What does "Folkalizer" mean? Plz HELP ME!!!!

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:17 am
The word is associated with Rainbow tribe and Rainbow Gathering or something. It is really hard for me to understand.

Thank you very much

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:08 am
Well, that's a good one. I had never heard of the Rainbow tribe, nor of a Rainbow gathering. It appears, however, that for many, nany years, a diverse group of people have met each year to enjoy a "spiritual" experience, much like a large gathering of hippies. There is some drinking of alcohol, and some use of marijuana. As for "folkalizer," i found this:

Quote:
Along the trail, family members can be found reading, sewing, strumming guitars, slapping drums or just hanging out. The snowcapped Uinta Mountains tower in a bright, blue sky over alpine meadows. Bare-chested young women and men lounge in the grass smoking marijuana, while other more serious types philosophize in discussion groups. Were it not for the mud and mosquitoes, it might well be paradise.

Greg Sherrill, a 47-year-old California man, describes himself as a "folkalizer" -- one who facilitates such discussions. "It can be folk realizer," he explains of his self-appointed calling, "or focus realizer, when the group dynamic is brought out."

Apparently, a folkalizer is a person who acts to facilitate discussions which "bring people together"--so this joker is calling himself a "focus realizer," a "folk realizer," someone who facilitates discussions. Folk in this case just meaning folks, people. You can read the page where i found that by clicking here. The page is from Cannabis News.
michaelzhang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:12 am
@Setanta,
Thanks. I also found this page, but it did not make sense to me.

So is it someone like an organizer?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:19 am
@michaelzhang,
From what Set gave you, it appears that a folkalizer is a gentle version of a debate moderator or a unlicensed group therapy counselor. Someone who helps the groups' discussion from digressing or restart it when it comes to an awkward stop.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:24 am
@michaelzhang,
It's a relatively new made up word, and probably is only used by one particular group. If it was a group of professionals it would probably be classed as jargon, but you're right, organiser is about the closest meaning.

Quote:
jar·gon/ˈjärgən/
Noun:
1.Special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand.
2.A form of language regarded as barbarous, debased, or hybrid.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:26 am
@michaelzhang,
To begin with, do you understand the meaning of the word "facilitator"?
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:28 am
@michaelzhang,
See the remark by Tsarstepan. There is a term invented by the academic hippies in the early 1970s, facilitator. Facile is the French word for easy, and facility, in some contexts, can mean easy, the ease of doing something. So, a facilitator is someone who makes things easy. Specifically, in the 1970s academic hippy sense, it means someone who makes a discussion easier, or, as Tsarstepan points out, keeps the discussion on track (note that in the text from that page, this joker calls himself a "focus realizer," meaning, i take it, that he helps the group to keep their focus on the subject of the discussion).

So, it's not so much an organizer, as a moderator.
michaelzhang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:32 am
@ehBeth,
I guess it is similar to promoter, or service provider?
0 Replies

michaelzhang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:32 am
@ehBeth,
I guess it is similar to promoter, or service provider?
michaelzhang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:36 am
@Setanta,
Duly noted!
Merci beaucoup.
0 Replies

michaelzhang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:39 am
@tsarstepan,
Thank you very much
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 07:39 am
@michaelzhang,
A facilitator (in this context) is someone who helps to keep a group discussion moving while also keeping the discussion on topic.

A focus realizer in business terms is someone who helps a group identify/develop the focus of their discussion.

A group may be having a free-flowing discussion, the realizer will/should listen to the discussion, determine what the main theme is and help the group focus their discussion on that area.

The focus realizer helps them figure out what their topic is, the facilitator helps them stay on topic within the discussion, and keeps them talking. One person could have both roles.
0 Replies