Were you ever the only person (alone) watching a movie in the theater?

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 11:13 am
Have you ever found yourself watching a movie in the movie theater all by yourself?

Was it a matinee? A midnight screening? A really decrepit cinema? A movie theater you personally own??

Me? The closest I have ever gotten was me and one other person.

Right now there's eight of us waiting to watch the 12:10 screening of Skyfall.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 4,190 • Replies: 17

RST

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 11:34 am
@tsarstepan,
No because I have never gone to the movie alone, always gone as a couple. I have to try going alone sometime to a flick that isn't mainstream once in a while. I'll let you know when I've done that.
On second though If I did go alone who will I use as a human shield in case stuff gets real bad? Just kidding, ignore what I just said.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 01:00 pm
Yes and ironically, it was for Skyfall. (which by the way, I was really disappointed with) mid-afternoon show.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 01:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't remember being the only person in any theater, but there's been times when very few were in the theater. I just can't remember which movies they were. We rarely go to movies, but my wife and I went to see Lincoln last Sunday. Excellent movie. The funny thing is it didn't seem it was that long, but it's almost 2.5 hours long.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 02:12 pm
never
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 07:31 pm
Twice. Once for the most recent Star Trek. That was an afternoon sitting. And only a couple of months ago for the new Spiderman. That was about 9pm on a Saturday night. The cinema for that one is in a reasonably quiet area, but after seeing the movie, the low attendance really didn't surprise me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 08:11 pm
The only Batman movie where George Clooney played Batman (I don't remember the title). A nearby theater had a showing at nine o'clock on a Saturday morning. I told my two sons that we better go early before the crowds start. I think the three of us were the only ones at that showing.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:02 am
@wandeljw,
Batman & Robin (1997) with an average IMDb rating of 3.6/10 121,855 votes. That was no surprise it was an empty movie theater on a Saturday morning. Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 05:07 am
I only go to the cinema with my little boy nowadays. We went to see a matinee performance of Hoodwinked, and had to ask the usher to turn the light on, and twenty minutes later to start the film.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:02 am
@tsarstepan,
quite often, when i lived in Toronto in the 80's my day off (other than Sunday) for a number of years was Wednesday, saw a lot of matinees many empty

this was in the early days of the multiplex, one such place the Cineplex in the Eatons Centre had some really small theatres,and since i've always liked cheesy sci if and horror i saw many films by myself

another notable event took place later in the 80's a small three storey theatre balled the Backstage, it had three small screens and once showed a month long retrospective of all the Woody Allen films to date, three different films playing for a select number of days, saw at least 4 films in that series alone
djjd62

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2012 06:07 am
@djjd62,
this was one i saw alone in the Cineplex

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODM1NDY2MzYyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODk4ODIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

i see it was actually released in '79, but it's British so me not seeing it until 81 in Canada makes sense, a truly awful/wonderful film

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 01:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Waiting for the screening of Chef (2014). Starting in 30 or so minutes. So far no one else in the theater.
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Aren't you glad you got there 30 minutes early to get a good seat? Cool
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:08 pm
@chai2,
To be fair, I had nothing better to do this afternoon. Plus 20+ people came in after I made that post. Once again, foiled in my nonattempt to be the only one in the movie theater.

Well it's a good thing that more people came in. Chef was a really cute movie. Good thing tickets were sold though it's not likely to push the film to this weekend's top ten box office intake.
giujohn

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:12 pm
It has happened several times to me over the years...I usually go on a WED. afternoon. It just happened this week when I saw Edge of Tommorrow in 3d...dont waste your $ it's Groundhod Day with aliens.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
You know me already, read the trades at the least from the fifties. ****, my birth was announced there, somewhere, early forties.

What I am sorry about is the giant loss of loving of real screened films.

I blame asbestos, and failure to fix the many good theaters for reasons I don't get. The theater that meant so much to me (don't get me started) became a swap meet shop.

Or - maybe fear of downtowns and people of color over some years was at the heart of all of this.

I don't hate all suburban small theaters - I saw Shoah in one, but mostly I am not happy.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes, more than once.

When I was a trial attorney,
coming back from court in the morning (or later)
I sometimes stopped for a movie in Manhattan.

I don t go to decrepit cinemas.
I like the GOOD ONES.

David
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 12:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Three minutes until the screening of Boy and the World (2013), a Brazilian animated film and the last feature length animated Oscar nominated film for 2016 I've yet to see.

Thought I would be the only person in the theater this afternoon.

Five people just meandered in. Maybe next time.
0 Replies