generally come too close to being unwarranted, and rather pointless, gossip and therefore serve a very questionable and dubious purpose in these forums. And I've also long felt that way about most of the other threads that name an A2K member as the topic of the thread--including the thread currently active about an A2K member who recently left this site. But, in the thread in question, my feelings were even stronger because such off-handed comments involved one man who was dead, and another who was going through a highly stressful legal ordeal--a very real life and death situation--and the posters making such off-handed gratuitous speculation about these two real men, were simply indulging their own fantasies at someone else's expense, and basically ignoring the impact of their remarks on those A2K members who knew, or were involved with, one of the two men, as well as ignoring the impact on those outside of A2K who were simply following the thread because of a personal interest.

I think that whole issue is worthy of further discussion--and I think it's directly related to your apprehension about what might be posted on that other thread if it is left open. When we're talking about, and speculating about, and even gossiping about, specific known people, people known to others at A2K, should some degree of discretion and self-monitoring be exercised by posters regarding their comments about the person? Are there, or should there be, any standards of decency and fairness for this sort of thing at A2K? Should some posters have given more consideration to the real life impact of their comments in that other thread?

I'd be interested in what those of you, who did know this man, think about that other thread, given that most of it did not focus on that individual in any personal way. For that reason, I'd also like to see the thread stay open so such comments could be posted there. But I certainly understand why you'd like to see the thread closed.

Although I did not know the man, as the result of my involvement in that other thread, he certainly did become very real to me, and I am deeply sorry that his life ended this way.

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 04:47 pm
The individual referenced above has indeed just posted on that thread. The best option, imo, is not to engage him and give him further voice but to simply vote it down.
sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 05:18 pm
@JPB,
Yes, I agree completely.

It's heartening that it was voted down so quickly (it was already below the viewing threshold when I came across it).
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 05:56 pm
@JPB,
Because it had been voted down, I hadn't even noticed that post until you mentioned it.

That miserable hate-monger should be ignored.