What are creationist explanations of hiccups and goosebumps?

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 02:39 pm
I was watching "Mankind Rising" on the science channel and found the evolutionary explanation of hiccups and goosebumps but was just wondering how young earth creationist's try and explain this occurrence?

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 02:43 pm
@TheFallout,
"God moves in mysterious ways," I'd imagine.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:06 pm
Evolutionary scientists point out that the cause of hiccups is an example how mammals were NOT intelligently designed. The laryngeal nerve that connects the brain to the larynx is about seven times longer than it needs to be. Instead of going from the brain directly into the throat, the laryngeal nerve travels from the brain into the chest and then loops around before it goes to tha larynx. This bad design is considered the cause of hiccups.

A scientist in Germany, who promotes intelligent design so much that he was censured by the university he works for, wrote a paper giving a different explanation. He claims that the long route the nerve takes helps in ennervating the cardiovascular system.
TheFallout

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:13 pm
I've also been web surfing for an answer and a funny one I came across was "Maybe it was cheaper to alter the original design than create a whole new one?"
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:15 pm
@TheFallout,
Hiccups are just god's way of letting you know you've had too much beer to drink. Not sure about goosebumps.

And cocaine is god's way of telling you you've got too much money.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:22 pm
@wandeljw,
http://i48.tinypic.com/2cd7ix5.jpg
0 Replies

RST

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:32 pm
@TheFallout,
Do people who believe in creationist still exist? I thought they went extinct.
TheFallout

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Funny but I get hiccups and don't drink...it usually happens when I eat starch without something to drink (particularly sandwiches).
0 Replies

TheFallout

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:38 pm
@RST,
Well, scarily enough, I live then the bible belt (South Carolina) and I've actually witnessed first-hand, a religious billboard that denounced evolution...and it was recent too.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 04:54 pm
@RST,
RST wrote:

Do people who believe in creationist still exist? I thought they went extinct.

Wishful thinking, RST. We have a couple at least right here on A2K.
0 Replies

Ken Fabos

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 02:51 pm
@TheFallout,
Was there any mention of hairs as sensory organs, with hair shafts as the 'feelers' and the follicle and skin holding the necessary nerve receptors?

We feel it when they are touched or moved. Goosebumps cause the hairs to stand on end and that extends the range of our sense of touch to the maximum distance beyond the skin. The hairs get separated too, so there is less dampening of the mechanical signal from the hair shaft being laid against others, so sensitivity is increased. So goosebumps provide a valuable service, making us aware of the presence of insects etc.

I would also point out that hairs as sensory receptors, with the ability to stand on end, probably predate hairs as insulation- and very probably existed before evolution of mammals as a distinct group.
0 Replies