if you get it for free!

For the name is not the same
and it never will be,
a dram is only a real dram,
from a bottle of 'Scotch Whisky'.

roger

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 06:17 pm
@writethisway,
Well, since you brought it up, what the heck is a dram? A kind of glass, or maybe a specific measure?

Yeah, I could look it up, but this is more sociable.
roger

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 06:28 pm
Ah! I used to have a bartender who was great with what she called 'free pouring', though in that case, a dram might have been bigger that what you're thinking of.
0 Replies

djjd62

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:16 pm
@roger,
The dram (alternative British spelling drachm; apothecary symbol ʒ; abbreviatted dr) was originally both a coin and a weight in ancient Greece. It refers to a unit of mass in the avoirdupois system, and both a unit of mass and a unit of volume in the apothecaries' system. The unit of volume is more correctly called a fluid dram, fluid drachm, fluidram or fluidrachm

The fluid dram is defined as 1⁄8 of a fluid ounce

Dram is also used informally to mean a small amount of spirituous liquor, especially Scotch whisky. In Scotland a "wee dram" of whisky is around 37 ml.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:27 pm
The problem with the OP is that Bourbon whiskey is much better than Scotch whiskey (or whisky). This is really not open for debate, is it?

I used to like Scotch, but then I came to my senses.
roger

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:34 pm
@Ticomaya,
I always thought scotch tasted somewhat like watered bourbon, and I don't care for bourbon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:40 pm
@Ticomaya,
Bah, humbug.
0 Replies

raprap

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:26 pm
@Ticomaya,
I'm with you--Bourbon is Whiskey, Tennessee Whiskey is Whiskey, Scotch tastes like peat.

Rap
Ragman

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 09:43 pm
@raprap,
Tastes like Pete who? Drunk

I still like the taste of Jack Daniels now and then. The frequency of my imbibing with it is about once per year - typically New Years. I just watch out for the low-hanging chandeliers.
roger

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 10:00 pm
@Ragman,
I favor Crown Royal when there's a real good sale. Otherwise, VO if it's not on sale. Iffen there's no good prices on either, I can do without.
Ticomaya

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 11:07 pm
@roger,
Those Canadian blended whiskeys are fine (good even) when mixing with cola/soda, but not so good if you are drinking neat/straight, IMHO.
roger

Wed 5 Dec, 2012 11:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
I just go with iced water on the side. For mixing, I guess Seagrams 7 would be okay. Taken straight up, it's on the wrong side of the threshhold.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 6 Dec, 2012 04:01 am
He's full of poop. The word is uisge . . . when you walk down the street in Ireland, you see little metal plugs in the street which read "Uisge." They're put there by the water company, because uisge means water.
izzythepush

Thu 6 Dec, 2012 04:14 am
@Ticomaya,
Your countrymen wouldn't agree.

'Here's a story about a man who invented the single malt, he took it to America, and in the way Americans can only do, they totally fucked it up.'
2PacksAday

Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Single malt scotch, is the only way to go.

My family is from Loch Rannoch.....Kinloch....the closest distillery {that I can tell anyway} is in Aberfeldy, {10 miles} but there is also Blair Athol, and Edradour, which are both in Pithlochry {20 miles}....I would love to have a bottle from any one of those.

I guess I could always ask McTag to do a bit of trans-Atlantic bootleggin for me.
2PacksAday

Thu 6 Dec, 2012 10:33 pm
@2PacksAday,
Oh, and Rich Hall is one of my all time favorites.
Ceili

Fri 7 Dec, 2012 12:21 am
@Setanta,
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5335_126609494501_5800804_n.jpg
A picture I took of a water pipe access in S. Ireland.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:24 am
@2PacksAday,
He is brilliant. There's a website called the whisky exchange that might be able to help you out.
ossobuco

Fri 7 Dec, 2012 08:19 pm
@2PacksAday,
I'm so with 2packs on this one, though I don't mind a really good bourbon either.

ossobuco

Fri 7 Dec, 2012 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Now to think up some poetry that is fitting.

I'll have to work on it.

Where is JJorge?
0 Replies